**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. chogall

chogall Senior member

Your local cobbler could reinforce them by gluing a piece of leather.

Don't think this would be fixed during a typical resole.

2. doopdoop

doopdoop Well-Known Member

I just bought a brand new pair of Alden Indy Natural CXL. When should I apply Obenauf's LP and Venetian Shoe Cream? Which should I apply first...if both are applied at once?

Last edited: Aug 26, 2013

3. benhour

benhour Senior member

venetian first cause if you put obenauf's first because of his oily consistency ll keep out of the shoe the venetians beneficial ingredients!
    (that's the reason i can think) maybe glenjay can give a more accurate explanation!!

btw obenaufs tends to darken the color as far as i have seen

4. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Put some conditioner on it and ignore it. That is what I would do.

5. MoneyWellSpent

MoneyWellSpent Senior member

I tend to agree. I've seen something similar in my shoes, and have found that conditioning mitigates it. Assuming your shoes fit properly, and your heel is rubbing excessively when you walk, then the leather is probably just dry and in need of some attention.

6. Freps

Freps New Member

Hey,

Long time lurker here but just created my account. Bought my first couple of AAs a few weeks ago and need some help with what kind of Saphir I should get for them. See shoe in link below. I'm trying to keep the color as it is, not make it darker. I have read that to keep the color I should apply a lighter color polish, so I'm guessing a medium brown would be good?

http://www.allenedmonds.com/aeonline/producti_SF5705_1_40000000001_-1
    [​IMG]

7. doopdoop

Is there any reason to apply the Venetian Shoe Cream or the Obenauf's LP to a brand new pair (of the Alden Indy Natural CXL)? Or should I wait until they look a little dirty?

8. BootSpell

BootSpell Senior member

I have the Indy Nat CXL boots (on the Modified last). They're about a year old and I've never treated them with anything other than Venetian Cream or Saphir's Reno. I don't think I treated them until after about 10 wears. CXL leather is very sturdy and weather resistant. I have heard that Obenauf's LP will darken Nat CXL. VC and Reno do not.

9. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I would actually encourage against applying any waxed shoe polish to Chromexcel. Chromexcel is an oiled leather that is unwaxed. Using Saphir Renovateur or any other polish that contains a wax will change the look of the shoe.

We just picked up (literally I just finished adding the product today) a product that Saphir has just for oiled leathers (including Chromexcel). It is oil-based and does not contain any waxes. Available in neutral, brown, or black. What's nice about the pigmented varieties is that it is a very, very light pigment, so it will not alter the natural look of the finish (also not essential that it's a "perfect" match).

http://www.hangerproject.com/saphir-greasy-leather-cream.html

10. wurger

wurger Senior member

For the bourbon, medium brown will be fine.

11. deburn

deburn Senior member

Why wouldn't you just get the polish that AE recommends?

12. doopdoop

The owner of Horween recommends Venetian Shoe Cream for Chromexcel leather...since you're both reputable...I'm now confused! Ha.

13. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

I personally avoid Venetian shoe cream (regardless of what Horween suggests) because it contains petroleum distillates. Obenauf's would also recommend against using Venetian shoe cream as they are opposed to using products derived from petroleum to care for leather.

I have never seen a shoe explode from the use of Venetian shoe cream, and I have seen some very nice looking shoes that it has been used on. I would even bet there are members of this forum that have used Venetian shoe cream on their shoes for some time. I, however, avoid introducing petroleum distillates into my shoe leather whenever possible (since the naphtha (solvent) in typical shoe polish evaporates relatively quickly I do not worry about that).

14. chogall

chogall Senior member

Or just use dubbin?

15. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

How do you know Venetian contains petroleum distillates? I have been trying to find the ingredients in that stuff for a long time.