• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think he meant included the wax polish. The only thing I use the daubers for is getting some wax between the welt and uppers, the rest of the time I apply it with a cotton t-shirt wrapped around my fingers.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The only thing I ever use a dauber for is after it rains and the shoes dry sometimes there is dirt and grit in the welt. I brush it out. Other than that daubers are ****.

acousticfoodie

Reaction score
Does one need to polish and condition shoes that have been in storage for several months even if you had polished them right before storage?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ It can't hurt to condition them to avoid any cracking or extra creasing that might occur if the leather has dried out in that time, although they're probably fine. Since polishing is mostly aesthetic, that's a personal judgment on how they look.

justinkapur

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Does one need to polish and condition shoes that have been in storage for several months even if you had polished them right before storage?

yes in my book. the leather is probably dry from being stored so it doesnt hurt to give them some extra conditioning before wearing for the first time in a while

acousticfoodie

Reaction score

^ It can't hurt to condition them to avoid any cracking or extra creasing that might occur if the leather has dried out in that time, although they're probably fine. Since polishing is mostly aesthetic, that's a personal judgment on how they look.

yes in my book. the leather is probably dry from being stored so it doesnt hurt to give them some extra conditioning before wearing for the first time in a while

Thanks for the responses guys. Can I just polish them with a hybrid creme/wax like AE shoe polish and consider that "conditioning?" Or Do I need to use actual conditioner (just trying to save myself time)?

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks. I think my C&J can use that, the sole doesn't look happy. Any rough guidelines for application -- clean the sole with a damp cloth, rub in the oil, let rest overnight? In what inteverals -- whenever the sole is scuffed?

I have no experience in this regard but what you propose sounds about right to me. As to frequency 4 times a year or after they've been worn in the rain seems about right to me.

justsayno

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Is there a similar burgol product that can be cheaper sourced in good ol USA

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Thanks for the responses guys. Can I just polish them with a hybrid creme/wax like AE shoe polish and consider that "conditioning?" Or Do I need to use actual conditioner (just trying to save myself time)?

I would use an actual conditioner, then polish.

paskaldjay

Reaction score
I found that using a leather lotion (I use collonil 1909) as the solvent in polishing (Wax) gives a much better result than just using water. The lotion smooth out the surface of the leather & as the result give a much better contact when I move around it to buff in small circle.

fritzl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Is there a similar burgol product that can be cheaper sourced in good ol USA

you can use gun oil, if that helps. dunno about the price ratio, though.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads