• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

sdolina

Reaction score
Had changed the wheel on the road, didn't care about boots and logically got the scratches on the both noses of my Carminas.

But that's why I love the shell - easy to repair.

This is after deer bone

after that 5 min brushing (no creame added)

and finally applied some neutral Saphir cordovan creame:

Both boots had the same damages, that are hardly visible now.

Gilmour

Reaction score
I am working my way through this thread, but do not remember any posts related to this question I am about to ask so far in this thread.

I intend to buy a second hand pair Cordovan loafers C&J Harvard they are Dark Brown my plan is to try and change the color as much as I can to Oxblood or at least leaning towards introducing more red into the look of the shoe.

I am thinking that I need the Cordovan (71) and maybe the Neutral also, should I be thinking of getting the Reno`mat also.

Or have I lost the plot
mwink[1].gif

mikeman

Reaction score
Must venetian shoe cream be kept in a opaque container, or would it be fine in a clear jar?

benhour

Reaction score
I am working my way through this thread, but do not remember any posts related to this question I am about to ask so far in this thread.

I intend to buy a second hand pair Cordovan loafers C&J Harvard they are Dark Brown my plan is to try and change the color as much as I can to Oxblood or at least leaning towards introducing more red into the look of the shoe.

I am thinking that I need the Cordovan (71) and maybe the Neutral also, should I be thinking of getting the Reno`mat also.

Or have I lost the plot
there is 3 ways to do something like that!!
1) use renomat to remove all the existing polish on the shoes!!(dont over presure while doing it) ! after that start building layers of Cordovan(71) that ll change the color a little and give something like anticted finish!!as the time passes the color ll be more and more redish! i would try that prosedure cause if you dont like themafter it ,it is reversable!

2) use aceton or other collor stripper to remove old polish and color of the leather! then take an oxblood collor die and aplay to shoes!(i am not sure that this ll work good in cordovan) ! maybe aceton or collor stripper ll damage cordovans leather smooth finish

3) use renomat to remove old polish and some of the finish!! aplay with cotton ball drawing windsore and newton redink! it ll give the oxblood effect!! it is a tecknick used from some profetional to antic shoes but i thin its quite dificult if you havent done it before and u are not a painter!it is not reversable cause of alchol and shelac ink penetrates the leather

in all cases after u have to conditione shoes!for me the first one is what u seek!
hope i helped

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Had changed the wheel on the road, didn't care about boots and logically got the scratches on the both noses of my Carminas.

But that's why I love the shell  - easy to repair.

This is after deer bone

after that 5 min brushing (no creame added)

and finally applied some neutral Saphir cordovan creame:

Both boots had the same damages, that are hardly visible now.

Thank you very much for the pictures, made me deceide that I'll go the Saphir neutral cordovan cream way on my Marlows! The boots are absolutely beautiful, I hope one day I will have such an astonishing pair on my feet.

Gilmour

Reaction score
there is 3 ways to do something like that!!
1) use renomat to remove all the existing polish on the shoes!!(dont over presure while doing it) ! after that start building layers of Cordovan(71) that ll change the color a little and give something like anticted finish!!as the time passes the color ll be more and more redish! i would try that prosedure cause if you dont like themafter it ,it is reversable!

2) use aceton or other collor stripper to remove old polish and color of the leather! then take an oxblood collor die and aplay to shoes!(i am not sure that this ll work good in cordovan) ! maybe aceton or collor stripper ll damage cordovans leather smooth finish

3) use renomat to remove old polish and some of the finish!! aplay with cotton ball drawing windsore and newton redink! it ll give the oxblood effect!! it is a tecknick used from some profetional to antic shoes but i thin its quite dificult if you havent done it before and u are not a painter!it is not reversable cause of alchol and shelac ink penetrates the leather

in all cases after u have to conditione shoes!for me the first one is what u seek!
hope i helped
Thanks for this information benhour

razl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

When you don't care about your Carminas, Carmina shell boots no less, you've lost your way.

That said, I'm glad your repairs were successful.

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Or have I lost the plot
mwink[1].gif

Are you trying to change the color of a pair of SHELL cordovan shoes? Or cordovan-colored calf? Because if they're shell, stripping them with renomat or another solvent is probably NOT a good idea. Shell doesn't really take pigment, and most people would say you shouldn't use regularly-formulated cream polishes on it. I don't think there's an advisable method for changing the color of shell, except for getting a pair in a different color.

bik2101

Reaction score
have a pair of church's oxfords i picked up from a friend. pretty bad, dry creasing on the left shoe and was wondering if there are recommendations i can do to improve it. i've tried using some of the repair cream from saphir but doesn't help too much.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
You can condition them often to try and slow down further damage, but cracks like that only get worse.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Looks like corrected grain/low quality leather as well as a bit too small, so it will probably don't get better.

Dillardiv

Reaction score
I did my best to search for this already, but please excuse if this question has been beat to death: I feel good about my strategy for polishing my dress shoes, but what do you all do for cleaning your more casual leather shoes and boots? I have a pair of the W&H/Dayton service boots and some Clarks desert boots that I've worn into the ground. I use Obenauf's LP, but they need some good cleaning first (basically some stains, and spots). The service boots are in good shape, it's the Clarks that look like crap right now. Any suggestions for cleaning them before using conditioner?

Gilmour

Reaction score
Are you trying to change the color of a pair of SHELL cordovan shoes? Or cordovan-colored calf? Because if they're shell, stripping them with renomat or another solvent is probably NOT a good idea. Shell doesn't really take pigment, and most people would say you shouldn't use regularly-formulated cream polishes on it. I don't think there's an advisable method for changing the color of shell, except for getting a pair in a different color.

Thanks for your input mymil
They are Shell Cordovan, I do not have them yet they are second hand, but yes I was hoping that I could introduce some Red to the dark Brown color but if it can not be done simply then I shall most likely leave them as they are and just use the Saphir Cordovan(71) color pigmented polish cream on them periodically in the hope that over time they may take on hints of red into the dark Brown

Last edited:

mcbrown

Reaction score

When you don't care about your Carminas, Carmina shell boots no less, you've lost your way.
That said, I'm glad your repairs were successful.

When you refuse to change a tire out of fear of damaging your shoes, you've lost your way. :fence:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks for your input mymil
They are Shell Cordovan, I do not have them yet they are second hand, but yes I was hoping that I could introduce some Red to the dark Brown color but if it can not be done simply then I shall most likely leave them as they are and just use the Saphir Cordovan(71) color pigmented polish cream on them periodically in the hope that over time they may take on hints of red into the dark Brown

Regular cream polishes are not recommended for shell. If you're talking about the cordovan-colored shell cordovan cream polish, that should be fine. But I don't think you're going to get the effect you want.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics