• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ummmm, huge problem guys. One layer of my heel stack just broke off of my shoe. I have to be out tonight. What do I do??????????? :(

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ummmm, huge problem guys. One layer of my heel stack just broke off of my shoe. I have to be out tonight. What do I do??????????? :(

Shoo goo...or...a perfect excuse to buy some new shoes :). Stop off down at Leffot.

Last edited:

cbfn

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Since Renomat is such a powerful cleaner shouldn't it be wiped off with a moist cloth to get off and dilute some that have been penetrated into the leather?

Gerry Nelson

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ummmm, huge problem guys. One layer of my heel stack just broke off of my shoe. I have to be out tonight. What do I do???????????
frown.gif

So what did you end up doing?

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Patrick - could you post an updated pic of these shoes now that they are breaking in and creasing?

Good idea Bear. Here are some pics taken today of my previously posted Allen Edmonds Kenilworth blucher in Burnished Brown. I plan to strip these and start fresh.

This was the original shine, before they were even worn outside:

Taken today after I wore them to church this AM. They've probably averaged 1.5 wears/week since late Sept. After the original shine, I've brushed regularly and applied Renovateur a couple of times, followed by more brushing. I don't think I've added any additional wax since the initial shine.

SHS

Reaction score
They still look great IMO. I can't really see the creases crisis :)

Last edited:

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Good idea Bear. Here are some pics taken today of my previously posted Allen Edmonds Kenilworth blucher in Burnished Brown. I plan to strip these and start fresh.
This was the original shine, before they were even worn outside:

Personally I wouldn't strip them.

I would apply a coat of paste wax, or two if that's what it takes to get them looking smooth and then go back to just Reno.

I notice when I look at the side of the shoe that they look a little grainy. And the above approach works for me when I see this effect.

Your mileage may vary, of course.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

Shoo goo...or...a perfect excuse to buy some new shoes :). Stop off down at Leffot.

So what did you end up doing?

There was a nail that was coming out so I just slammed my heel down really hard on the floor a few times to nail it back in. It got me through the night. I am sure the rain helped though. It was pouring and I had to walk quite a bit. The swelling probably helped the nail stay in.

kirbya

Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score

patrick_b

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Personally I wouldn't strip them.
I would apply a coat of paste wax, or two if that's what it takes to get them looking smooth and then go back to just Reno.
I notice when I look at the side of the shoe that they look a little grainy. And the above approach works for me when I see this effect.
Your mileage may vary, of course.

Thanks for the feedback Gdot.

Gdot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Thanks for the feedback Gdot.

Just a thought. I've had that look before - it seems to come from the Renovatuer eating away the wax polish but leaving behind the pigments in the cream polish. (Just my theory).

In any case - I'll be interested to see what you do and how they work out. You've been on an interesting journey!

easy_golfing

Reaction score
how long do you let polish dry before wiping it down with some cloth? also, I'm using AE shoe polish so do I just squeeze and rub it on the shoe with the sponge part at the end of the tube, or do I put some polish on a horsehair brush, then apply?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads