• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Keith Taylor

Reaction score
Assuming you're wearing them in a place with real winter, if you can stride out into snow in shoes that open, you're a braver man than most lol. Tbh I think there'd be something cool in that, but I imagine most people will have a reaction closer to morbid curiosity (the thought of some slushy January curb... Jesus)

It's worth thinking about the temperature as well as slush and slick surfaces. I've never worn opera pumps but I imagine the construction is very light, and the low cut front will be an issue if you find yourself stuck unexpectedly in the cold.

A couple of months ago I decided to give a new pair of dainty Belgian loafers a run out to my local bar. It's a two minute walk from my place so I didn't worry that the temperature was hovering around freezing, but when I got there I found it packed to the rafters and had to sit outside in the tented beer garden by a gas heater. By the time I got a table indoors a couple of hours later my feet were two solid blocks of ice, and my toes were rattling around loose in my socks :p

cr2596

Reaction score
I feel like this is as good a place as any to ask :

I don't really have much need for tailored clothing in my current life, but I have been thinking about getting a sport coat for those special evening occasions where it wouldn't be necessary but would be fun - like a NYE part at a friend's place, going out for cocktails on my birthday, anniversary dinner, etc.
Something that doesn't look like officewear.

Anyone have suggestions on cloth, color, pattern, etc?
I’ve only had it for a few months, but I’ve found a green donegal tweed SC to be supremely versatile and relatively unique to those around me.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Dark monochromatic outfits have a cool "evening in the city" vibe. If you're going to an anniversary dinner at an upscale restaurant, NYE party in the city, or some other special, upscale "city" event, you could try the following:

Alan-See-wearing-black.jpeg

Here's Alan in a dark grey DB flannel suit with a black turtleneck. I think most guys choose mid-grey flannel because it's more versatile (easier to wear with black or brown shoes, and a wider range of turtlenecks). But I think this versatility only matters if you think you might wear the flannel suit in a wider range of environments. If you're mostly wearing this as a "going out" suit, you can do a DB suit (cooler than SB because most people don't get many opportunities to wear a DB suit) in a darker grey flannel (just short of true charcoal). Then do a black turtleneck and black tassel loafers.

ethan-black-from-albor.jpeg

Ethan Wong does the same thing here with a charcoal herringbone suit and black long-sleeve polo. Pair with black penny loafers or tassel loafers.

236885097_222041389928932_5986094836773658433_n.jpg

I really like LabelKing's style, although his style is perhaps a bit more striking and works especially well on him. Still, cool all-black outfit -- black suit, black dress shirt, and not pictured are his Cuban heeled black boots.

242617957_849956649218478_4748606845030864505_n.jpg

A much more dressed-down version of this idea: grey sport coat with black jeans, black loafers, and a black turtleneck.

upsett1_spaghett1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Dark monochromatic outfits have a cool "evening in the city" vibe. If you're going to an anniversary dinner at an upscale restaurant, NYE party in the city, or some other special, upscale "city" event, you could try the following:

View attachment 1715515

Here's Alan in a dark grey DB flannel suit with a black turtleneck. I think most guys choose mid-grey flannel because it's more versatile (easier to wear with black or brown shoes, and a wider range of turtlenecks). But I think this versatility only matters if you think you might wear the flannel suit in a wider range of environments. If you're mostly wearing this as a "going out" suit, you can do a DB suit (cooler than SB because most people don't get many opportunities to wear a DB suit) in a darker grey flannel (just short of true charcoal). Then do a black turtleneck and black tassel loafers.

View attachment 1715534

Ethan Wong does the same thing here with a charcoal herringbone suit and black long-sleeve polo. Pair with black penny loafers or tassel loafers.

View attachment 1715533

I really like LabelKing's style, although his style is perhaps a bit more striking and works especially well on him. Still, cool all-black outfit -- black suit, black dress shirt, and not pictured are his Cuban heeled black boots.

View attachment 1715536

A much more dressed-down version of this idea: grey sport coat with black jeans, black loafers, and a black turtleneck.
Being from Portland I love an all black outfit for going out at night in the city

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1715515

View attachment 1715534

View attachment 1715533

View attachment 1715536

I just got a dark gray suit made somewhat in the hopes to do these types of fun, tonal fits.
For the past 5 years my go-to 'evening out' fit is a navy polo (an Eidos Lupo typically) + navy sportcoat. I typically pair it with white denim because I'm me, but it also looks cool with dark denim, or would work well with charcoal trousers.

lefty

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have an old blue velvet Etro coat that I wear to small f fancy parties. It’s a little silly with the flapped patched pockets, but no one seems to care.

It gets worn with shirts or turtlenecks and a variety of fun pants. Looks particular good with black watch.

I’m just happy it still fits 15 years after I purchased it.

8A5435BC-3DC9-4663-950D-B67AB591E97A.jpeg
6CB1B041-FFB3-48E5-AD4F-FF16F0A989B6.jpeg

lefty

emptym

Reaction score
Looking good, Lefty and Gus.
... (Alan Flusser used to recommend a chocolate velvet for maximum day/evening flexibility). Having owned a couple, I found it far more versatile than most might think. Of course you can wear it with grey flannels for a fancy evening but I most often wore it for "fun" to dinner or cocktail parties or even lunch in the city with a white shirt and jeans.
Can you believe this was 13 yrs ago?
DSC06754.jpg

Re it's versatility, here w/ tie:
1000-1.jpeg

...A much more dressed-down version of this idea: grey sport coat with black jeans, black loafers, and a black turtleneck.
George boots, but close.
IMG_7223.jpeg

kjb

Distinguished Member
Supporting Member
Reaction score
i'm going to post this question here because @dieworkwear has put out a few posts on black sweaters both on his blog and PTO.

i recently (as in today) come into possession a very tremendous black sweater. i have basically nothing black (1 pair of black jeans, one pair of black dress shoes) but man do i love this sweater and i'm super excited for it.

1638823766138.png

i'm looking for suggestions on how to style it. my first thought leans toward something like this 3S shot with washed jeans and light brown shoes.

1638823915308.png

as noted above i have no black footwear outside of a pair of balmorals. i'm not actually looking to buy more shoes (a shocker i know) so i'd love some additional ideas here.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I usually pair my black shirts over some olive fatigue pants but think it would also work in a more faded tan color. Grays would also work as well, I am thinking some faded gray jeans. This really opens up footwear as I don't think you need black. I wear mine with shades of brown in both calf and suede. I also pair them with gray shoes but GATs seem like they would fit well here.

Octobab

Reaction score
i'm going to post this question here because @dieworkwear has put out a few posts on black sweaters both on his blog and PTO.

i recently (as in today) come into possession a very tremendous black sweater. i have basically nothing black (1 pair of black jeans, one pair of black dress shoes) but man do i love this sweater and i'm super excited for it.

View attachment 1715866

i'm looking for suggestions on how to style it. my first thought leans toward something like this 3S shot with washed jeans and light brown shoes.

View attachment 1715867

as noted above i have no black footwear outside of a pair of balmorals. i'm not actually looking to buy more shoes (a shocker i know) so i'd love some additional ideas here.

IMO black and any shade of light suede is killer

polyfusion

Reaction score
Are you thinking of this?

Pete also wrote this a while ago

Never seen the first piece before but it’s impeccable. I’ve been looking for an article like this for years. Thanks as always Derek.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

View attachment 1715866

View attachment 1715867

Was that in the 18E archive sale?
In the back of my brain I thought "wasn't there something I liked from 18E in the past year or two?" but was too lazy to scroll too far down the page.

jaaz16

Reaction score
Was that in the 18E archive sale?
In the back of my brain I thought "wasn't there something I liked from 18E in the past year or two?" but was too lazy to scroll too far down the page.

“archive sale” was really just stuff the last 6 months or so by my estimate. I’ve only been into it for a year and there was nothing there I hadn’t already seen. I think someone recently put this up on the b/s/t thread right?

either way, tan picking up on the gold, light wash jeans, or olive could all possibly work. What about those SDC trousers you have kjb, with maybe a darker olive jacket? In an article Derek wrote about black, he talked about how black could be a useful for making other, lighter colors around it really pop. I think you could potentially apply that principle with stuff you already have.

mossrockss

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
“archive sale” was really just stuff the last 6 months or so by my estimate. I’ve only been into it for a year and there was nothing there I hadn’t already seen. I think someone recently put this up on the b/s/t thread right?

either way, tan picking up on the gold, light wash jeans, or olive could all possibly work. What about those SDC trousers you have kjb, with maybe a darker olive jacket? In an article Derek wrote about black, he talked about how black could be a useful for making other, lighter colors around it really pop. I think you could potentially apply that principle with stuff you already have.
Ah, just checked out the thread and see it was.
Glad I didn't miss anything from the archive.
I got my all time favorite sweater, bar none, from drop 1 via the first archive sale. Glad I only missed out on cargo pants, etc.

View attachment 1715866

View attachment 1715867

Anyway, I would wear that black sweater with literally anything I'd wear with a chunky navy sweater, plus the additional option of wearing it with black. I'd probably default to white/off-white denim with it + suede chukkas but I default to white jeans for everything. Those mid-wash jeans in your second pic look sweet.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads