Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. benhour

benhour Senior member

All the time i see shoe restoration on forums ,youtube ets! So when a friend of mine came here and told me ''i have these shoes and they have sentimental value for me,pls do something to save them" i thought they are for recycle bin but i told him "ok lets give it a try and do something about them the hard way!! so here are some pics of them!!
    before :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    they are all covered by mald ,cracked and wet !
    after some cleanning-doing the magic they are saved i supposed :
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    happy end! haha [​IMG]

2. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Guys, what's the best Saphir wax/cream colour for oxblood?I just got a pair of Vass in oxblood and am not really sure what colour to use.Would mahogany be ok?

3. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You might try a Hermes Red or Mahogany. You can see some additional swatches here: http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/blog/cat/Saphir/. Hermes Red is shown in the top-right of the photograph of the piece of paper. And if you scroll down you can see swatches of Mahogany and Hermes Red together on the Allen Edmond Shoe Polish Colors post. And remember that you can mix the colors to create any shade. Sometimes there just isn't a "perfect match." In these instances, you can either mix it yourself or choose a polish in a lighter shade than the shoe you are trying to polish.

4. terrorsquad

terrorsquad Senior member

Thanks for the advice, much appreciated :slayer:

5. justinkapur

justinkapur Senior member

I have the mahogany color and its perfect for oxblood

6. rokr32

rokr32 Active Member

guys i have a question:

I bought 3 loafers a month ago, and one of them i recalled being a little narrow when i bought it, so i assumed the leather would stretch and i'd be alright.

Fast forward to now, and the leather did stretch and the loafer is super comfortable. However, this is the result:

[​IMG]

Due to my wide area in the ball of my foot/pinky toe, the leather has now stretched and the result is what you see in the image (sorry for the angle being a little to the side).

My idea was to expand the toebox, trying to do what the line in red is doing in the image so that it doesn't look as weird with the side of my foot just creeping out there.

My question to you is the following: Should i not worry about this even though it might look weird?

I went today to a cobbler who said he couldn't do anything but i could buy some products and maybe try to do it myself. In other words, he was pretty useless.

Therefore, if I am to try this, how should i proceed? I've heard about newspaper with alcohol or water, but am not sure.

Thanks a lot.

Last edited: Jul 31, 2012

7. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Yikes. I mean you could try shoving a bit of newspaper in there and stretching it out, but who knows. I can definitely see why this would bother you though. I would have a hard time wearing them.

8. benhour

benhour Senior member

you ll need a special spray that used when a shoe is narrow and can stretch the leather a.s.a.p! you spray it on the area of the shoe you want to strech and it ll be ok!! probably u ll have to use a shoe tree( prefer a plastic one cause you dont want the spray absorbed by the wood)!! if the the leather is suede or nuback spray at the inside of the shoe!the saphir product is named "oke" or use some sumilar one!! i have used oke and its great!so that ll fix the look problem at the area u point!! hope i had helped u

Last edited: Aug 1, 2012

9. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

always ask what the producer - vass - recommends. why don't you want to use oxblood?

dunno, if i mentioned it already. i'm no sucker for saphir, anyway.

10. patrickBOOTH

I would use cordovan color wax.

11. fritzl

fritzl Senior member

suede doesn't stretch evenly and due to the loafer construction it will not keep the shape. waste of time and money, imo.

if I should be wrong, i stand corrected.

12. paskaldjay

paskaldjay Active Member

Does anyone have talked about shine cloth? I've try some of my old shirt & I realized there's a lot of variation between those so called Cotton cloth (There's a tight woven one etc)
    I see at some website mostly offer Flannel based cloth . Is all of thing (Canvas, flannel ETC) really matters actually?

13. patrickBOOTH

I would think it depends on what you are using it for. If you are applying polish with it it won't matter, buffing finer things bring out a higher shine. FWIW, I have never buffed a shoe with a cloth, only a horsehair brush.

14. rokr32

rokr32 Active Member

i bought some spray today. Should i try or not?

I really want to be able to wear this loafer because it's the only black one i got; the other two are brown.

if something like this is "passable" then i won't even bother, but i'm assuming it's not.

15. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

You may be right about stretching, but I still love the look of a leather loafer! And black should give good use since it doesn't show dirt as easily as a brown.

Spray those babies!!

BTW - we have the Saphir MDO Suede Spray in black. It's the only color that we have... black didn't sell as well as the browns, hence why it is still in stock.

But any waterproofing spray should work. We actually are now stocking the Terrago Suede Spray because there is still no commitment from Avel on when the Saphir MDO Sprays will be legal to import into the United States... frustrating, I know.