• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Seems like your foot+shoe flexes where the wax has started to crack. That's part of the issue, the other part (someone can correct me on this) is that your shoes are pebble grain, which is much harder to take polish. What you'll need to do is really push down the wax into the leather (use lots of pressure) and heat, so that the wax melts right in, rather than staying at the surface.

You can remove wax with a damp cloth and pressure, but an easier way is to get a stripper like Renomat. If you're not impatient, wear them until the wax naturally comes off :)

Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend applying heat to shoes. Full stop. Nor would I use 'lots of pressure...so that the wax melts right in'. I don't know exactly what has happened to these shoes but I am pretty sure that heat and pressure won't be the best things to use to sort them out. And don't rush towards the Renomat. Best wishes, Munky.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry, but I wouldn't recommend applying heat to shoes. Full stop. Nor would I use 'lots of pressure...so that the wax melts right in'. I don't know exactly what has happened to these shoes but I am pretty sure that heat and pressure won't be the best things to use to sort them out. And don't rush towards the Renomat. Best wishes, Munky.

To go a little off topic... what about using heat to remove creases? Like in the video?

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky , I think that pressure is adviced when polishing pebble grain shoes, as one needs to reach the "gouges" (I can't find a better word now ...) between pebbles to create an uniform coat that afterwards can be shined. As for "heat", I think that it's the one produced by thorough rubbing - not applied with a torch as in the youtube you posted some time ago ...
I don't know if I'm translating correctly the opinion of Mr. masernaut. Maybe I understood completely wrong ...
All best wishes, Luigi.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@suitforcourt , interesting video, but I wouldn't try that method myself.
And, it seems, the shoes J.Fitzpatrick used as a testbed were already quite screwed before he began. I'm not sure he would have tried on a pair of bang new Edward Green!
I too sometimes use some old, no more worn pairs, to experiment in corpore vili.
Greetings, Luigi.

LLEE

Reaction score
@suitforcourt Re: Heat on shoes. *My experience is limited, so take it for what its worth*.
I have had really good results with a heat gun, conditioner, a spoon and my hands to get 'set in' wrinkles out. Obviously, some wrinkling is totally normal and will never disappear forever. However, on pairs that have either not seen a tree in their life, worn by someone with too small of a foot, or look like they haven't been moisturised in a long long time, I've actually been quite happy with the results. Some seem to claim the results are only temporary, or only with the trees in, but my experience has been different. While the wrinkles often don't entirely stay away, the heavy creasing of the leather which makes the shoe look neglected, as well as the curl (due to the pulling of the creases), is mitigated quite well. The following is what I've done, and has worked for me, in my own limited experience. YMMV.
After a thorough cleaning, with trees in place, and a few days of moisturising, time to break out the heat gun. Be mindful, you want to always have the gun moving, and an adequate distance away from the leather. It will warm quickly, the goal should be the warm the entire thickness of the leather uniformly for the area you are working. If you get to close or too hot, you run the risk of scalding the surface without much positive effect. Some conditioner on the back of a spoon to lubricate, press firmly with the spoon against either a well fitting tree or your hand inside the shoe, and work in a manner which suits the proper shape of the shoe and the direction of the creases you are trying to get out. While doing this, the leather should be uncomfortably warm to the touch, but not hot enough to give you a burn (that would be bad). You will actually see the small creases being worked out as you work them. Immediately replace shoe tree if removed, apply a little more conditioner and let rest for a day.
Obviously, this advice is not congruent with other knowledgeable, respectable members here. So, try at your own risk, maybe not on a new pair of EG's lol. I'll see if I can get some photos of the pairs I've done this to, and have worn at least several times since, just so there's some reference.
Cheers!

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I have seen that video of Justin with a heat gun and the results are indeed impressive. If I had a heat gun I would give this a try, but only on some tired old Barkers that I'm not too bothered about. I would be concerned about the long term effects of this treatment on the leather.

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Munky , I think that pressure is adviced when polishing pebble grain shoes, as one needs to reach the "gouges" (I can't find a better word now ...) between pebbles to create an uniform coat that afterwards can be shined. As for "heat", I think that it's the one produced by thorough rubbing - not applied with a torch as in the youtube you posted some time ago ...
I don't know if I'm translating correctly the opinion of Mr. masernaut. Maybe I understood completely wrong ...
All best wishes, Luigi.

Yes, you're right, Luigi_M. By heat, I mean the heat coming from vigorously rubbing/waxing polish into the leather.

suitforcourt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Call me unimaginative, if you will, but I would never used a heat gun on shoes - even as a last resort. Sincerely yours, Munky.

I have never tried it, and likely never will. Too many possible horror stories can emerge with a heat gun on leather.

clee1982

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
When I was in the military definitely used hair dryer (some used lighter as well), can definitely f’ed it up, but back then it was issued shoes and boots and they were crap leather couldn’t careless unless I do actually f’ed it up...

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think that all the heat a beloved shoe needs should come from its owner's hands.
Just rub them.
All in all, I'd never use a heat gun to warm a lady ... :D
Yours (better with words than with facts), Luigi.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
Oooh I have just spotted some new Saphir products on the A Fine Pair Of Shoes website;

First up - Saphir Cleaning Lotion with Carnauba Wax 125ml
"Cleaning Lotion by Saphir is more efficient than the very gentle Universal Cream by Saphir, but less strong than Renomat by Saphir" I'm going to buy some of this to check it out. Could this be the missing link we have been looking for? Simple cleaning and wax removal jobs without using the harsh, last resort Renomat?

Next, Saphir Amiral High Gloss Wax Polish 50ml
Note, this is different to the high gloss wax they released fairly recently.
"Allows quicker results than using Saphir Médaille d'Or Pâte de Luxe (which has a softer formula which, nourishes and hydrates the leather, which Amiral Gloss does not) because it dries faster."

There are some other new products like a shampoo spray(?) but the above two are probably the most interesting.

Any thoughts?

Chowkin

Reaction score
The second one
Saphir Amiral High Gloss Wax Polish 50ml
Note, this is different to the high gloss wax they released fairly recently.
"Allows quicker results than using Saphir Médaille d'Or Pâte de Luxe (which has a softer formula which, nourishes and hydrates the leather, which Amiral Gloss does not) because it dries faster."

There are some other new products like a shampoo spray(?) but the above two are probably the most interesting.

Any thoughts?

That’s a cheaper version (Beauté du Cuir line) of the Mirror Gloss.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I still don't understand the pursuit of using more and more products on shoes. Look after your shoes? Certainly. Brush and polish them? Certainly. Strip back polish and and find ever more exotic things to put on your shoes? Why? Heat guns? No. Shoes will age. They will develop a patina, over time. Now leave them alone. Yours, as always, Munky.

stephenaf2003

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Interesting conversation, interesting opinion’s.

My take is since the shoes belong to the persons that are doing the experiment, more power to them. I’ve read about quite a few interesting ideas on this blog. Most of which I’m not willing to try. And to those that have experimented, and are brave enough to post the results and take the ridicule of the sf warriors, I say thank you for letting me live vicariously through you.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads