**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Crat

Crat Senior member

Like this? (I only spit-polish the tip of my shoes' toe)
    [​IMG]

2. betep

betep Well-Known Member

Whoops made a separate thread without seeing this: I badly scuffed my shell wingtips and have been trying the spoon method to no avail. Maybe I'm doing it wrong? Any advice, perhaps videos?

Thanks

3. benhour

benhour Senior member

yes quite like this one ,but i have done all the toe of the shoe ! dont cheat with the bright light of the screen ,as you can see there is a reflaction even at the back of the tip of the toe where there is no spit shine! though really great gob [​IMG]

4. Crat

Crat Senior member

5. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Too bad they are derbies.

6. TRIALnERROR

TRIALnERROR Well-Known Member

I purchased this pair of Cole Haan's today to add to my rotation. I noticed what appear to be stretch marks on the right shoe, but unfortunately this was the only pair in my size. Is it possible to polish these out? It's not as noticeable at normal viewing distance, but I would appreciate any suggestions or techniques to assist in removing the stretch marks. Thanks in advance.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Normal viewing distance:
    [​IMG]

Left shoe to compare:

[​IMG]

7. benhour

benhour Senior member

it can be fixed quite easyly! take saphir renovateur and saphir creme universele aplay a generous amount on the creased area and let it soak in the leather!! use the handle of an aplication brush or preferably a bone to push throught that area!! repeat this about 2-3 times and then this stretch marks ll gone! [​IMG] most of the time these creases at this part of the shoe is the resalt of the dryness at the surface of the leather !
    haha just a diference in personal taste
    i am just kiding! [​IMG] its obvious that you have done a good job!! its just wanted to say a lot easyer to see a reflection on a shoe outside in the sunlight or from a tv-pc screen cause of the bright light !

8. patrickBOOTH

patrickBOOTH Senior member Dubiously Honored

Maybe they need to go on a diet?

9. Lear

Lear Senior member

The Shoe Snob sells 75cm Flat, Waxed Dress Shoe Laces.

Colours: Black, Brown, Navy, Purple (violet), Gray, Red (cherry), Powder Blue, Sky Blue, Turquoise, Yellow, Orange, Pink, & Neon Green

Nice bloke. Had a chat with him a couple of months ago. He has a stand inside Gieves & Hawkes at No.1 Savile Row

http://the-shoe-snob.blogspot.co.uk/

Just don't go here:

[​IMG]

I kept my finger on the buzzer of No.1. A rather unpleasant woman screamed at me, yelling how she worked nights and wanted me dead. Mentioning how I was already flushed with Renovateur, and that a little burgundy wax would see me off her property, she went crazy. Anyway, to cut a long story short - and before she called the police - I left empty handed.

Lear (after 23 weeks - still trying to get a mirror shine on suede)

10. MarioImpemba

MarioImpemba Senior member

THANKS! I have never been able to get a mirror finish until I tried this method last night - soaking the cloth as opposed to using a bit of water on the shoe. Appreciate it so much.

11. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

We just started selling the same shoe laces here in the United States (we purchased from Justin): http://www.hangerproject.com/closet/colored-dress-shoe-laces.html

Last edited: Aug 7, 2012

12. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

I'll have to try this also. Still working on trying to produce a finish like this!

I had a nice mirror shine (nothing like benhour's) and then it cracked! So depressing. So, I guess I'll have to strip if off with the Saphir Reno'Mat and start all over again. However, given the amount of time (literally hours) to produce, I am a little reluctant.

Has anyone tried to use a navy polish to produce a mirror finish on black shoes? I tried this. It produce a nice patina and hue that is different than if you use black. Very, very subtle. However, in just the right sunlight...

13. bik2101

bik2101 Senior member

anything i can use on very deep, dry creases? i'll post pictures tonight when i get home but figured i would just ask
    i've already tried saphir repair stuff with a few applications of creme but still pretty deep and dry.

14. Winston S.

Winston S. Senior member

I thought the shoes losing all that weight was the cause of the stretch marks.

15. Lear

Lear Senior member