1. Styleforum Gives - Holiday Charity Auction 10: A full set of Aesop's Fables pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing

We are very proud to present this year's edition of the Styleforum Holiday Charity Auctions, this year in support of the Ronald McDonald House Charities of Spokane (www.rmhcspokane.org). Each Auction lasts 24 hours. Please follow and bid on all the auctions.

The 10th auction of the year is for a full set of Aesop's Fable's pocket squares from Vanda Fine Clothing. Please bid often and generously here

Fok and the Styleforum Team.

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Distinguished Member

Maybe I am doing something 'wrong' because I never use as little as 'pea size dabs' and 'three in all'. I usually just dip my ring finger to get Renovateurs, use my index and middle fingers to apply them, and make sure there's enough cream to spread evenly.

Those shoe cream doesn't look dry IMO. I still uses my old Saphir black/dark brown M'dor creams from several years ago before they changed to square bottles.

Last edited: Sep 3, 2013

2. laufer

laufer Distinguished Member

I really hate those square jars. Sorry I have to vent a little bit. Why did they change it?

3. chogall

no idea, but i hate those square jars as well. and i think theres less volume than the big round jar from before?

4. laufer

laufer Distinguished Member

Yes there is less volume I have some old jars too. They were 100ml jars the new jars are 75ml

5. Roycru

Roycru Distinguished Member

The last time I bought some 3 oz tins of Kiwi Shoe Polish they were 59 cents. I had to buy some more recently, and the tins are now 2.5 oz tins and the tins cost $7.49.

[​IMG]

6. stevent

stevent Distinguished Member

Leather soul still has the round 100ml reno jars, been thinking of stocking up a few

Also if reno gets melted it's ok right? Had a jar by window and LA heat pretty much turned it to liquid, feels fine now though after it cooled down

7. nickwjd

nickwjd Well-Known Member

I have been trying some out myself as my feet overpronate as well (or are perhaps slightly flat). What I've found is that even with the thinnest ones I could find, they typically raise your heel too much resulting in heel slip because the heel cup is now more shallow, and depending on your instep and the shoe's instep, makes that area uncomfortable.

The only time I've had good results is when the shoe has a removable insole. My Florsheim Veblens have this, so I remove the original one and replace it with a full length insert which has better arch support. This works well.

For most shoes that don't have a removable insole, I will try the standalone arch support inserts which basically stick into place at the arch. Those should provide support without affecting heel fit.

8. chogall

Not sure if 100F heat alters any of Renovateur's chemical properties, but my garage is usually over 80+ during NorCal summer and 40- during winter. I don't feel any difference after application.

However, wax(?) inside shoe waxes will solidify and form little spheres. And dubbing will liquify and drip grease all over.

9. Mr Engineer

Mr Engineer Distinguished Member

What is the best Neutral wax shoe polish that will not leave a dry white residue on my shoes like Kiwi neutral wax show polish?

10. wurger

wurger Distinguished Member

11. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Posting didn't work!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

12. benhour

benhour Senior Member

creams look ok ,not dry at all to me too!!
    i use most of the time(in the regular maintenance process) about 2ml per shoe(about the size of 2 pea )+ 2 ml of 1909 leather cream!! but always this is depending on the condition of the leather

the only reason i can think is marketing!! + selling les product at the same price 100ml Vs 75ml+ some product is getting wasted in the corners because you cant reach it so you bay more!!! [​IMG]

with witch brand? i heated one wax(completely melted) with a heat gun to make solvents evaporate so to use it easier for mirror shine and never had this problem!

Last edited: Sep 4, 2013

13. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Distinguished Member

It gets well over 100 deg inside the back of a tractor trailer during transit. You're fine.

14. chogall

W.S. Robson's shoe wax. Not sure if the solid gel spheres are wax or other ingredients, will post picture when I have time.

http://www.chainbridgehoney.co.uk/Beeswax-Polish__c-p-0-0-29.aspx

15. kwhunter

kwhunter Senior Member

When it's poured into the jar it's melted, so no worries...