• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official NFL Thread: 2012-13 Season

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

It's rare that a great player becomes a great coach in any sport. Players who become quality coaches are usually journeymen. My theory is that the great players don't understand the journeymen and role players, and don't know how to get them to play above themselves in order to win.

i have heard this theory before, and i agree with it for the most part.

True, but I can see Lewis (because of his passion) and Peyton Manning (because of his teaching ability) becoming great coaches if that's what they choose to do after they finish playing. Both of these guys are less-than-elite physical specimens who willed themselves to be great.

I remember reading about how Ray Lewis gets requests all the time to give motivational speeches. The awesome thing was that he frequently accepts them. As in, the Ravens will be playing at Tampa Bay and he'll just drop in to Hillsborough High School to fire up their football team.
He seems like one of those guys you would kill (pun probably intended) to be teammates with and love to play for.

i can not see ray lewis being a head coach. not ever.

great team motivator? absolutely. lower lever defensive coach? maybe. top tier coach? no effing way.

Last edited:

HRoi

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
if you are a top pro athlete that's seen as a leader during your career, chances are you'd be a great motivational speaker as long as you're well-spoken. we've had Alonzo Mourning in for speaking engagements and he was just excellent. of course, he's been through different things that he draws upon to be inspirational, but he does it well. I saw a 30/30 feature on Ray and his dad and I did get the impression that Ray could be the same

Gibonius

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
ESPN rumor mill says Lewis is going to broadcast.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score

ESPN rumor mill says Lewis is going to broadcast.

this makes much more sense. a perfect venue for him to run his loud mouth.

countdemoney

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
There are a few exceptions to the great player/bad coach to include: Bill Russell and Dick Jauron. Lombardi might also be loosely included in this group - he was a member of the "seven blocks of Granite" at Fordham at a time when college was the highest level of football.

In general though, it's a take on, "those who can, do. Those who can't, teach"

fwiffo

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Does this Minnesota quarterback ever throw?

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
looks like houston squeaked by cincy. not a great sign imo. either that or cicny is a lot better than i thought.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Cool thanks.
-
That dude who just scored for GB is a beast.

in stitches

Stylish Dinosaur
Spamminator Moderator
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Wow. Minnesota is just giving this away.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads