• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

MrChris

Reaction score
Adding some shine to part of the shoe wardrobe....

a few more shots

benhour

Reaction score
Adding some shine to part of the shoe wardrobe....

great job!!!
fing02[1].gif

i think you have to add some shine to the rest of the shoe to make it look more solid!!

nickwjd

Reaction score
I have a pair of Florsheim Veblens which recently started to squeak really loudly on one side when walking.

After some investigation, I found it's actually the double leather sole which is squeaking. If I press on the outsole firmly with my thumb, right where the sole would bend naturally from walking, I can make it squeak. I don't have to bend the shoe to do this, I just need to press firmly onto the outsole.

I did a search and the most related piece I could find is something from 2004 where Rider mentioned that this is due to an air pocket forming between the outsole and midsole. It certainly feels like I'm pressing down on an air pocket. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm imagining I could just pierce it with a needle to release the air pocket? :-/ Just guessing haha. Would appreciate some input guys. Thanks!

Jim Profit

Reaction score

Hey guys, without searching 435 pages for it - Has anyone dyed their shoes with the Saphir French shoe dye? I've got some Burgundy(ish) Carminas that I've ruined. I had a blotch of cream on the shoe that sat there for a bit. When I tried to remove it, all it did was spread around in to a dark circle. I took some cleaner and tried to use that but all that did was make it quite dark and spread the cream. I didn't have Renomat to use on the spot, so I had to wait two weeks to get it (the place I got it from sucked). When I used the renomat, it would not come off. I used enough to where the original color started to remove, but there was still somewhat of a blotch. I think it's clear I need to at least dye them to attempt saving them. I bought Saphir French Neutral, Bordeaux and Black. If I take the neutral to the shoe, then the bordeaux to the shoe (both, so they look alright), do you believe it'll work alright? What steps should I follow? Here are the shoes pre-damage. After the tragedy: The spot is nearly gone, but so is the original dye for the shoe. It's a bit whiter in the area. It's clear I'm still learning how to take care of my shoes ;).. Any help would be appreciated. And I'm prepared to take my lashings from pB and all the other folk.
I would also like to know if there is any standard procedure if you have used too much cream on your shoes. I guess this is pretty common, and you quickly get dark spots on the shoes :censored:

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I would also like to know if there is any standard procedure if you have used too much cream on your shoes. I guess this is pretty common, and you quickly get dark spots on the shoes
censored.gif

1. Test the cream polish first on inconspicuous spots on the shoes such as the inward facing heel cup.
2. If you have to ask, its probably not a good idea.

mstone

Reaction score
I've been lingering for a few months and learning a lot from you all. I'm hoping someone could help me solve an issue I've run into.

I (attempted) to put a mirror shine on the toe cap of a pair of recently bought AE black Fifth Ave. Here were the steps I followed from the moment I purchased the shoes:

Entire shoe:

1. Apply Saphir Renovateur, let dry after 3 min, brush
2. Apply 2 coats of Saphir Pom creme polish, let dry, brush
3. Apply 2 coats of Saphir Pate de luxe wax, brush, buff toe cap

Mirror shine on toe cap: after completing the above, I applied 25-35 thin layers of wax using a cloth "dabbed" with a small amount of water. Using very light pressure.

Honestly, I was very pleased with the results (especially for my first attempt). Though I wouldn't label the shine "mirror," it certainly was on its way. 10-15 more layers of wax would have brought it on.

Here's the issue. After wearing the shoes once, the wax on the left toe cap has begun chipping. I'm not sure why. I imagine there are multiple scenarios. Regardless, I will need to reapply wax. Honestly, I find the whole process therapeutic, so I'm not too worked up about it. However, I understand that applying wax to the chipped surface is a bad idea. So, I'd like to remove the remaining wax from the toe cap, and start from scratch. How might I go about removing the remaining wax? I own Renomat, but I have heard enough horror stories that I'd like to refrain from having to use it if possible. Any suggestions?

I appreciate the help!

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mstone,

It sounds to me that you have coated too much wax polish on your toe caps from your description of wax chipping.

To fix the chipping, simply use renovator to dissolve the top layers of wax, buff, and use water only with very minimal layers of wax to put on a shine. There's absolutely no need to restart the whole process, to use any wax stripper, or to purchase $50 more shoe care product.

SoGent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
mstone,

It sounds to me that you have coated too much wax polish on your toe caps from your description of wax chipping.

To fix the chipping, simply use renovator to dissolve the top layers of wax, buff, and use water only with very minimal layers of wax to put on a shine. There's absolutely no need to restart the whole process, to use any wax stripper, or to purchase $50 more shoe care product.

Agreed. I don't think i've ever heard of or seen wax chipping from a shoe

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I don't think the ingredients have changed since this packaging, they just don't list the ingredients anymore.

For some reason I have the urge to drink a bottle of it and induce vomiting to see what happens. Could be funny.

I have a pair of Florsheim Veblens which recently started to squeak really loudly on one side when walking.

After some investigation, I found it's actually the double leather sole which is squeaking. If I press on the outsole firmly with my thumb, right where the sole would bend naturally from walking, I can make it squeak. I don't have to bend the shoe to do this, I just need to press firmly onto the outsole.

I did a search and the most related piece I could find is something from 2004 where Rider mentioned that this is due to an air pocket forming between the outsole and midsole. It certainly feels like I'm pressing down on an air pocket. Does anyone know how to fix this? I'm imagining I could just pierce it with a needle to release the air pocket? :-/ Just guessing haha. Would appreciate some input guys. Thanks!

Florshiems don't have a midsole, they have a welt, it is a non-issue. Sometimes when the shank of the shoe breaks they can form odd squeaks in weird places. A resole and a replacement shank might solve the problem.

MoneyWellSpent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
For some reason I have the urge to drink a bottle of it and induce vomiting to see what happens. Could be funny.
Florshiems don't have a midsole, they have a welt, it is a non-issue. Sometimes when the shank of the shoe breaks they can form odd squeaks in weird places. A resole and a replacement shank might solve the problem.

Man I had the same thought.

Make sure you have your Will in place first. It was nice knowing you guys.
musicboohoo[1].gif

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dr Marten's Wonder Balm is made of coconut oil, lanolin and beeswax. Is this a good mixture to be putting on your shoes? I notice that it is similar to the GlenKaren conditioner, which is not available in the UK. Any thoughts would be welcome.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Dr Marten's Wonder Balm is made of coconut oil, lanolin and beeswax. Is this a good mixture to be putting on your shoes? I notice that it is similar to the GlenKaren conditioner, which is not available in the UK. Any thoughts would be welcome.

GlenKaren products ARE available to the U.K. Just at a cost. :)

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there any shoe cream/conditioner to which the mantra 'a little goes a long way' does not apply? I would have thought that 'pour it on by the bucket load' would make good marketing sense.
mwink[1].gif

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads