Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm pretty sure I've seen Horween say no to Lexol on shell... In fact I think it was followed by multiple exclamation points.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Received my shells today, and WOW, I NEED MORE SHELL! I started with brushing for about 10 minutes, then some saphir, and then more brushing; and they now look beautiful. I stayed away from lexol due to the uncertainty, only used some on the sole. Horween has said both; that it may be used and that it may not be used, but I'm waiting for my neutral saphir shell cordovan cream instead.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012

3. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wow. Well done!

4. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I don't think that's Nick Horween, though... Is it? Why would he be linking to B. Nelson?

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

[​IMG]

100% correct, sorry for the mixup. No lexol on shell then!

8. Gilmour

Gilmour Senior member

Cheers

Yes i was talking about the Cordovan cream polish and also the Cordovan color [​IMG]

9. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

So here is a shoe care question:

Pulled a shoe tree out of my favorite Cheaney's (purchased new from Herring's) and was met with a big green puff of mold. This recently started and I took to wiping down the inside with an alcohol soaked rag prior to treeing. I also stopped treeing after taking them off and began treeing them the next morning. I also wipe down the trees which is killing the ceder smell.

After a month, none of this has helped much and the footbed looks like a forest.

I usually have a three day shoe rotation, never wearing the same shoe twice in a row, they are treed and I don't have a moisture problem in my house.

And yes, I wash both my socks and feet daily. Sometimes twice. And have no issues with my feet.

Oxygen bleach is out, will dissolve the leather (been there with a pair of Church's quarter brogues last year, I cried. They had the same problem). Alcohol will most likely remove tannins and salts making the leather more brittle over time. Tried bleaching some thrifted shoes in a mild chlorine bleach soak (learned from the church's) and (again) disolved the shoes.

Thankfully, my Aldens have been wonderfully free of complaint.

Is there a fix to this? I'm running it of money to buy new shoes and never had this happen to my cheap Timberlands I wore every day in highschool.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012

10. mymil

mymil Senior member

Is it only one this one pair? I imagine it's possible that the the leather was insufficiently or improperly tanned, so it wasn't appropriately preserved.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Operation Tetbury

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now wait untill they're dry...

12. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

NOBD, Could you do a step by step instructional on what you are doing with all materials used.

Thanks

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I´ll give it a try.

– I brushed the shoes to get rid of dust and dirt. I also cleaned the soles with an old brush.

– I put some of the suede shampoo (the small bottle in the pic) in a bowl of water (let's say 1:10 ratio shampoo/water)

– I rinsed the shoes under a running tap (lukewarm); made them real wet (while trying to keep the inside of the shoe dry)

– I took the yellow side of the spunge (not the scratchy green side), dipped it in the bowl with shampoo/water and 'brushed' the whole shoe

– I left it with the shampoo on for a few minutes

– Then I rinsed the shoe under a running tap to remove the soap

– Then I repeated the process and gave the laces a litte rinse in the bowl

– After that, I put newspapers inside the shoe to get the inside dry

– I left the paper in for an hour or so and then put the shoe trees back in

Now, I'll leave them to dry for a day or so (don't know how long it will take). If they're dry tomorrow, I'll give them a brush
    (I use a regular shoe brush, the one you see in the first picture, not a suede brush) and then spray them with Saphir Super
    Invulner spray (the black spray can). After that, I'll apply Saphir Rénovateur to the sole edges and the soles themselves.
    I leave that to dry for say half an hour. If the edges need some colour, I'll use a medium brown Saphir crème to touch
    up the colour. I might do part of the sole as well. I'll leave that to dry, and give it a brush for a nice finish.

That's about it, I think.

14. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

Last year, a pair Church's I purchased with the Cheaney's - a pair of brown quarter brouges - also developed a blooming mold. I tried swishing them with a percarbonate solution which stiffed up the leather, and chemically "burned" them from the inside out.

Should I contact Cheaney and ask them? I will admit that perhaps 5 or 6 times over the two years I've owned them I've worn them back to back.

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

Wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row 5 or 6 times does not cause mold.