• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

dalevy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think lengthening the body ruins it. Just gotta wear some high pants. I’m also average height which helps I guess.
FD97E7B5-3EF8-4C7F-973D-F0FEB211F434.jpeg

justridiculous

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I think lengthening the body ruins it. Just gotta wear some high pants. I’m also average height which helps I guess.
View attachment 1840127

Looks good, but no amount of higher rise helped me, unfortunately. I'm 6'3 with a longer torso, and my 101J hit just below the belly button. Not sure if mine was shorter than usual.

scurvyfreedman

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Next go-around, I'll get more... adventurous

There used to be a leather convention at a hotel near my office. It moved about 15 years ago. But, for several years, there would be a week with a lot of people wearing chaps, with no jeans under them along with leather vests with no shirts. It was quite the scene.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Full on influenced by DWW with some recent thrift finds (is it a find if you’re relentlessly, purposefully searching for it?

Stumbled upon

Where do y’all stand on reproduction updates versus staying true to the original? I wrestle with the idea of changes. I’d hate to place everything on a long, slim-fit, chassis. But on the other hand there’s a difference between novel and good, and man some “updated” repros look so good.

Reason I ask is because I’ve had my eye on the Wrangler Icons selvedge 124MJ. They lengthened the body and slimmed the arms. I think it looks good but definitely different from the originals.

Some rando i screenshot on ig
View attachment 1840123

I leaned hard into repro during The Patricia, as many did. The main appeal for me was that it seems near impossible to find actual vintage that fits me, whereas with repro I have a fair shot. Truthfully, most of my repro is Japanese and therefore cut for Japanese bodies and not necessarily flattering on me in all cases, but still wearable as opposed to real vintage. For me, the cut is only part of the consideration; a larger part is the history, or perceived history, behind the items, as well as the (perceived) niche exclusivity, of course.

If you like a repro because it has a modern take, then get it. If you're lucky enough to fit into vintage and you can find it in decent shape, I'm recently of the position that this is better.

Pandaros

Reaction score
I've been reading American Psycho and, without the insult someone could take out of this, it makes me wonder whether DWW would identify with Patrick Bateman:

Bob Price seems edgy and nervous and I have no desire to ask him what's wrong. He's wearing a linen suit by Canali Milano, a cotton shirt by Ike Behar, a silk tie by Bill Blass and cap-toed leather lace-ups by Brooks Brothers. I'm wearing a lightweight linen suit with pleated trousers, a cotton shirt, a dotted silk tie, all by Valentino Couture, and perforated cap-toe leather shoes by Allen-Edmonds. Once inside Harry's we spot David Van Patten and Craig McDermott at a table up front. Van Patten is wearing a double-breasted wool and silk sport coat, button-fly wool and silk trousers with inverted pleats by Mario Valentino, a cotton shirt by Gitman Brothers, a polka-dot silk tie by Bill Blass, and leather shoes from Brooks Brothers. McDermott is wearing a woven-linen suit with pleated trousers, a button-down cotton and linen shirt by Basile, a silk tie by Joseph Abboud and ostrich loafers from Susan Bennis Warren Edwards.

The two are hunched over the table, writing on the backs of paper napkins, a Scotch and a martini placed respectively in front of them. They wave us over. Price throws his Tumi leather attache case on an empty chair and heads toward the bar. I call out to him for a J&B on the rocks, then sit down with Van Patten and McDermott.

"Hey Bateman," Craig says in a voice that suggests this is not his first martini. "Is it proper to wear tasseled loafers with a business suit or not? Don't look at me like I'm insane!"

"Well guys..." I measure my words carefully, hiding badly how much the question vexes me. "The tasseled loafer is traditionally a casual shoe..."

Last edited:

Jason12

Reaction score
This isn’t really Dieworkwear related, but given that the thread has usually had good discussions I’ll post this here.
I’m not a big fan of the traditional brass button navy blazer, but I absolutely love Mark Cho’s tweed DB with brass buttons.
img-7461-jpg-1652727534.jpg

img-7498-jpg-1652727533.jpg

I initially thought it was a charcoal tweed, but seeing more pictures and The Armoury’s video it turns out to be char-navy cloth (Fox Brothers TD22).
TD22-Char-NavyTwill-FoxBrother-FoxTweed_2_1200x.jpg

Inspired by Mark I’m now thinking of making myself a tweed DB with brass buttons as my next project. The char-navy obviously looks great, but I was thinking that a marled dark brown, dark green or charcoal could also look very nice as long as the brown or green are cold and dark enough. The options in these colours from Fox Brothers (TD20, TD18, TD21) all look like they could work nicely:
TD20-DarkBrownTwill-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_1_1200x.jpg

TD18-DarkOliveTwill-FoxBrothers-FoxTweed_1_1200x.jpg

TD21-CharcoalTwill-FoxBrother-FoxTweed_2_1200x.jpg

What wouldn’t work as nicely with Fox Brothers though is the price of the cloth. As I’m very much an amateur tailor I’d prefer not to drop close to 400 GBP on cloth when the end product may or may not be something I’m happy with.

Some (more reasonably priced) options from Marling and Evans in quite different styles than the Fox Brothers twill tweeds:
View attachment 1821413
View attachment 1821414
View attachment 1821415

Which type of a tweed (colour, pattern, weave) do you think would work nicely as a DB with brass buttons à la Mark Cho? Also straight-up cloth suggestions are welcome. Thanks!

You might want to try Abraham Moon twill Tweed which has a pronounced twill and fuzziness of the fox bros. It weighs around 360g. However the colours tend to be warmer than those fox bros char colours. Spier and Mackay has a large selection for MTO

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I've been reading American Psycho and, without the insult someone could take out of this, it makes me wonder whether DWW would identify with Patrick Bateman:

Bob Price seems edgy and nervous and I have no desire to ask him what's wrong. He's wearing a linen suit by Canali Milano, a cotton shirt by Ike Behar, a silk tie by Bill Blass and cap-toed leather lace-ups by Brooks Brothers. I'm wearing a lightweight linen suit with pleated trousers, a cotton shirt, a dotted silk tie, all by Valentino Couture, and perforated cap-toe leather shoes by Allen-Edmonds. Once inside Harry's we spot David Van Patten and Craig McDermott at a table up front. Van Patten is wearing a double-breasted wool and silk sport coat, button-fly wool and silk trousers with inverted pleats by Mario Valentino, a cotton shirt by Gitman Brothers, a polka-dot silk tie by Bill Blass, and leather shoes from Brooks Brothers. McDermott is wearing a woven-linen suit with pleated trousers, a button-down cotton and linen shirt by Basile, a silk tie by Joseph Abboud and ostrich loafers from Susan Bennis Warren Edwards.

The two are hunched over the table, writing on the backs of paper napkins, a Scotch and a martini placed respectively in front of them. They wave us over. Price throws his Tumi leather attache case on an empty chair and heads toward the bar. I call out to him for a J&B on the rocks, then sit down with Van Patten and McDermott.

"Hey Bateman," Craig says in a voice that suggests this is not his first martini. "Is it proper to wear tasseled loafers with a business suit or not? Don't look at me like I'm insane!"

"Well guys..." I measure my words carefully, hiding badly how much the question vexes me. "The tasseled loafer is traditionally a casual shoe..."

From an article in The Rake about American Psycho:

The writer — who admits “I don’t like clothes” — said he deliberately combined the garments he saw in magazines in haphazard, mismatched fashion. “What a lot of people don’t realise, and what I had a lot of fun with, is that if you really saw the outfits Patrick Bateman describes, they’d look totally ridiculous. He would describe a certain kind of vest with a pair of pants and certain kind of shirt, and you think, ‘He really must know so much,’ but if you actually saw people dressed like this, they would look like clowns. It was a subtle joke. If you read it on a surface level and know nothing about clothes, you read American Psycho and think, ‘My God, we’re in some sort of princely kingdom where everyone just walked out of GQ.’ No. They look like fools. They look like court jesters, most of them.”

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

The writer — who admits “I don’t like clothes” — said he deliberately combined the garments he saw in magazines in haphazard, mismatched fashion. “What a lot of people don’t realise, and what I had a lot of fun with, is that if you really saw the outfits Patrick Bateman describes, they’d look totally ridiculous. He would describe a certain kind of vest with a pair of pants and certain kind of shirt, and you think, ‘He really must know so much,’ but if you actually saw people dressed like this, they would look like clowns. It was a subtle joke. If you read it on a surface level and know nothing about clothes, you read American Psycho and think, ‘My God, we’re in some sort of princely kingdom where everyone just walked out of GQ.’ No. They look like fools. They look like court jesters, most of them.”
Reading American Psycho, and knowing just a little about clothes, you realize the the author either knows very little about clothing, or has deliberately made a mash of it. The brands are all over the place, even for a book written in the 80s, just as an example. It’s like the guys shopped very omnivorously, especially in the days before online shopping. Most guys of that type would have simply gone to a high end store like a Louis Boston or a Saks Fifth Avenue. I understand the author’s intent, but I think that he missed the mark a bit by not really getting on the ground and really doing the work of what clothing would have really looked off together. The quoted part could have read a lot better.

Pandaros

Reaction score

This suddenly makes a lot of sense. Because there's so many aspects of the book that are just wrong: any time the characters talk about contemporary or historical events, the details are all wrong; they get each other's names wrong; they mix up what restaurants or bars or clubs they were at. Nothing actually gets paired correctly in the book.

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
This suddenly makes a lot of sense. Because there's so many aspects of the book that are just wrong: any time the characters talk about contemporary or historical events, the details are all wrong; they get each other's names wrong; they mix up what restaurants or bars or clubs they were at. Nothing actually gets paired correctly in the book.

Yeah, I guess that's also to show how everything in the world he describes is interchangeable, bland and without any real meaning. Everything gets blurred because everything in Bateman's microcosm basically looks/tastes/sounds the same, and no one really cares. All the human interactions are obviously surface level as well.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.4%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.6%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 11.0%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads