• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • UNIFORM LA CHILLICOTHE WORK JACKET Drop, going on right now.

Uniform LA's Chillicothe Work Jacket is an elevated take on the classic Detroit Work Jacket. Made of ultra-premium 14-ounce Japanese canvas, it has been meticulously washed and hand distressed to replicate vintage workwear that’s been worn for years, and available in three colors.

This just dropped today. If you missed out on the preorder, there are some sizes left, but they won't be around for long. Check out the remaining stock here

Good luck!.

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've been given these Loake Chester brogues which I plan on dyeing black as I already have many tan brogues.

Problem is that there is a deep'ish gash near the heel welt about an inch long. It's not all that noticeable when looking from 4 feet up especially once I've dyed them black. The cut must have been caused by a cobbler when resoling them.

However I would like to fill it in somehow or secure it. can anyone recommend some sort of glue that I can use ?

View attachment 1779970 View attachment 1779971 View attachment 1779972

Use some super glue if you feel you need, then fill with renovatrice after dying.

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Any pointers on how to care for and condition horserump leather on boots (specifically the horserump from Maryam tannery). I have a pair on MTO coming in some time, and was wondering whether they are to be treated like calf leather or CXL or shell etc ?

No idea. Call up the tannery for advice?

poena

Reaction score
Had these color 8s for a few years. they've seen pretty much zero wear in the last 2-3 years. Just took them out of the box and what would you say these need?

Attachments

• original_1853f950-a510-4c93-b89b-e114096b467b_PXL_20220408_205401021.jpg
    original_1853f950-a510-4c93-b89b-e114096b467b_PXL_20220408_205401021.jpg
    206.8 KB · Views: 169
  • PXL_20220408_204636123.MP.jpg
    PXL_20220408_204636123.MP.jpg
    187.3 KB · Views: 178

JFWR

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Had these color 8s for a few years. they've seen pretty much zero wear in the last 2-3 years. Just took them out of the box and what would you say these need?

Might want to lightly condition them just to be sure. Could be a bit dry after so long in the box, but probably not much that you need to do besides that and brush.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Any pointers on how to care for and condition horserump leather on boots (specifically the horserump from Maryam tannery). I have a pair on MTO coming in some time, and was wondering whether they are to be treated like calf leather or CXL or shell etc ?
I believe "horse rump" is Shell Cordovan.
Good cleaning with your Leather cleaner of choice. I go with Lexol ...
Then a good conditioning with Bick 4.
Then a bit of Saphir Renovateur Neutral
Then Saphir Cordovan Cream Shoe Polish of a color similar to the original
Serious brushing between all steps... then
Application of Collonil 1909 Neutral , leave it on the shoes, for say an hour, some say overnight, I haven't noticed much difference..Then serious, vigorous brushing.
Voilà!

I was a bit annoyed by the constant shoving-to-your- face, of Saphir products coming from so many Internet influencers... I have come to the conclusion that Saphir is seriously good. few competitors.

Frozenhaze

Reaction score
I believe "horse rump" is Shell Cordovan.

Actually "horse rump" is not Shell Cordovan. Shell Cordovan is an inner layer of a horse rump hide and is located only in certain areas (left and right side of the horse rump hide). Horse rump hide has 2-layer structure, grain and flesh layers. On Shell areas it has three layers, grain, Shell Cordovan and flesh.

Shell Cordovan can be taken only from those two areas by cutting off the grain and flesh layers and using only pristine Shell Cordovan layer without any bug bites or other skin marks.

Depending on supplier, horse rump can be grain layer, flesh layer or even include all three layers (grain, Shell, flesh) in some cases. Usually horse rump refers to those parts of the hide that are leftovers when shell layers have been removed.

ZePrez

Reaction score
Actually "horse rump" is not Shell Cordovan. Shell Cordovan is an inner layer of a horse rump hide and is located only in certain areas (left and right side of the horse rump hide). Horse rump hide has 2-layer structure, grain and flesh layers. On Shell areas it has three layers, grain, Shell Cordovan and flesh.

Shell Cordovan can be taken only from those two areas by cutting off the grain and flesh layers and using only pristine Shell Cordovan layer without any bug bites or other skin marks.

Depending on supplier, horse rump can be grain layer, flesh layer or even include all three layers (grain, Shell, flesh) in some cases. Usually horse rump refers to those parts of the hide that are leftovers when shell layers have been removed.
I love this forum. Thanks for the correction.
Peace.

giblets

Reaction score
I have some shoe cream that seems to have hardened a little (possibly just dried a little), and now more a little paste like. What’s the best way to rehydrate is, is it water based or alcohol? (Or something else?)

Cherokeepilot

Reaction score
First…Shoe Trees with split toes…

Second…then Lincoln or Lexol cleaner, wipe off and let dry overnite

Third…Lexol conditioner, let dry overnite

Fourth…Brush well…then wear for a couple of days…continue shoe trees and brushing…

CWL317

Reaction score
How should you take care of leather soles? Should you apply shoe cream or conditioner to the sole regularly? Will it improve water resistance when walking on damp ground?

florent

Reaction score
How should you take care of leather soles? Should you apply shoe cream or conditioner to the sole regularly? Will it improve water resistance when walking on damp ground?
There are oils made to treat soles but their interest is debated. Some say it protects against water, some say it softens the leather and make it wear out faster.

CWL317

Reaction score
There are oils made to treat soles but their interest is debated. Some say it protects against water, some say it softens the leather and make it wear out faster.
I tried applying some neutral cream to the soles, as some websites suggest to ‘nourish’ the leather, but it made it more slippy on hard floors. Some suggest using neutral polish but I’m certainly not doing that as I don’t want to take a tumble! I might just leave it dry but some say dry leather soles soaks up wet and shortens its life?

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 36.0%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 14.7%

Forum statistics

Threads