• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

sargeinaz

Reaction score
@dieworkwear I enjoyed your latest article and I understand why you focused on Ben and Dick since they both seem to like an Ivy type style. However, with that subject and title, I can’t help but to think Jake Grantham would’ve been the perfect person to focus on. I feel like he really does tailoring very well and effortlessly dresses it down with jeans etc which is where many younger guys are most comfortable. Have you ever thought of doing an article on him?

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@dieworkwear I enjoyed your latest article and I understand why you focused on Ben and Dick since they both seem to like an Ivy type style. However, with that subject and title, I can’t help but to think Jake Grantham would’ve been the perfect person to focus on. I feel like he really does tailoring very well and effortlessly dresses it down with jeans etc which is where many younger guys are most comfortable. Have you ever thought of doing an article on him?

Thanks!

I wrote about Anglo Italian when they first opened the store, but you're right that Jake would make for a great feature. I'll reach out to him.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The reddit mfa comments make great reading

When I posted that, I thought all the hate was going to come from traditionalists who'd complain about Ben's slightly shorter pants and hip casualwear looks. I didn't think people would find the looks too stuffy!

I don't know Ben that well but I interact with Dick on a somewhat regular basis since he illustrates for Put This On. Maybe I'm biased, but I think he comes off stylish partly because he's a really nice guy, down to earth, and dresses in a very trad/ Ivy way without looking like a jerk about it. I think that's sometimes hard to do because trad and Ivy comes with some much baggage. But Dick has a very disarming and charming look, and he seems like the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with (for lack of a better phrase). He comes off more as a romanticist about those mid-century clothes, rather than an uptight guy who's complaining about modernity.

I included Ben cause I like that Jam Band Scum Prep thing Dick described. I also think he wears Ivy in a hipper way, but without being too fashion forward about it.

I also like both of those guys' style because their clothes don't fit perfectly. It's not that razor sharp, pitch perfect, robo-pose stuff. I like some of that stuff too, but sometimes those things feel so cleanly pressed ... there's something GQ-y about it. It doesn't feel natural.

jdp234

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
When I posted that, I thought all the hate was going to come from traditionalists who'd complain about Ben's slightly shorter pants and hip casualwear looks. I didn't think people would find the looks too stuffy!

I don't know Ben that well but I interact with Dick on a somewhat regular basis since he illustrates for Put This On. Maybe I'm biased, but I think he comes off stylish partly because he's a really nice guy, down to earth, and dresses in a very trad/ Ivy way without looking like a jerk about it. I think that's sometimes hard to do because trad and Ivy comes with some much baggage. But Dick has a very disarming and charming look, and he seems like the kind of guy you'd want to have a beer with (for lack of a better phrase). He comes off more as a romanticist about those mid-century clothes, rather than an uptight guy who's complaining about modernity.

I included Ben cause I like that Jam Band Scum Prep thing Dick described. I also think he wears Ivy in a hipper way, but without being too fashion forward about it.

I also like both of those guys' style because their clothes don't fit perfectly. It's not that razor sharp, pitch perfect, robo-pose stuff. I like some of that stuff too, but sometimes those things feel so cleanly pressed ... there's something GQ-y about it. It doesn't feel natural.

Should’ve thought to worry about how their pants were too high and not slim I guess. But your encomium to the college repubs is appreciated.

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@dieworkwear If you're taking requests - any chance of a feature on Michael Drake? He popped up in one of the Permanent Style books and it's rare to see a consistently well-dressed man of such generous proportions.

Michael-Drake.jpg

661180d0407ac39832c16197a010a819.jpg

tumblr_lt0fz9asMQ1qfex1b.jpg

Skanstull

Reaction score

That is very interesting.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Always enjoy the pieces on modern prep and especially 'real' people. Is there a current mod equivalent out there?

BTW - I'm sure you'll balk at the suggestion, but if you'd put a voluntary contribution option on DW I would make an annual donation.

Last edited:

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is there a current mod equivalent out there?

I don't know much about modern mods, but Jason Jules sometimes dresses mod-ish. I'm sure you saw, but he recently did that documentary on John Simons.

https://vimeo.com/ondemand/johnsimonsamodernist/248251120

BTW - I'm sure you'll balk at the suggestion, but if you'd put a voluntary contribution option on DW I would make an annual donation.

That's super kind, but totally not necessary. I appreciate the comment though!

Clouseau

Inspector
Reaction score
Always enjoy the pieces on modern prep and especially 'real' people. Is there a current mod equivalent out there?

Paul Smith
sir-paul-smith-interview-on-yorkshire-magazine.png

pweller.jpg

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I like his articles, but he's a dick. Multiple members agree.

His **** joke story was just bizarre.

I've never met the man but besides the quality of DWW's writing he's always struck me as a fundamentally decent sort. Haven't seen the story you're referring to. I did see Derek trying to explain Internet meme culture on the Lobb thread without much success so perhaps you're taking something out of context?

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads