**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior member

You might be subjective... why don't you ask a 3rd party that does not know the details to give you their opinion on the shoes?
    Then you might call it a Design of Experiments.

2. chogall

chogall Senior member

Yes they are two different products. Diamant is shoe cream and Renovateur is cleaner + conditioner. They could be two different but I was curious as Men's Ex had listed both for the conditioning part of the shoe care. Besides, shoe cream should have some conditioning properties.

p.s., Don't know if you have access to

3. benhour

benhour Senior member

diamant was the previous hi end polish cream of collonil!! the 1909 line is the leading line of Collonil at this time!
    when 1909 line was first launched collonil stated that this line was launched cause of a celebration(dint remember correctly but i think was for the 100years in the market)! they said that this line is improved at many points( shine and coloring was the things they were promoting most and nourishing in the specified products)

now what i have seen!!
    diammant has less pigments than 1909 creme(makes it better to use it on clothes-bags-furniture)!!

the shine result between them is quite the same with the 1909 shines a little faster-better!(1909 has a more strong cedar oil smell)

[​IMG] [​IMG]

btw diamant has a more jelly texture(cause of less oils are present there)

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  4. Munky

Munky Senior member

Benhour, Thank you for your usual, informative response. It is much appreciated!
    Munky

5. benhour

benhour Senior member

yes i have seen somewhere before that listing from Men's EX mag(in a post but excuse me i cant remember who have posted that) but i think they mabe a misunderstanding on that!!

''Besides, shoe cream should have some conditioning properties'' totally agree with that!!

''p.s., Don't know if you have access to'' my mistake i have to mention that i have these products , the way i wrote it leading to the conclusion that i used only the 1909 cream and renovateur and not diamant too!! i am sorry on that
    you welcome Munky ! always happy to help when i can do it in any way!![​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 1, 2013
  6. Munky

Munky Senior member

Does anyone have experience of using arch support inserts? Some of my shoes (and trainers) have these inbuilt. Are there any problems to bear in mind when inserting a pair of arch support insoles in shoes that do not have them? I seem to have a case of over pronation. Does anyone else use these sorts of arch supports?

I guess that when I win the lottery and get my shoes from John Lobb, they will build in this sort of feature.

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

I have a very high arch and instep, so far The only RTW shoes that have the arch support I need and accommodation for a high instep are st crispins.

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Chogal, where did you get your goat hair brushes? Also, I have noticed that new horsehair brushes are indeed very stiff and can muss a finish if your not careful. My 15 year old Kiwi brush over the years has softened beyond belief. It almost imparts the kind of finish that buffing with a soft cloth does. The only thing I use anymore, new horsehair brushes are like wire brushes compared to it. It even can get a good mirror shine with a drop of water.

9. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How can one tell if their shoe cream is bad? I put some on my shoes and it looks very pasty and hard to buff out.

[​IMG]

Anyone have a picture or something that shows how much Renovatour they use? Three pea size dabs, as per instructions, don't seem to do it.

10. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

Is it just me, or when you apply saphir products (rennovateur, cream) to your shoes, do they seem to coat up in a dullish white, but look better once you buff it out? Just wondering if that's normal.

11. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Normal

12. NeedStyleHelp

NeedStyleHelp Senior member

Thanks.

13. chogall

chogall Senior member

Where did the pea size dabs instruction come from?

14. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013