• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Lear

Reaction score
Hi Paskaldjay

I've also seen some of these shoe-shine videos. Who's to say they haven't already got a great shine going on underneath a thin layer of conditioner or soft cream. That hardened candy coating of wax will guarantee a gleaming end result, all within a much shorter space of time.

Lear

Lear

Reaction score
Now I remember; the Japanese guy appears to apply some sort of glistening topcoat. Don't know what it is, or how durable. No way any person could mirror shine that quickly though. Great video!

Lear

Last edited:

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I just tried the dried wax & the result much horrible. The wax become as hard as rock & it's getting harder to apply. Personally I don't like the dried wax, I prefer MDO at it's original state.

Btw, the Japanese strongly recommends a Goat Hair Brush at the finishing touch. They said it's soft enough to make a glassy shine at the end (With some water)

Last edited:

Lear

Reaction score
^

Without watching over your shoulder, I'm not sure what you actually mean.

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Seen that, not very impressive. There's one from *A Suitable Wardrobe which is much better!

I discovered, that all this 'one drop of water' thing, when trying to create a mirror shine, is rubbish! I soak the cloth under water, ring it out completely, then apply a small amount of polish (as usual). It'll start, to make those rings--**it'll look like those brushed metal tables you get at restaurants. Just do this a couple to a few times with new parts of the cloth each time. Repeat the whole process--soaking and all--with the other shoe. The one drop technique is wasted energy.

[VIDEO][/VIDEO]

Last edited:

CalTex

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I discovered, that all this 'one drop of water' thing, when trying to create a mirror shine, is rubbish! I soak the cloth under water, ring it out completely, then apply a small amount of polish (as usual). It'll start, to make those rings--**it'll look like those brushed metal tables you get at restaurants. Just do this a couple to a few times with new parts of the cloth each time. Repeat the whole process--soaking and all--with the other shoe. The one drop technique is wasted energy.

I have not heard this before :paranoia:

Last edited:

JapanAlex01

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
With the one drop thing, you are there for hours. With my method (learnt from elsewhere, of course), it takes 1-3 applicants of polish.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't soak my polishing cloth but I dampen it before starting to polishing and then apply drops of water when needed. Usually only uses about 30 min per shoe.

Wedin

Reaction score
I´d say it depends on the condiotion of the shoe.
If it´s prevously well polished it will be only a few minutes per shoe.

If you need to strip the old polish first you are looking at 1-2 hours work.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I discovered, that all this 'one drop of water' thing, when trying to create a mirror shine, is rubbish! I soak the cloth under water, ring it out completely, then apply a small amount of polish (as usual). It'll start, to make those rings--**it'll look like those brushed metal tables you get at restaurants. Just do this a couple to a few times with new parts of the cloth each time. Repeat the whole process--soaking and all--with the other shoe.
I seen a video made by James May (Top Gear) using this kind of technique (Lesson by the Royal Army).

Last edited:

benhour

Reaction score
As i have seen a lot people say about mirror shine i thought post some pic's !!
cool.gif
my new shoes just arrived so i thought give them a mirror shine!! anjoy gent's!

and not doing the trick to take the picture outside where the sunlight make it easyer to reflect objects on shoes
mwink[1].gif

Crat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice one, though reflections are always much easier to see on black shoes. ;)

benhour

Reaction score
Nice one, though reflections are always much easier to see on black shoes.
wink.gif
yes thats true!! but not a lot easyer inside without flash light
cool.gif
i must have and one pic with brown shoes! i ll post it when i ll find it(or take a new one)!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads