• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

thefastlife

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
hey all. i come to you for advice.

i've been trying to sell off 2 pairs of relatively nice shoes (Sanders & Sanders) at, what i think, is a very fair price. one is NIB, the other worn once - only selling due to fit.

neither are getting traction on here or on ebay - i have them listed ~$100/ea. my assumption is it's more due to name recognition than price/quality.

any thoughts?

thanks!

sEF8FNK.jpg

QEeeZWD.jpg

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

i've been trying to sell off 2 pairs of relatively nice shoes (Sanders & Sanders) at, what i think, is a very fair price. one is NIB, the other worn once - only selling due to fit.

neither are getting traction on here or on ebay - i have them listed ~$100/ea. my assumption is it's more due to name recognition than price/quality.

any thoughts?

thanks!

sEF8FNK.jpg

QEeeZWD.jpg

I have a really nice pair of Sander's brogues. They look like Tricker's brogues but are (understandably) less finely made. They are, though, very smart and very comfortable to wear.

I think some of your problem may be down to name recognition. I haven't read much about Sander' shoes, on the internet. I'm not sure what the answer is, though! For me, they are great shoes. Your suggested prices seem about right. I paid £250 for my brogues.

Munky

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have sometimes compared Sander's brogues with Tricker's. I came across this statement, on a page about Thom Browne shoes, that explains things a bit.

"Thom Browne’s iconic aesthetic would not be complete without a pair of the all black, chunky, grosgrain back tab, calf pebble grain longwings. The shoes have been manufactured by Sanders in England since 2011 (Tricker’s prior) and built like a tank. Honestly I have never owned a shoe that was as solid as these".

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This said, suede is not best suited for use in wet, slushy, etc. environment.

I actually reach for my suede shoes on rainy days such as today in New York. Harder to tell they have been through the rain compared to polished shoes from my experience.

Also surprised as to how many people are using Renomat. I bought a bottle several years ago and have yet had an instance to reach for it. Based on what I've read on how harsh it is, I can't imagine leaving them on shoes overnight,

TheForeigner

Reaction score
D1AEA44B-2456-4B51-97A3-7B6557A95031.jpeg
Hi,

I have recently spot shined the toe caps or toes of most of my shoes. I found it to be unexpectedly therapeutic. However I seem to have an issue with one pair, a brogue boot. I made sure to only apply wax to the toe, but after I wore them to the store it seemed to be cracking up nonetheless, see picture for reference. Is this because I applied to wax on too big an area? Or could it be that I wore them less than an hour after I finished shining them? Also, how do I best remove the wax? Go at it neutral shoe cream and a rag?

Best

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
^ Seems like your foot+shoe flexes where the wax has started to crack. That's part of the issue, the other part (someone can correct me on this) is that your shoes are pebble grain, which is much harder to take polish. What you'll need to do is really push down the wax into the leather (use lots of pressure) and heat, so that the wax melts right in, rather than staying at the surface.

You can remove wax with a damp cloth and pressure, but an easier way is to get a stripper like Renomat. If you're not impatient, wear them until the wax naturally comes off :)

masernaut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ooh... not my size... Have you tried Grailed? You can try selling there. As for people not buying them - it could be more than just name. Keep trying.

EnglishShoes

Reaction score
I actually reach for my suede shoes on rainy days such as today in New York. Harder to tell they have been through the rain compared to polished shoes from my experience.

I am amazed at how well suede can disguise age and wear. I often browse pre-owned shoes on eBay and suede uppers can look perfect whereas the soles are completely worn out!

I only have one pair of suede shoes but I'm determined to give them more wear this summer. I feel I know where I stand with caring for calf leather but I'm still unsure about the properties of suede. I sprayed them with that Saphir Invulner spray when new and I now have a dedicated brush for suede.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Churchill W , my worries about the use of suede shoes in, er., unfriendly environments, concern the possibility of getting stains and/or spots from all the **** that usually comes along wet streets.
A stain on calf may be concealed, with cream, polish etc, instead a stain on suede I find almost impossible to remove without leaving a "bald" spot on the nape, and by sure cannot be concealed.
If you or @EnglishShoes had some experiences managing with stains on suede, would you mind to share them?
Best wishes, Luigi.

Churchill W

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Churchill W , my worries about the use of suede shoes in, er., unfriendly environments, concern the possibility of getting stains and/or spots from all the **** that usually comes along wet streets.
A stain on calf may be concealed, with cream, polish etc, instead a stain on suede I find almost impossible to remove without leaving a "bald" spot on the nape, and by sure cannot be concealed.
If you had some experiences managing with stains on suede, would you mind to share them?
Best wishes, Luigi.
I guess I don't have too many experiences managing stains. Most of my suede shoes are pretty dark, I guess that helps. To be fair I would probably avoid wearing my lighter suede on days where the weather was not cooperating.

Luigi_M

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Good point about dark suede shoes to overcome the "unwillingness to cooperate" of weather!

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads