**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. cbfn

cbfn Senior member

I love it on my waxy leather, but I haven't tried it on regular claf yet, will keep you guys updated. Thanks for the tip, G, love your pics! :slayer:

2. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Yes but what about pecan oil on pecan colored shoes....................................

Or cherry oil on vintage cherry...........................................what you got to say 'bout that Mr.!?!?!?!!

And since I like a baked potato with sour cream will sour cream also do well on my shoes?

:devil:

I guess there is some logic in using animal based oils on an animal hide. And I'd never dream of putting olive oil or other vegetable based oil on my shoes as I've heard some here say that they have done.

I will drop one more random tidbit. Nick Horween is specific that his shell cordovan is stuffed with a mixture that is high in neetsfeet oil. And thus he recommends it for moisturizing of shell. (Although he also recommends several other products which I can't remember.)

3. glenjay

glenjay Senior member

Sour cream should only be used on cream colored bucs, but be sure to do the whole upper, you don't want blotchy. BTW, it's also a great way to get cats to follow you home.

On a serious note: I have always wondered why you couldn't use something like coconut oil to condition shoes. It is a highly saturated fat, and it is edible. I don't see how it would make a difference from lanolin in hydrating the cellular structure of leather. If anyone knows the answer to this please post.

[disclaimer: my advice on nubuck care is probably incorrect (but don't tell Gdot)]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2012

4. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Hmm I'm somewhat dubious of that. Shell doesn't require moisturising so I suspect Nick didn't say that or what he said was misconstrued.

5. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

It is used in a few products alongside other plant & animal oils. It's never used as a standalone because it has tendency to rub off onto clothing & is comparatively expensive.

6. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Well, shell doesn't often require moisturizing. But it's a myth that it is never required. The fats and waxes that are added back into the shell after tanning are just that - added. Even though the shell fiber is dense and it resists drying, it will eventually dry out just like any other leather.

I've not been able the find the quote from Nick in question. All I've found today from Nick regarding shell care is a specific mention of Venetian and a general recommendation that Saphir makes good products for the care of shell as well. I can also find the recommendation of neetsfeet oil in terms of treating chromexel.

I could perhaps concede that I have conflated these two.

But shell definitely benefits from occasional moisturizing.

Now, can anyone tell me why these cats are following me everywhere?

7. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

whether you've conflated them or not, saphir shell cream is neatsfoot oil based.

8. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

I didn't know that thanks very much for sharing your tanning experience.

9. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Pretty much all the Saphir cream polishes are.

Question is what is neatsfoot oil?

10. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

just animal fat that happens to have the properties of being liquid at low temperatures and some other random shit.

11. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Inclusive of petroleum based mineral oils...

12. Gdot

Gdot Senior member

Made from the shin bones and feet of cattle.

13. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

I believe so, although that might only be for the "compound" and "prime" and lower grades, while "pure" might actually be all animal fat.

14. hendrix

hendrix Ill-proportioned

http://forum.roadfly.com/threads/8242747?p=8249398#post8249398

remembering that Lexol has its own product to endorse...

15. Stirling

Stirling Senior member

Oh Lordy are you for real Gdot? That practice stopped a couple of decades ago (at least!).

You really shouldn't keep quoting stuff you read on the net as some kind of acquired knowledge, highlights your bitsy knowledge no end.

Don't get me wrong I applaud your enthusiasm & helpful disposition on all the threads, but the misinformation & misinterpretations are regrettably frequent.