• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Stirling

Reaction score
Hempseed oil?!?!?!?!
devil.gif

LOL Given his avatar & his last post it was only a question of time.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I'm also try to make my own cream instead using some popular product such as saphir (This thing was expensive like gold in Indonesia). Japanese Shoe shine lounge also make their own so I thought it would not as difficult as I imagined before. There's a lot of precious oil made in Indonesia, I'm thinkink about making cream which is blend with this

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks - these shoes are actually improving with some care.
The patina colors are much more interesting since I added a couple coats of turquoise cream polish.
And most importantly, the leather has become much more supple and less cardboardy with the application of three heavy coats of mink oil. The creasing is softening - not going away of course - but softening.

After seeing Gdot's comment in the "Rock your socks"-thread I got interested in the use of mink oil. Does anybody have any pros and cons?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

After seeing Gdot's comment in the "Rock your socks"-thread I got interested in the use of mink oil. Does anybody have any pros and cons?

Since it was my comment I'll chime in a bit.

First and foremost - there are lots of people out there who object to mink oil because many formulations also contain silicone, which is said to be harmful to the leather. Also some formulations are said to possibly contain other kinds of fats (platypus, wolverine, whatever!) I cannot say that I have ever seen proof of this one way or another - but it does seem a good idea to make sure you purchase a quality product. One that claims to be pure, or at least silicone free.

Second - applying additional mink oil to an oil stuffed leather such as is used on many work boots will render it impossible to ever get a good shine on the boots. This is due to the oil content already in the leather.

Third - Mink oil will indeed soften the leather a bit - so don't be stupid and put it on leathers that are already soft and supple enough.

Fourth - Saphir Renovateur is mink oil based - so anyone who swears mink oil should never touch your dress shoes should also avoid reno. (Total bunk by the way.)

Fifth - Too much oil can make it hard for the shoes to hold a polish. If this happens buff every week until the oil dries up.

Enjoy the debate!

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thank you very much for the in-depth answer, I've read some about it, both good and bad, but don't have nearly enough knowledge to know both it's short and long time effect on leather.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
U R Welcome.

I forgot to mention that there is some concern that it will turn rancid and rot out the stitching. Perhaps this is possible in work boots or other footwear that gets and stays moist. Never any problem for me with dress shoes that are worn once a week or less.

And of course any kind of moisturizer can darken a very light leather.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
But what about Obenaufs? I've been contemplating about trying out some on the creases of some of my Loakes or boots.

glenjay

Reaction score

U R Welcome.
I forgot to mention that there is some concern that it will turn rancid and rot out the stitching. Perhaps this is possible in work boots or other footwear that gets and stays moist. Never any problem for me with dress shoes that are worn once a week or less.
And of course any kind of moisturizer can darken a very light leather.

Sorry I haven't posted in a while, but I had a few minutes, and I find this topic very interesting.

Most oils/fats used to condition leather seem to be animal fats, like lanolin, mink oil, etc... which are saturated fats, as opposed to vegtable/plant oils like peanut, walnut, olive, corn, etc... which vary in saturation. There is a variation in the types of acid that each oil contains, such as lauric acid, palmitic acid, stearic acic, etc... that help define the saturation.

I wish I understood more as to the impact and longevity of various oils on leather, but I know a saturated fat/oil will not turn rancid nearly a quickly as an unsaturated fat/oil.

I do know enough not to use walnut oil on my walnut brown bluchers.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

But what about Obenaufs? I've been contemplating about trying out some on the creases of some of my Loakes or boots.

I know nothing about that particular product - although Patrick B swears by

One thing is for sure - don't apply anything to just one area - it's the whole upper or nothing. You don't want blotchy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads