• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe I am doing something 'wrong' because I never use as little as 'pea size dabs' and 'three in all'. I usually just dip my ring finger to get Renovateurs, use my index and middle fingers to apply them, and make sure there's enough cream to spread evenly.

Those shoe cream doesn't look dry IMO. I still uses my old Saphir black/dark brown M'dor creams from several years ago before they changed to square bottles.

Last edited:

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe I am doing something 'wrong' because I never use as little as 'pea size dabs' and 'three in all'.  I usually just dip my ring finger to get Renovateurs, use my index and middle fingers to apply them, and make sure there's enough cream to spread evenly.

Those shoe cream doesn't look dry IMO.  I still uses my old Saphir black/dark brown M'dor creams from several years ago before they changed to square bottles.

I really hate those square jars. Sorry I have to vent a little bit. Why did they change it?

laufer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

no idea, but i hate those square jars as well.  and i think theres less volume than the big round jar from before?

Yes there is less volume I have some old jars too. They were 100ml jars the new jars are 75ml

Roycru

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last time I bought some 3 oz tins of Kiwi Shoe Polish they were 59 cents. I had to buy some more recently, and the tins are now 2.5 oz tins and the tins cost $7.49.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soul still has the round 100ml reno jars, been thinking of stocking up a few

Also if reno gets melted it's ok right? Had a jar by window and LA heat pretty much turned it to liquid, feels fine now though after it cooled down

nickwjd

Reaction score
Does anyone have experience of using arch support inserts? Some of my shoes (and trainers) have these inbuilt. Are there any problems to bear in mind when inserting a pair of arch support insoles in shoes that do not have them? I seem to have a case of over pronation. Does anyone else use these sorts of arch supports?

I guess that when I win the lottery and get my shoes from John Lobb, they will build in this sort of feature.

I have been trying some out myself as my feet overpronate as well (or are perhaps slightly flat). What I've found is that even with the thinnest ones I could find, they typically raise your heel too much resulting in heel slip because the heel cup is now more shallow, and depending on your instep and the shoe's instep, makes that area uncomfortable.

The only time I've had good results is when the shoe has a removable insole. My Florsheim Veblens have this, so I remove the original one and replace it with a full length insert which has better arch support. This works well.

For most shoes that don't have a removable insole, I will try the standalone arch support inserts which basically stick into place at the arch. Those should provide support without affecting heel fit.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Leather soul still has the round 100ml reno jars, been thinking of stocking up a few

Also if reno gets melted it's ok right? Had a jar by window and LA heat pretty much turned it to liquid, feels fine now though after it cooled down

Not sure if 100F heat alters any of Renovateur's chemical properties, but my garage is usually over 80+ during NorCal summer and 40- during winter. I don't feel any difference after application.

However, wax(?) inside shoe waxes will solidify and form little spheres. And dubbing will liquify and drip grease all over.

Mr Engineer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What is the best Neutral wax shoe polish that will not leave a dry white residue on my shoes like Kiwi neutral wax show polish?

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Posting didn't work!

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score
How can one tell if their shoe cream is bad? I put some on my shoes and it looks very pasty and hard to buff out.

Anyone have a picture or something that shows how much Renovatour they use? Three pea size dabs, as per instructions, don't seem to do it.
creams look ok ,not dry at all to me too!!
i use most of the time(in the regular maintenance process) about 2ml per shoe(about the size of 2 pea )+ 2 ml of 1909 leather cream!! but always this is depending on the condition of the leather

I really hate those square jars. Sorry I have to vent a little bit. Why did they change it?
the only reason i can think is marketing!! + selling les product at the same price 100ml Vs 75ml+ some product is getting wasted in the corners because you cant reach it so you bay more!!!
facepalm.gif

However, wax(?) inside shoe waxes will solidify and form little spheres. And dubbing will liquefy and drip grease all over.
with witch brand? i heated one wax(completely melted) with a heat gun to make solvents evaporate so to use it easier for mirror shine and never had this problem!

Last edited:

MarioImpemba

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It gets well over 100 deg inside the back of a tractor trailer during transit. You're fine.

chogall

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
creams look ok ,not dry at all to me too!!
i use most of the time(in the regular maintenance process) about 2ml per shoe(about the size of 2 pea )+ 2 ml of 1909 leather cream!! but always this is depending on the condition of the leather

the only reason i can think is marketing!! + selling les product at the same price 100ml Vs 75ml+ some product is getting wasted in the corners because you cant reach it so you bay more!!!
facepalm.gif

with witch brand? i heated one wax(completely melted) with a heat gun to make solvents evaporate so to use it easier for mirror shine and never had this problem!
W.S. Robson's shoe wax. Not sure if the solid gel spheres are wax or other ingredients, will post picture when I have time.

http://www.chainbridgehoney.co.uk/Beeswax-Polish__c-p-0-0-29.aspx

kwhunter

Reaction score

When it's poured into the jar it's melted, so no worries...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.8%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 23 10.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 16.0%

Forum statistics

Threads