1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. thefastlife

thefastlife Distinguished Member

hey all. i come to you for advice.

i've been trying to sell off 2 pairs of relatively nice shoes (Sanders & Sanders) at, what i think, is a very fair price. one is NIB, the other worn once - only selling due to fit.

neither are getting traction on here or on ebay - i have them listed ~$100/ea. my assumption is it's more due to name recognition than price/quality.

any thoughts?

thanks!

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have a really nice pair of Sander's brogues. They look like Tricker's brogues but are (understandably) less finely made. They are, though, very smart and very comfortable to wear.

I think some of your problem may be down to name recognition. I haven't read much about Sander' shoes, on the internet. I'm not sure what the answer is, though! For me, they are great shoes. Your suggested prices seem about right. I paid £250 for my brogues.

3. Chowkin

Chowkin Senior Member

4. bicycleradical

bicycleradical Member

5. TonyJoe

TonyJoe Active Member

6. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

I have sometimes compared Sander's brogues with Tricker's. I came across this statement, on a page about Thom Browne shoes, that explains things a bit.

"Thom Browne’s iconic aesthetic would not be complete without a pair of the all black, chunky, grosgrain back tab, calf pebble grain longwings. The shoes have been manufactured by Sanders in England since 2011 (Tricker’s prior) and built like a tank. Honestly I have never owned a shoe that was as solid as these".

7. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I actually reach for my suede shoes on rainy days such as today in New York. Harder to tell they have been through the rain compared to polished shoes from my experience.

Also surprised as to how many people are using Renomat. I bought a bottle several years ago and have yet had an instance to reach for it. Based on what I've read on how harsh it is, I can't imagine leaving them on shoes overnight,

8. TheForeigner

TheForeigner Well-Known Member

D1AEA44B-2456-4B51-97A3-7B6557A95031.jpeg Hi,

I have recently spot shined the toe caps or toes of most of my shoes. I found it to be unexpectedly therapeutic. However I seem to have an issue with one pair, a brogue boot. I made sure to only apply wax to the toe, but after I wore them to the store it seemed to be cracking up nonetheless, see picture for reference. Is this because I applied to wax on too big an area? Or could it be that I wore them less than an hour after I finished shining them? Also, how do I best remove the wax? Go at it neutral shoe cream and a rag?

Best

9. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

^ Seems like your foot+shoe flexes where the wax has started to crack. That's part of the issue, the other part (someone can correct me on this) is that your shoes are pebble grain, which is much harder to take polish. What you'll need to do is really push down the wax into the leather (use lots of pressure) and heat, so that the wax melts right in, rather than staying at the surface.

You can remove wax with a damp cloth and pressure, but an easier way is to get a stripper like Renomat. If you're not impatient, wear them until the wax naturally comes off :)

10. masernaut

masernaut Senior Member

Ooh... not my size... Have you tried Grailed? You can try selling there. As for people not buying them - it could be more than just name. Keep trying.