**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. grendel

grendel Senior member

I'm pretty sure I've seen Horween say no to Lexol on shell... In fact I think it was followed by multiple exclamation points.

2. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

Received my shells today, and WOW, I NEED MORE SHELL! I started with brushing for about 10 minutes, then some saphir, and then more brushing; and they now look beautiful. I stayed away from lexol due to the uncertainty, only used some on the sole. Horween has said both; that it may be used and that it may not be used, but I'm waiting for my neutral saphir shell cordovan cream instead.

Last edited: Oct 30, 2012
  3. kirbya

kirbya Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Wow. Well done!

4. highlifeman

highlifeman Senior member

5. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

6. grendel

grendel Senior member

I don't think that's Nick Horween, though... Is it? Why would he be linking to B. Nelson?

7. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

[​IMG]

100% correct, sorry for the mixup. No lexol on shell then!

8. Gilmour

Gilmour Senior member

Cheers

Yes i was talking about the Cordovan cream polish and also the Cordovan color [​IMG]

9. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

So here is a shoe care question:

Pulled a shoe tree out of my favorite Cheaney's (purchased new from Herring's) and was met with a big green puff of mold. This recently started and I took to wiping down the inside with an alcohol soaked rag prior to treeing. I also stopped treeing after taking them off and began treeing them the next morning. I also wipe down the trees which is killing the ceder smell.

After a month, none of this has helped much and the footbed looks like a forest.

I usually have a three day shoe rotation, never wearing the same shoe twice in a row, they are treed and I don't have a moisture problem in my house.

And yes, I wash both my socks and feet daily. Sometimes twice. And have no issues with my feet.

Oxygen bleach is out, will dissolve the leather (been there with a pair of Church's quarter brogues last year, I cried. They had the same problem). Alcohol will most likely remove tannins and salts making the leather more brittle over time. Tried bleaching some thrifted shoes in a mild chlorine bleach soak (learned from the church's) and (again) disolved the shoes.

Thankfully, my Aldens have been wonderfully free of complaint.

Is there a fix to this? I'm running it of money to buy new shoes and never had this happen to my cheap Timberlands I wore every day in highschool.

Last edited: Nov 1, 2012
  10. mymil

mymil Senior member

Is it only one this one pair? I imagine it's possible that the the leather was insufficiently or improperly tanned, so it wasn't appropriately preserved.

11. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

Operation Tetbury

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Now wait untill they're dry...

12. djwoblely

djwoblely Senior member

NOBD, Could you do a step by step instructional on what you are doing with all materials used.

Thanks

13. NOBD

NOBD Senior member

I´ll give it a try.

– I brushed the shoes to get rid of dust and dirt. I also cleaned the soles with an old brush.

– I put some of the suede shampoo (the small bottle in the pic) in a bowl of water (let's say 1:10 ratio shampoo/water)

– I rinsed the shoes under a running tap (lukewarm); made them real wet (while trying to keep the inside of the shoe dry)

– I took the yellow side of the spunge (not the scratchy green side), dipped it in the bowl with shampoo/water and 'brushed' the whole shoe

– I left it with the shampoo on for a few minutes

– Then I rinsed the shoe under a running tap to remove the soap

– Then I repeated the process and gave the laces a litte rinse in the bowl

– After that, I put newspapers inside the shoe to get the inside dry

– I left the paper in for an hour or so and then put the shoe trees back in

Now, I'll leave them to dry for a day or so (don't know how long it will take). If they're dry tomorrow, I'll give them a brush
    (I use a regular shoe brush, the one you see in the first picture, not a suede brush) and then spray them with Saphir Super
    Invulner spray (the black spray can). After that, I'll apply Saphir Rénovateur to the sole edges and the soles themselves.
    I leave that to dry for say half an hour. If the edges need some colour, I'll use a medium brown Saphir crème to touch
    up the colour. I might do part of the sole as well. I'll leave that to dry, and give it a brush for a nice finish.

That's about it, I think.

14. pfhtrad

pfhtrad Well-Known Member

Last year, a pair Church's I purchased with the Cheaney's - a pair of brown quarter brouges - also developed a blooming mold. I tried swishing them with a percarbonate solution which stiffed up the leather, and chemically "burned" them from the inside out.

Should I contact Cheaney and ask them? I will admit that perhaps 5 or 6 times over the two years I've owned them I've worn them back to back.

15. mymil

mymil Senior member

Wearing the same pair of shoes two days in a row 5 or 6 times does not cause mold.