• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Dieworkwear Appreciation Thread

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@DFWWingnut
Maybe I've seen you in the drive-thru at Braums! Get a W burger because they are close to or in the airports.
Only burger I eat when I visit Dallas is at The Armoury D.E. in Deep Ellum
Well, sometimes at The Angry Dog in DE too. Snuffers used to be great but now it's crap. Go there when I feel nostalgic but chicken sandwich>burger.
Now back to appreciating Derek

Is Keller's still there? I used to go there mostly for the vibes, but the burgers and onion rings were also pretty good. Plus, beer served to you in your car!

espen

Reaction score
Update: Another sawtooth shirt.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Is Keller's still there? I used to go there mostly for the vibes, but the burgers and onion rings were also pretty good. Plus, beer served to you in your car!
Not sure. Haven't been in that area for a long time. Jakes is a clone of Kellers and has a few locations

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
My understanding is that Jake's/Keller's are owned by siblings or family members and it's how the split the business. Jake's may even be a little better, but Keller's is really out of another era. Also the informal car show that happens on the weekends is pretty great.

Despos

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Keller's is definitely old school. When did you live in Dallas?

Baron

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I lived there from 1993-1996 and from 1998- 2001. But I had business there from 1993 until just a couple years ago and was there a lot - about once a month when I didn't live there.

DFWWingnut

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Still in D. Never been...people talk about it though.

jtorres94

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Great write up, Derek.

This morning I was getting dressed for an interview and really considered what I should wear to come off as respectable. My genes keep me looking young so I find I try to add positives by hiding myself behind slightly rounded glasses and a navy suit. This way I can at least look like a smart toddler.

Eventually I decided to go to the interview in my usual ensemble and left it wondering if my outfit did any good or just caused harm. I’ve assisted in interviews in the past and I know how much of a negative it was when interviewees showed up in jeans because we had the preconceived notion that it meant a lack of professionalism or whatever. But then what about a suit? Office dress codes have changed to where jackets are rarely needed so I imagine a suit can give the impression of a try hard fancy-pants.

Then there’s how others view what many of us imagine as typical menswear. This past weekend my wife and I went to meet up with her friends for lunch. I was wearing a polo coat over a jacket and tie and the wife was wearing a skirt and sweater she likely picked up from Jcrew. We step out the car to greet my wife’s friends and one mentions how we both look so retro. My best guess is my coat had such a strong effect that it aged my wife’s outfit too. I wonder if we would’ve received the same response if I lost the polo coat and just wore a sports coat. Really how much combination of menswear is old man-ish?

Anyways, all this to say if I don’t get the job I’ll blame it on the suit and not my lack of preparation.

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
There’s how things should be and how things are

it is a fact that people judge one another by appearance

it is an automatic tendency

for many interactions, it is simply not worth the effort to make a deep dive to see if the book does not really match its cover

there are many social rules and dress is clearly one of them

it comes down to understanding your environment and the people with whom you interact and sending the appropriate signal (e.g., I am part of the team, I am your leader, etc)

Waldo Jeffers

Reaction score
Did not mean my post above to come off as harsh

I thought it was a very interesting essay- just wanted to offer an alternative perspective

the people cited in the essay generally chose iconoclastic lives

that is not an easy path and most will try to blend in

for those who choose a more standard life it is important to develop an understanding of unwritten social rules

on a personal level, I think about this frequently as I have two autistic sons who do not grasp these concepts easily

no one ever really explains many social conventions yet most have an expectations that you will follow them

dieworkwear

Mahatma Jawndi
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Did not mean my post above to come off as harsh

I thought it was a very interesting essay- just wanted to offer an alternative perspective

the people cited in the essay generally chose iconoclastic lives

that is not an easy path and most will try to blend in

for those who choose a more standard life it is important to develop an understanding of unwritten social rules

on a personal level, I think about this frequently as I have two autistic sons who do not grasp these concepts easily

no one ever really explains many social conventions yet most have an expectations that you will follow them

I think there are two sides of this debate.

One is the wearer. If wearing something makes you feel more comfortable, confident, and/ or powerful, then by all means. Do whatever makes you feel good. Clothing should make you feel more empowered and comfortable, whatever that may mean for you.

The other is the viewer. If you see someone wearing baggy or skinny pants, pants not on their hips, something odd or unusual, or whatever else, I think it's also fine to say you don't care for that aesthetic (I do it all the time). But it's another thing to read things such as character, virtue, or respectability into their clothing. It may be that their clothes simply conform to a non-hegemonic culture. Or they just don't care about dress, but are perfectly respectable in more important ways.

In some situations, it may be that a person's clothing choices should not be deemed respectable. If you wear a t-shirt that says "******** the groom" to a wedding, maybe you shouldn't given respect. But in less extreme cases, and in more normal day-to-day lives, the ways in which people read respectability are often dangerous and get into who's deserving in society (deserving of safety, respect, and a certain quality of life).

Ben Golacre, who lectures on causality, has a good lecture series called Bad Science. Broadly speaking, he talks about "how do you know the things you know." I mostly like it because I like reading about research methods. Most research is very bad, so it helps to be able to understand when something is reliable.

He had a post somewhere (I'm too lazy to find it) about a study showing the effects of respectable clothing (that is, suits) on perceived job performance. This was a really good study. Generally speaking, when musicians trained in classical music wore tailored clothing, the crowd perceived their music to be of a "higher quality" or "more skilled." If they wore jeans, the crowd perceived the music to be more amateur, even if it was the same musicians performing the same composition.

So, use that to your advantage if you wish. But on the viewer's side, maybe just be aware of these irrational biases. The prescription for those two sides are very different -- you can prescribe the performer to conform, but also encourage the viewer to be more rational

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Staff online

Forum statistics