• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

JJ Katz

Reaction score
...there's also this obsessiveness that I think sometimes squeezes all the joy out of fashion.
...I think the online media space for this stuff is so ... anxious.

For a while I subscribed to Esquire's past-issues website and spent loads of time looking a the 1930s fashion plates and advertisements. While the style of the period seems fantastic to me, one thing that came across so many ads was the degree to which they emphasized avoiding being in an awkward situation or being objectionable on the basis of clothing. Just a ton of angst about 'correctness'.

That reflects the clearer and more openly accepted hierarchies of that time but from the standpoint of someone who enjoys clothes it does seem utterly joyless.

Many guys just want to be clothed without drawing the least attention (positive or negative) to themselves and I think that's been the case for a long time. I suppose for that segment, ‘negative’ advice is of some use. But I would think that for those of us who enjoy apparel a more ‘positive’ approach is certainly more rewarding.

SpooPoker

Internet Bigtimer and Most Popular Man on Campus
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
but man ... there are so many good stories out there. I think it would just make for really amusing toilet reading.

Have I ever told you the story of the time Mike Tyson punched me in the face?
Or the time I saw Elton Johns balls?

Both true stories.

Thanks SF (a new me)

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
DWW is the $#|+. Always insightful and not pretentious

I tought the article on Shetland sweater buy (iirc 15+) was epic, given the title of ‘Taking a lot of Shet’

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
More please. Especially the Tyson story.

What do you have against Elton John's balls?

it was not that long after the Holyfield ear incident. At Versace where I worked at the time, we had a gaggle of celebrities all day, but nobody commanded a crowd like Mike. So we had to cordon off the tourists and fans and Mike was only allowed to shop with a manager while everyone else was on the other side of our security and watch so he wouldnt be bothered.

I was the manager that day and Mike shows up and about 50 screaming people form the crowd, so we cordon off the area for us and he starts to look around. He likes a necklace (a leather chain with a medusa pendant) thats in the case and asks me to take it out so he could try it on. I take it out - and start to put it on him, but remember the guy has like a 22" neck. So Im behind him trying to fasten the damn clasp but its tight. Like, really tight. So tight in fact, that the pendant was standing completely horizontally on his neck, right on his Adams apple. So he walks over to the mirror and looks at it for a few seconds and cant really figure out if he likes it. So he turns to me and says "Hey yo my brutha....be honest with me. Do I look like a ****** in this?"

*audience of Japanese tourists falls to a hush*

Now what do you say? To Iron Mike? Yes Mike, you look like a ****** (his words, not mine). Or no Mike, you look great! Not an easy decision.

So I used the best diplomatic solution I could and said "Champ, maybe we should look at something else?"

Mike takes a second and glances back to the mirror and says "Hey yo my brotha - I appreciate you being honest with me!" And with that, goes to give me the ol' buddy ol' pal punch on the shoulder. Now, I dont know if it was the material of the suit that I was wearing, or if by that point his eggs were so scrambled that his aim was off, but he grazed my shoulder and caught me with a full on hook on the chin. All I can really remember about the next few seconds is that I glanced over to the crowd and saw at least 10 people with their hands over their mouths and a few camera flashes go off. It hurt but not that bad to be honest. But my jaw was definitely aching for the rest of the day.

And thats how Mike Tyson punched me in the face.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

it was not that long after the Holyfield ear incident. At Versace where I worked at the time, we had a gaggle of celebrities all day, but nobody commanded a crowd like Mike. So we had to cordon off the tourists and fans and Mike was only allowed to shop with a manager while everyone else was on the other side of our security and watch so he wouldnt be bothered.

I was the manager that day and Mike shows up and about 50 screaming people form the crowd, so we cordon off the area for us and he starts to look around. He likes a necklace (a leather chain with a medusa pendant) thats in the case and asks me to take it out so he could try it on. I take it out - and start to put it on him, but remember the guy has like a 22" neck. So Im behind him trying to fasten the damn clasp but its tight. Like, really tight. So tight in fact, that the pendant was standing completely horizontally on his neck, right on his Adams apple. So he walks over to the mirror and looks at it for a few seconds and cant really figure out if he likes it. So he turns to me and says "Hey yo my brutha....be honest with me. Do I look like a ****** in this?"

Now what do you say? To Iron Mike? Yes Mike, you look like a ****** (his words, not mine). Or no Mike, you look great! Not an easy decision.

So I used the best diplomatic solution I could and said "Champ, maybe we should look at something else?"

Mike takes a second and glances back to the mirror and says "Hey yo my brotha - I appreciate you being honest with me!" And with that, goes to give me the ol' buddy ol' pal punch on the shoulder. Now, I dont know if it was the material of the suit that I was wearing, or if by that point his eggs were so scrambled that his aim was off, but he grazed my shoulder and caught me with a full on hook on the chin. All I can really remember about the next few seconds is that I glanced over to the crowd and saw at least 10 people with their hands over their mouths and a few camera flashes go off. It hurt but not that bad to be honest. But my jaw was definitely aching for the rest of the day.

Damn, that's a great story.

You could have been set for life if you fell to the floor and then sued. I would have jumped back like two seconds later and wriggled on the ground.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Damn, that's a great story.

You could have been set for life if you fell to the floor and then sued. I would have jumped back like two seconds later and wriggled on the ground.

Nah, he was already in bankruptcy at that point. And I prefer to have this story than a years long false injury claim!

Gus

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Hats off to @dieworkwear for his outstanding research and writing about all things menswear. I particularly appreciate the variety and range of topics from tailored to workwear and his perspective on quality and value. In addition, Derek's regular contributions to this forum have been entertaining (the guy has a great sense of humor) as well as highly informative.

Thanks @SpooPoker for starting this thread.

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score

Maybe he was more ambivalent about your honesty then he let on.

SpooPoker

Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Elton John actually asked Spoo for his opinion on his Versace underwear, then whipped him in the face with his balls.

I dont want to usurp your thread.

But lets just say I had second row seats at the Garden that night.

Ill email it to you one day!

Blake Stitched Blues

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
My sides

dww.png

Last edited by a moderator:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Staff online

Forum statistics