• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
“I’m debating whether I should get five-pocket cords in dark brown or tan,” Morello said of a choice that literally doesn’t matter.

for **** sake I was literally having this exact internal conversation last night.
Meh, I guess that this is when we find out if we really dress for ourselves. I think that I can pretty safely say that I've been buying as much clothing as I do in summers (that is to say, not that much, since I'm not a huge summmer clothing person) but I have beenj buying jewelry, pocket knives - which to me are just pocket jewelry, accessories like belts, and... belts, and sneakers, which is what I typically wear anyway.

King Calder

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not sure if this adds much to the very interesting conversation, but my experience here. I'm in my late 20s, went to a top school and have a good job in consulting, and have been working from home. I left the city I lived in when my lease expired around the beginning of the pandemic. I have virtually no desire to return to the city. I don't miss being in the office. What I miss is my hobbies. Outside of fashion, which is an entirely digitally-driven experience for me at this point, I love rock climbing and the climbing gym / outdoors were the main outlet for my social life. One of the things I notice about a lot of my friends who have taken WFH particularly hard is that they don't really have any hobbies! I have had multiple conversations at this point with friends who are feeling disillusioned or depressed with white collar work to pick up literally any hobby to preoccupy themselves. Very tough to see.

You cannot boycott a store when it's the only place where you can get fresh bread.

A local grocer in my town is owned and operated by rabid Trump supporters. They flagrantly make a point of not requiring masks or any other sanitary precautions in their store. I am fortunate enough to not have to shop there because my town isn't that small, but I don't think this would necessarily be a good thing. Whatever your position on civil discourse I don't think local monopolies, or through the frame of consumerism in general, is the best avenue to facilitate it.

Last edited:

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Historically, this has all been a predictable part of human nature. Human beings are not, by and large, individualistic. There are outliers who are, and their achievements or ideas deservedly get more attention - just as do their failures, because greatness of scale tends to align with greatness of personality.

I see this temporary situation as an exposition of what I've always known to be true: that human civility and order is quite transient, and necessitates an active approach to continue for any length of time. When people are taught no appreciation for higher expression or communal ties that bridge actual gaps like poverty, instead of supposed ones like politics, then it is not surprising that they are only too willing to shake off their Brooks Brothers button-down when it proves an impediment to their next happy meal. The avenue of their defective reasoning is immaterial.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One of the things I notice about a lot of my friends who have taken WFH particularly hard is that they don't really have any hobbies! I have had multiple conversations at this point with friends who are feeling disillusioned or depressed with white collar work to pick up literally any hobby to preoccupy themselves. Very tough to see.

I don't have any hobbies because all my money goes to buying clothes inspired by hobbies (e.g., hunting, sport, camping, etc).

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I sincerely hope that we do work more from home. While a minority of people can afford to live in the heart of major metropoli, the majority of people live in community-fess suburbs. I think that more people working from home could, could potentially lead to the growth of smaller towns, where people of all political stripes are forced to interact with one another in a civil manner. You cannot boycott a store when it's the only place where you can get fresh bread. Or I suppose that you could, but you'd have no other choices for fresh bread.

What would that community look like? If you already work from home, don't go to church, and don't engage with any hobby or civic related associations, how would you interact with people from different walks of life in a meaningful way?

For any given area, you usually have multiple stores that supply roughly the same things, should you dislike a business owner. You also don't really interact with fellow patrons in that store. And aside from food, almost anything nowadays can be bought off the internet, a platform which has millions of suppliers.

Suburban life seems even more isolating than city life, as you don't barely even walk around in public spaces.

gardenvariety

Reaction score
i feel attacked.

The Aimé Leon Dore lookbook paragraph sniped me. Which was odd because before this lookbook I thought the brand was trash.

“For guys who grew up in the ’90s, this whole collection feels like home,” says a man who’s unlikely to ever leave his actual home.

This line really highlights the emotional power of clothes though. The world's scary right now and cozy fall nostalgia crossed with childhood (for me anyways) nostalgia is massively appealing.

I haven't liked a lookbook so much since The North Face Purple Label's FW14 one.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
What would that community look like? If you already work from home, don't go to church, and don't engage with any hobby or civic related associations, how would you interact with people from different walks of life in a meaningful way?

For any given area, you usually have multiple stores that supply roughly the same things, should you dislike a business owner. You also don't really interact with fellow patrons in that store. And aside from food, almost anything nowadays can be bought off the internet, a platform which has millions of suppliers.

Suburbs seem even more isolating that city centers.

Not everyone engaged in civic associations in the past, and they still had social circles through family acquaintances, introductions, academic connections, etc. Not everyone is working from home, either. I'll wager most who are strictly isolating at this point are actually middle-class white-collar types anyway, who would be more likely to retreat to their homes in the first place. At least in my neighbourhood, people are out and about everywhere.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Suburban life seems even more isolating than city life, as you don't barely even walk around in public spaces.
I said small town, not suburbs. And I see a lot of the interaction coming by ways of exchange of goods and services - you stil need a place to get your keys made, (eventually) get a meal out, or a coffee, get a haircut, go to the gym, etc... In all those places, you interact with others. Naturally, introverts will interact less, but that's the case in cities anyway.

Just in terms of fuel usage, people living primarily in small towns with services close by and no long commutes is better for the environment in general anyway, both physical and emotional. I think that city life can be pretty grim, much grimmer than small town life, for those with no money.

Sartorium

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Food is really easy to order on the internet in most places

Guccinski L.V.

Reaction score
I have been social distancing all my adult life. It took a global pandemic for the World to fall inline with my preferences. I sleep late and better than before. I have less stress. I can work from remote location of my choosing. I don't have to suffer office fools or useless HR interactions. Less cars, less pollution, less traffic, less humans everywhere.
Can this last forever?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I have been social distancing all my adult life. It took a global pandemic for the World to fall inline with my preferences. I sleep late and better than before. I have less stress. I can work from remote location of my choosing. I don't have to suffer office fools or useless HR interactions. Less cars, less pollution, less traffic, less humans everywhere.
Can this last forever?

sounds like "single monk" is a description of a shoe and your lifestyle

Last edited:

UrbanComposition

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The interesting thing about working in the trades in a big city is you get people from all over. Guys from every race, creed, and color drive to San Francisco from as far away as Manteca, Sacramento, Los Banos, and Santa Rosa. It forces you to be exposed to all sorts of opinions, hear people out, and work together. I’m all for being with like-minded people, and the challenge of dealing with wildly different backgrounds in a very non-PC setting can be tiring, but it has undeniably helped me to be a more understanding and tolerant person. If I worked from home I’d probably be a completely different person.

whorishconsumer

King Douche
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Surely it could be argued that communities have shifted into the digital world, but it's undeniable that they are necessarily not the same, in the way that viewing a digital representation of a flower is not the same as holding it in reality.

imatlas

Saucy White Boy
Reaction score
I've worked from home for years, and have made it a point to get involved in activities that bring me in contact with people. I'm pretty self-sufficient, but it's starting to wear on me that I won't be doing any of those things any time soon. I'm appreciating being in a densely populated place more than I have for a long time, simply because I see and interact with people more than I would if I lived in a sub- or exurb.

Nobilis Animus

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I've worked from home for years, and have made it a point to get involved in activities that bring me in contact with people. I'm pretty self-sufficient, but it's starting to wear on me that I won't be doing any of those things any time soon. I'm appreciating being in a densely populated place more than I have for a long time, simply because I see and interact with people more than I would if I lived in a sub- or exurb.

I have to say that I agree. It's a real drag, but self-sufficiency eventually wins the day.

If anything, this may get us all to appreciate more the limited human interaction we do experience in this all too often ephemeral existence of ours.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads