1. In 2018. by way of thanks for being a part of this community, we'll be choosing 16 active members of our community at random to receive a special gift and a gift certificate for one of our affiliate vendors, to represent each of our 16 years.

Fok and the Styleforum Team

Dismiss Notice
Dismiss Notice

STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

**The Official Shoe Care Thread: Tutorials, Photos, etc.**

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by Mr. Moo, Feb 28, 2011.

1. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@Munky ... once I read that Steve McQueen was known as "The King of Cool" but you are seriously challenging him!
    What are you wearing your blue shoes with?
    Yours - curious - Luigi.

2. EnglishShoes

EnglishShoes Senior Member

I thought you were quite a conservative guy Munky!

3. Luigi_M

Luigi_M Senior Member

@thefastlife ... first and foremost, kill the moron. This will give you the necessary peace of mind to front the restoration of your boots.
    You did well wiping them with a damp rag, but the risk is that some (I presume) alcohol in the liquid attacked the finish. This you will only be able to tell when the leather has thoroughly dried. If so, you will need some good shoe cream of the same colour of your boots to restore an uniform finish. Apply it really really really sparingly: better repeat applications many times, until you are satisfied, than overdo and create patches.
    DISCLAIMER: that's what I would do to my shoes, but the real expert regularly visiting this thread is Benhour, so you might want he to chime in with his advice.
    Good luck, Luigi.

4. Munky

Munky Distinguished Member

@Luigi. Despite wholecuts being considered formal shoes, I wear mine only with casual clothes - particularly with black jeans. I haven't worn a suit for 10 years. If my wife would allow it, I would buy another two pairs of these shoes, in different colours.

@EnglishShoes. Not that conservative! I have Trickers in red, green and blue. I also have three pairs of Doc Marten shoes and a pair of their boots. I have 14 fedora hats in different shades and colours.

I do worry, though, about what people seem to put on their shoes and what they are prepared to do to them. Brushing and occasional polish seems good enough for me. Yours, with all good wishes, Munky.

5. LLEE

LLEE Member

Munky, love the shoe. I'd love to add some brighter, fun colours. Red and green would be pretty.

6. kevenmee

kevenmee Well-Known Member

My apologies for the dumb question, but seeing some weird grain on my Alden shell. Any advice on how to best clean this up? Will I need to remove the finish with some reno'mat?

[​IMG]

7. george325

george325 Active Member

I have a few normal scuffs on my shoes, nothing major. However, I can't seem to remove them, even the smallest scuff. I've searched and read a bunch of threads and the normal advice is to polish and buff. I've tried applying Allen Edmonds Premium Polish in the matching color of my shoes (which is more of a shoe cream) and letting it set in over night and then buffing with a horsehair brush, but nothing seems to work. Do I need to use a cloth to buff as well or maybe use wax polish as well?

8. bik2101

bik2101 Senior Member

any tips on what I can do for these? I first thought it was a bad polish job so I went with an application of renomat but that doesn't seem to have helped much.

2018-01-15 18.50.52.jpg

2018-01-15 18.51.05.jpg

9. LLEE

LLEE Member

IMG_1113.JPG IMG_1115.JPG Hey Gentlemen,
    I've picked up a pair of Peter Feeney shoes. *Disclaimer* I bought these second hand. They appear to have been worn minimally, and I'm unsure if they were bespoke or one of their MTO offerings; I'd usually not even consider a shoe made for someone else's foot specifically, but they fit too well and are too pretty to have been left behind.
    There is a little tear in the sole covering the stitching. Just wondering if this is common on a (I believe) Blake sole, or if this would have been damaged by some incident? Can I get away with a bit of super glue to close it up and not think twice about it, or could this indicate an inherent fragility? Thank you.