1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Churchill W

Churchill W Distinguished Member

I've seen rubber suede brushes before that are pretty inexpensive as well plastic bristled ones, but can understand why the brass ones might be too aggressive. The Saphir one I have seems aggressive as you mention.

2. benhour

benhour Senior Member

I would recommend using a bristle horse hair brush or preferably using a short haired horse hair applicator brush!! it is way better for removing dust and dirt i and doesnt damage the leather!!

Generally the brass bristle brushes are designed to raise (or create ) a nap and they are not intended for everyday use ,they must used very sparingly (once /twice a year) and with as less pressure as possible!

i hope i helped a little bit!! (i ll post a photo of my brush when i ll be back home)

3. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

I happened to spot a "natural bristle" kiwi brush in the Supermarket just now and thought I would give it a try.

It feels slightly more stiff than my horse hair brushes. Could it be pig/boar? I'm not sure what else it could be? (Sorry for tiny pic)

brush.jpeg

4. suitforcourt

suitforcourt Senior Member

I don't currently own any suede shoes. But when I did, I simply used this one:

https://www.amazon.ca/Moneysworth-Best-Deluxe-Suede-Brush/dp/B0091NYS5U

Got the job done, and very reasonably priced.

5. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

Hi, English. I would certainly consider paying out for a better brush than this. Look on Amazon for horsehair brushes. They are more expensive but very much better than generic 'shoe brushes'. For me, these (below) are the best of all. They are very large, quite expensive but ideal for both brushing before you go out and buffing up after you have used polish. I keep a pair for each colour of my shoes. I think the initial outlay is worthwhile in the long run. If you feel that this is overkill, just keep one of these brushes to use, for all colours, before you go out.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Woly-Colle...6390824&sr=8-92&keywords=horsehair+shoe+brush

Just a caveat. I only use these on my calf leather shoes. Tricker's, Loake's and so on. I don't use them on my heavily corrected grain Doc Marten's. I use Renapur on those. I put it on with my finger and it doesn't need any further buffing. With my new, blue, Carlos Santos shoes, I use the neutral polish that they gave me with the shoes and then use a cloth just to buff them up a bit. Horses for courses, perhaps, but horse hair works out best in the end. :)

Very best wishes, Munky.

Last edited: Jan 19, 2018 at 11:55 AM

6. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

Hi Munky - That does indeed look like a nice horse hair brush. A bit more plush than the old Barker branded one I have been using most of the time on my calf leathers. I might invest!

For suede though, I heard you should get a stiffer brush to get to the dirt within the pile of the suede surface. I have a stiff nylon suede brush similar to one a couple of posts above but even that seems a bit harsh and leaves lines down the pile.

I'll see how this new brush performs. It's for a summer G&G loafer that doesn't get much dirt/mud on them to be honest. I just need to keep dust off.

7. kevenmee

kevenmee Well-Known Member

Bumping, any thoughts?