• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Guh- you guys. Thin does not equal stick-skinny-on-deathbed-SLP-model. It means low body fat. Even the 'stocky' guy Derek posted was thin. And Brando was sexy- sexy people can do whatever the **** they want.

We need to come to terms with each other. We're not communicating.

Anyway- fine, whatever. You all win. Regular shmucks can wear DRs- that's why so many of us feel so self-conscious in them. Because of how accessible they are.

I feel like maybe we are not comparing apples to apples here. Brad Pitt would likely look better than me in a custom made suit that was made for me, even if it fit him rather poorly. He is just a cooler looking dude.

However, a regular dude can look as good in a double rider as he can in, say, tailored clothing, imo. I think that part of the reason is that mid to heavyweigjht leather can give some structure (but not too much) to a build that might otherwise be a bit lacking, same as a sportsjacket, and that leather, unlike a tailored jacket, you can start out with an "okay" fit, and after a few months of regular wear, that jacket will conform to your body in a way that wool never will. To get very Donna Karan in the 90s on you, I think that a modern version of a classic leather jacket is a pretty good piece to have in a capsule wardrobe. At least in North America, a leather jacket in 2020 works the same way a sports jacket might have worked 60 years ago.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I find there are a lot of things that look good on extremely charismatic and ridiculously good looking people which look pretty ridiculous on more ordinary people
I agree with you, but I don't think that leather jackets are one of those things.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Also, a 50-year-old Cappadonna wearing a DR at an NPR Tiny Desk concert

The most amazing thing about this is that the Clan did an NPR Tiny Dest concert. I ahd no idea, and am forwarding this to anyone who might remotely care.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I get the leather jacket logic but I feel like the DR is a pretty aggressive variation of the leather jacket thing. There are other styles which aren’t as eye catching or “directional”

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
I feel like maybe we are not comparing apples to apples here. Brad Pitt would likely look better than me in a custom made suit that was made for me, even if it fit him rather poorly. He is just a cooler looking dude.

However, a regular dude can look as good in a double rider as he can in, say, tailored clothing, imo. I think that part of the reason is that mid to heavyweigjht leather can give some structure (but not too much) to a build that might otherwise be a bit lacking, same as a sportsjacket, and that leather, unlike a tailored jacket, you can start out with an "okay" fit, and after a few months of regular wear, that jacket will conform to your body in a way that wool never will. To get very Donna Karan in the 90s on you, I think that a modern version of a classic leather jacket is a pretty good piece to have in a capsule wardrobe. At least in North America, a leather jacket in 2020 works the same way a sports jacket might have worked 60 years ago.

this was a very good explanation- thanks for sharing

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I get the leather jacket logic but I feel like the DR is a pretty aggressive variation of the leather jacket thing. There are other styles which aren’t as eye catching or “directional”
These things are highly context dependent. I would never worn a double rider in the 80s. I grew up in a town close to the US/Canadian border where a lot of drugs came through, and there was a sizable MC presence. Back then, all double riders sported MC patches, and was, at least where I grew up, were associated with the MCs. We wore cafe racers and varsities instead. And even those had a slightly outlaw feel to them.

Fast forward 25-30 years, though, and the double rider with tights and scarf and boots or sneakers has become the ubiquitous outfit of college girls across all of America.

I suppose that maybe it's not aceptable every place in the world, like tats - but in the US and western Europe, it's not even really a stand out garment in and of itself.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Voting on changing @LA Guy 's title from Opposite Santa to Leather Jacket Police

like this post for yay

post a picture of a pickle for nay

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CBrown85 I've seen quite a few pictures of you, and there is literally nothing wrong about the way you look. I have a VERY similar build to yours. Maybe I'm a bit taller, but we have similar proportions.

The self consciousness you are exhibiting about double riders is just part of the human experience. I have this same self consciousness when I shave, or when I try to wear a tucked in shirt without a jacket or sweater over it.

I just don't like the image I'm seeing. It's not the ME I'm used to see, or the ME I want to see. It doesn't have to actually look bad for me to not like it. I just don't. A different guy with the same proportions could wear one and look damn good. It's a matter of what clothes we find comforting, and what looks we lean in.

Some years ago, I was heavily into skinny jeans. They highlighted my legs, which are easily my best feature, and I loved them for it. My tastes have changed and I see myself wearing wider trousers nearly every day, but back them I though they were for people with a different body type than me. Turns out they were for people with a different mindset.

Last edited:

CBrown85

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@CBrown85 I've seen quite a few pictures of you, and there is literally nothing wrong about the way you look. I have a VERY similar build to yours. Maybe I'm a bit taller, but we have similar proportions.

The self consciousness you are exhibiting about double riders is just part of the human experience. I have this same self consciousness when I shave, or when I try to wear a tucked in shirt without a jacket or sweater over it.

I just don't like the image I'm seeing. It's not the ME I'm used to see, or the ME I want to see. It doesn't have to actually look bad for me to not like it. I just don't. A different guy with the same proportions could wear one and look damn good. It's a matter of what clothes we find comforting, and what looks we lean in.

Some years ago, I was heavily into skinny jeans. They highlighted my legs, which are easily my best feature, and I loved them for it. My tastes have changed and I see myself wearing wider trousers nearly every day, but back them I though they were for people with a different body type than me. Turns out they were for people with a different mindset.

I can't remember if I've even posted a fit-pic. I'm 4'6" and with a hunchback and a peg leg.

XWT

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I can't remember if I've even posted a fit-pic. I'm 4'6" and with a hunchback and a peg leg.

Lol. I though you were Chris Browning, a guy I met on the Street X Sprezza facebook group.

Never mind.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
when the homie says he's too ugly to wear double riders and you're about to hit him with the love and affection

Screen Shot 2020-02-10 at 4.34.04 PM.png

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 103 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 102 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.8%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.4%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.6%

Forum statistics

Threads