• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Holy hell that's a great bag. Reminds me of the Tango @UrbanComposition mentioned, but with just a bit more width for a solid base. That Seebag he created also looks incredible, hopefully Robert keeps doing more luggage, he seems to be the most studious when it comes to function.
Yeah, Robert thinks mostly of practicality while on the move, since he travels a lot and wears his stuff himself while shooting. He has some videos on his IG how all his bags can either be carried casually with one hand, or worn close to the body for hands-free portability.

Psyko

Reaction score
I don't own it myself, but I might soon buy Glenroyal's tote. Can only buy it from Japan, which complicates things.
Screenshot_20200906-195947_Chrome.jpg

Screenshot_20200906-195832_Chrome.jpg

My daily tote is Permanent Style's collab with Globe-Trotter, which looks good , but just mediocre functionality.
Screenshot_20200906-201041_Chrome.jpg

The Tango bag also looks really dope, and I am really considering that as well. I especially like Spangle's nod to Acronym's 3rd arm-series in terms of the molle webbing.

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
If I got a tote it would be the Tango in black; the molle matches and I think it would work well with all-black outfits while being super practical. It does stand up very well on its own, unlike other totes I've seen.

SimonC

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I suppose it's such a personal thing, but every so often I buy a tote and end up moving it on because they just don't work. More of a shoulder bag person (assuming we're not in a briefcase situation). I have a shepherd's satchel that gets a fair amount of use, need to dig out the name of the lady that made it. Also keeping a watchful eye on Atelier Subdivise...

somatoform

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whoops! Sorry for leaving this hanging. I thought I replied to this, for some reason.

I have their English briefcase, but the one they made under the Lotuff & Clegg label. They still make the bag today, but with a slightly different leather. I've also bought a couple of their leather totes and given them as Christmas gifts, but I don't own one myself.

The Armoury has a few totes from Frank Clegg, a couple of which look like they're exclusive designs.

I don't have any "dressy" totes. The only totes I have are cloth ones -- one from ts(s) made from a reversible chambray, the ubiquitous DRKSHDW one, a couple of big shopping totes from Apolis and Kapital, and a packable "climbing" tote from Monitaly. None of those would be replacements for a Frank Clegg one though. I think of them as much more casual bags.

Yea, the angora blends are pretty soft. A bit different from their cashmere ones. They're thicker than the Wispy and have a slighlty slippery feel. If you're after softness, it's definitely a good value. The cashmere ones have really risen in price in the last five years. It's hard to recommend a $450 scarf, but they are very nice scarves if you can handle them at some point. IMO, the nice thing about the Wispy cashmere scarves is that they're very big, but since the yarn is so fine and the weave open, the scarf can drape with a bunch of fluffy folds without actually being bulky.

By angora I take you guys to mean Jura (most prominently). I had the Jura. It also has doubled in price since I last bought it from Oconnell's clothing. $75 when I bought it, not too long ago. You can still find them there at $90 for the narrower ones (like 13 or 14" wide) For me it was too soft, pilled too easily, and that cashmere look it mimed I didn't really like. I sold it.

I also have 2 narrow version unwashed Kishorn made for Sid Mashburn. They are nice, but too light weight. I don't wear them and never have.

A washed Kishorn (large size) I would like and actually use.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
By angora I take you guys to mean Jura (most prominently). I had the Jura. It also has doubled in price since I last bought it from Oconnell's clothing. $75 when I bought it, not too long ago. You can still find them there at $90 for the narrower ones (like 13 or 14" wide) For me it was too soft, pilled too easily, and that cashmere look it mimed I didn't really like. I sold it.

I also have 2 narrow version unwashed Kishorn made for Sid Mashburn. They are nice, but too light weight. I don't wear them and never have.

A washed Kishorn (large size) I would like and actually use.
Got mine today.

It's definitely buttery soft, but I did notice it already comes pre-pilled. Doesn't seem very durable. May just be due to the hairy nature of it. Doesn't seem like it would tear though, after trying to do that.

For the future I think I'd want something warm, soft, durable, and about twice as big.

Ironically, that's currently my acrylic scarf that probably sheds billions of microplastics when I wash it.

Last edited:

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
The Jura and Langley scarves (lambswool/angora) are incredibly durable. Not really sure where that's coming from. I have a few that are 7 or 8 years old and barely show any wear at all. And I have a scruffy beard.

Is it possible that you guys confuse the brushed finish with "pilling" ? They do brush them pretty hard with teasels to soften and raise the nap.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Jura and Langley scarves (lambswool/angora) are incredibly durable. Not really sure where that's coming from. I have a few that are 7 or 8 years old and barely show any wear at all. And I have a scruffy beard.

Is it possible that you guys confuse the brushed finish with "pilling" ? They do brush them pretty hard with teasels to soften and raise the nap.
That may be it, the nap reminds me of very hairy suede shoes.

The scarf is super itchy on my neck though. I don't know what is it with wool being so scratchy on my skin.

I'm going to wash it with Eucalan, I've had success with softening a wool robe I bought as well.

Edit: Success! No longer itchy.

Last edited:

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I google something after the fact to see if Derek has written an article on it, and he often has.

I've bought and used Eucalan, a lanolin wash, for a couple of wool items now.

It has successfully softened a wool robe, and now the angora/lambswool Jura scarf, both which scratched me endlessly. Neither scratch me now.

Both were marked dry clean only, but neither were worse for the wear, and both came out softer. Colour slightly ran on the scarf, but not enough to matter.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sometimes I google something after the fact to see if Derek has written an article on it, and he often has.

I've bought and used Eucalan, a lanolin wash, for a couple of wool items now.

It has successfully softened a wool robe, and now the angora/lambswool Jura scarf, both which scratched me endlessly. Neither scratch me now.

Both were marked dry clean only, but neither were worse for the wear, and both came out softer. Colour slightly ran on the scarf, but not enough to matter.
This was me, as well! Realizing you can clean knitwear (relatively) easily at home without screwing it up is a real game changer.

Add this to diatomaceous earth and the oxy-clean super wash on the list of A-1 cleaning solutions that Derek has passed along or recommended.

FlyingHorker

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
This was me, as well! Realizing you can clean knitwear (relatively) easily at home without screwing it up is a real game changer.

Add this to diatomaceous earth and the oxy-clean super wash on the list of A-1 cleaning solutions that Derek has passed along or recommended.
How do you use the diato earth and oxy clean?

I use oxy clean as a "pre-wash" dump on my washer and it gets rid of deodorant stains on my shirts. I don't like wearing undershirts, I always like to feel the actual fabric of my shirts.

FLW

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
How do you use the diato earth and oxy clean?

I use oxy clean as a "pre-wash" dump on my washer and it gets rid of deodorant stains on my shirts. I don't like wearing undershirts, I always like to feel the actual fabric of my shirts.

DE is great for getting grease- and oil-based stains out of clothing. You sprinkle some of the powder over the affected area and leave it to sit for a day or so. It basically absorbs the grease. You brush it off and then wash or clean the garment as usual. It is not perfect and will not reverse all staining, but it is better than most other cleaning agents.

The original OC article is by Jesse Thorn, but Derek has mentioned it in the past.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads