• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I thought the general consensus here was to NOT leave the Reno on for too long as it could be difficult to get off.

The pictogram on the jar says to wait 3 minutes. It will be hard, but not impossible, to buff it down if left on overnight without brushing/buffing first.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I thought the general consensus here was to NOT leave the Reno on for too long as it could be difficult to get off.

Yes.

My understanding is Venetian shoe cream (small amounts) works well on shell.  A quick rub and then brushing (lots) and a final buff.

I hate the ****. It is like paint on the creases, cracks all up. I wouldn't use it on anything. Reno, or Cordovan polish from Saphir, no more questions.

what does it mean if a lot of the polish is coming off on the conditioning rag?

Nothing. It is normal.

The pictogram on the jar says to wait 3 minutes. It will be hard, but not impossible, to buff it down if left on overnight without brushing/buffing first.

Yep.

Bear

Reaction score
Is there a consensus with Reno - does it darken the shoe or will the shoe color restore after drying?

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Background: Some people have claimed that shell cordovan "bloom" (a white residue that appears on the surface of the leather) is somehow linked to water or solutes in water trapped in the leather. Inspired by patrick_b's incredibly detailed tutorial on mirror shining, I did an experiment with my shell boots to see if drying time between wiping them clean and beginning to condition them has any effect on the amount they bloom.

Methods: On two separate occasions I went through my entire routine (cleaning, boning, Reno'ing, brushing, buffing). The first time I allowed them to dry 30 minutes after cleaning, the second 24 hours.

Results: 12 hours later, they bloomed an equally small amount.

Discussion: I guess it doesn't matter how long you let them dry beyond 30 minutes. But since I dry them immediately after wiping them down, there probably isn't much water that needs to evaporate in the first place. Or maybe bloom has nothing to do with water. Either way, a little extra buffing with a soft cloth takes care of everything.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Background: Some people have claimed that shell cordovan "bloom" (a white residue that appears on the surface of the leather) is somehow linked to water or solutes in water trapped in the leather. Inspired by patrick_b's incredibly detailed tutorial on mirror shining, I did an experiment with my shell boots to see if drying time between wiping them clean and beginning to condition them has any effect on the amount they bloom.

Methods: On two separate occasions I went through my entire routine (cleaning, boning, Reno'ing, brushing, buffing). The first time I allowed them to dry 30 minutes after cleaning, the second 24 hours.

Results: 12 hours later, they bloomed an equally small amount.

Discussion: I guess it doesn't matter how long you let them dry beyond 30 minutes. But since I dry them immediately after wiping them down, there probably isn't much water that needs to evaporate in the first place. Or maybe bloom has nothing to do with water. Either way, a little extra buffing with a soft cloth takes care of everything.

Bloom has nothing to do with water. It is just the separation of the oils at the flex point. It is normal.

Btw, I never wipe my shell clean with a damp rag, just a dry cloth. I don't really understand why one does it, especially if they are going to reno them. Why put water on shoes? Water is generally the enemy.

Last edited:

mymil

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Bloom has nothing to do with water. It is just the separation of the oils at the flex point. It is normal.
Btw, I never wipe my shell clean with a damp rag, just a dry cloth. I don't really understand why one does it, especially if they are going to reno them. Why put water on shoes? Water is generally the enemy.
That's what I've always thought---but since some people have made that claim (I've seen it, I swear), why not test it to know for sure?

My logic behind using a very slightly damp rag is that I imagine it helps to remove anything on the surface of the shoe by dissolving (and then wiping away) anything water-soluble. Is it really a little water that is the enemy, or that which is dissolved in water?

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

That's what I've always thought---but since some people have made that claim (I've seen it, I swear), why not test it to know for sure?

My logic behind using a very slightly damp rag is that I imagine it helps to remove anything on the surface of the shoe by dissolving (and then wiping away) anything water-soluble. Is it really a little water that is the enemy, or that which is dissolved in water?

That is what reno does while conditioning. Why use water that is drying? I think if anything it is more harmful (albeit little) than helpful.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never use a damp cloth on shoes unless they have something on them that won't come off with brushing.

My dress shoes rarely see wet or mud or anything as unseemly as the actual out of doors however. They are pampered little babies. When they do encounter mud or some other smudge that won't come off with a brushing then a quick wipe with a damp cloth seems the best option.

In any case - a little swipe with a damp rag is not going to do any harm. But is certainly not a part of my normal routine as it serves no purpose.

As to the bloom in shell. It's a good thing - it shows that the hide is full of wax and oils that are coming up to the surface. New shell shoes that do not 'bloom' should be moisturized, no?

Last edited:

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

I never use a damp cloth on shoes unless they have something on them that won't come off with brushing.
My dress shoes rarely see wet or mud or anything as unseemly as the actual out of doors however. They are pampered little babies. When they do encounter mud or some other smudge that won't come off with a brushing then a quick wipe with a damp cloth seems the best option.
In any case - a little swipe with a damp rag is not going to do any harm. But is certainly not a part of my normal routine as it serves no purpose.
As to the bloom in shell. It's a good thing - it shows that the hide is full of wax and oils that are coming up to the surface. New shell shoes that do not 'bloom' should be moisturized, no?

+1 Sometimes a smudge of something that wont come off with brushing reno does the trick. It's powerful stuff.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads