• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

IrateCustomer

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

My daddy's works even better. :nodding:

paskaldjay

Reaction score
Yup.
hold the stocking in both hands and stretch it. put the stretched part over the toe cap, move side to side rapidly and lightly. it's an army trick.

Once a time I tried to Bull by using the stocking. It not absorbed the water well & the result, wax became dull instead shine. But when I buff (keep it dry, it's traumatic to combine it with water) with it, the result quite fine although not good as the cotton cloth will. Just ordered some shine cloth from the web - Kiwi, Collonil & so-called professional shine cloth flannel/canvas backed- & arrived today. I found that Flannel material is the softest type to buff & also the best. The surface resistance to leather almost nothing, I can move my finger freely. I haven't use it to bull the shoe (This is what I struggle to, what's the optimum for bulling my shoe)

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Your experience is rather limited to lower end shoes and hence lower end leather and so your advice should be read in that light.

Cheap microfibre cloths are most likely to be polyester. Cloths with a fluffier nap are also most likely to lint. Chances are you'd get the exact same result using a polyester shirt, or a polyester tie, no doubt you own examples of both.

thank you

SHS

Reaction score

Your experience is rather limited to lower end shoes and hence lower end leather and so your advice should be read in that light.

Cheap microfibre cloths are most likely to be polyester. Cloths with a fluffier nap are also most likely to lint. Chances are you'd get the exact same result using a polyester shirt, or a polyester tie, no doubt you own examples of both.

Could you try to contribute with something instead of just being condescending all the time?

Stirling

Reaction score
Could you try to contribute with something instead of just being condescending all the time?

I thought the contribution was clear, don't waste your money on cheap microfibre cloths.

I look forward to your contribution or are you a self appointed moderator?

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

he is one of the best contributors in this thread and i'm glad for that.

you sir, have still a lot to learn. better follow the drumbeaters elsewhere...

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score
It's been so long since I began with 'The Way of the Mirror', I'd completely forgotten how it was with a brand new pitted and uneven surface. Yep, a mirror is possible on any leather, although I've never tried on corrected grain. John Lobb come out the factory fairly smooth, so in a short space of time you're almost there. However, a cheaper, coarser leather will require one hell of a lot more coats. I'm holding a lesser shoe up to the light right now, and can visibly see the pitted surface. What I'll try to do is build up enough coats to even out and 'dissapear' those micro indentations. I'm not trying to polish the wax in the traditional sense, so I understand that there'll be a horrible grinding, feel to the wax being applied. The surface will not shine, even after twenty coats. I simply carry on, leaving the shoe every 10 coats to solidify overnight. You begin to think it's all a waste of time. The coats keep coming, but nothing changes. THEN, as if by magic, a sparkle appears near the edge of the toecap. This is the beginning :)

Once achieved, I've found the mirror impossible to spoil. You can cover the damn thing in Saphir Renovateur, and within 4 -5 coats you're back to seeing your reflection again.

Remember: get into the habit of dumping initial dabs of polish to the MIDDLE of any clear expanse. As tempting as it is, don't apply straight to an edge. You work your way out towards the edges. Failure to do this can result in clogged and lumpy joins/seams.

I only mention the above, as I realize many aren't getting results. Better you understand why you're doing it, than copying any particular and personal technique.

Apologies again for any repetition. I now realize that many don't want to read this entire thread. Anyway, hope it helps someone.

Lear

Last edited:

paskaldjay

Reaction score
^

Mr.Lear, I got similar experience. Some of my shoes was like almost impossible to shine & some very easy. I never found any article regarding what type of leather that's difficult to shine, I'm quite blind - theoretically- when choosing what type of care I would apply to some shoes. But I found some leather If we touch or feel it, we'll know it's the type that's easy to shine etc - at least from my experience up until this time. It's disturbing though when I saw some Japanese shoe shiner is likely could shine every shoes & I can't shine some of shoes
happy.gif

It's the 'secret' I want to find
- Regards

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 38.0%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 92 36.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 29 11.4%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.9%

Forum statistics

Threads