• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • Last Day to save 20% sitewide at Kirby Allison's annual Father's Day Sale! !

Kirby Allison is one of Styleforum's original success stories, beginning long ago with Kirby;s Hanger Project. Every year, Kirby holds a Father's Day Sale featuring some of the best accessories and shoe care products in the world. Take this opportunity to get something for your father, grandfather, or yourself, at a rare 20% discount (discount taken automatically at the checkout). See if you find that perfect hanger, shoe cream, or watch case here

Enjoy

• STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

hc4thehc

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Meh - not a fan... Strong taste of red wine (BA), but that's about all...

http://www.ratebeer.com/beer/nogne-o-saison-reserve/322280/

alexg

Reaction score

This was absolutely ******* great. It's a Lambic with cherry blossoms. So fresh tasting, with really cool vegetal notes from the cherry blossoms. It was better than the Cantillon Kriek and draft Cantillon Gueuze I had today.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

This was absolutely ******* great. It's a Lambic with cherry blossoms. So fresh tasting, with really cool vegetal notes from the cherry blossoms. It was better than the Cantillon Kriek and draft Cantillon Gueuze I had today.

Aww, I was very close to include it in my last order. Good to know though!

Last edited:

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I feel like IPAs are reaching market saturation point. Had Zombie Dust, Dreadnaught, Grapefruit Sculpin, Pallet Jack (Barley Brown), Nelson, Duet, Goon Brigade (Bagby), Todd the Axe Man (Surly), and Hopslam today and I feel like the local breweries (Barley Brown, Boneyard, and Block 15) aren't better or worse but just aiming for different flavor profiles. After traveling the whole country I feel like there are excellent options no matter where you live. Sculpin and Lagunitas is practically everywhere now and I think they're both as good as pretty much anything I've tried if a little different in flavors.

Or maybe I'm just a little buzzed after a lot of beers. But honestly I'm wondering how many of these new homebrewer tuned brewers will go bankrupt when the bubble bursts

Last edited:

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score
if only i didn't have gout....... i'd probably be a functional alcoholic..... :foo: :embar::embar::embar:

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@b1os that sounds amazing. Maybe @hc4thehc can find me a bottle? :)

@indesertum I'm pretty curious about the bubble burst too. From reading BA and Instagram, I've noticed a lot hype around new IPA's from new breweries. People sort of have a gotta catch em all mentality versus liking what's actually good. For instance, lately near me there's been a lot of hype around Wormtown's Be Hoppy, Foley Fair Maiden, and Grey Sail's Captains daughter. Hype meaning like pretty much selling out, lots of "where can I find it" questions on the message boards, etc. While all these beers are good, they are nothing great. I think people are ready to hop on the hype train just for the sake of it. What happens when all these beers lose their hype and they end up being another IPA wasting away on the shelves? The liquor stores are already over saturated.

Oh I lied and drank a beer this week. Atleast I took a couple days off... that counts for something right?

When this was cold it had a weird vegetal kind of funk. As it warmed up that faded and it was pretty good. Was pretty much just like Funky Gold Mosaic.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
:cheers: Let's start a Prairie theme!

Also very funky. Very tart. And some weird flavor that coats the tongue and stays for a long while.. almost chemical-ish. I think it's the uber-funkiness. Or acetone?

They also have an ume lambic and a yuzu lambic, @Ken P.

Last edited:

budapest12

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Maybe reaching beer-noob burnout and in agreement with a lot of the above comments. Have tried a lot of things, maybe nothing too exotic or hard to get, but realizing that many of the more hyped up products, while very good, are (1) not drinkable on a regular basis, (2) are way too expensive for what they are, and/or (3) just aren't worth going too far out of the way for.

That said, I doubt that will stop me from enthusiastically trying new stuff. So perhaps this is all just some grouchiness without much more.

Few quick thoughts on recent things:

(1) Mikkeller "Wheat is the New Hops" IPA with Brett. I liked this initially but it kind of lost something halfway through drinking. Flavors seemed to go flat. Tasted "expensive" with a good mouthfeel, nice flavors from the wheat, noticeable brett but not too much. Yeah, I liked this and it was my first Mikkeller, but I started to feel like I was drinking an experiment after a while.

(2) Went out for mussels the other night and had 3 bottles of Duvel because it was that or Stella. Duvel - can find it anywhere and it's a great beer.

(3) Retried the Grapefruit Sculpin and was much more impressed this time around. Not sure what changed. Definitely going to seek out more - good summer IPA.

(4) Also retried Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA. Meh. This used to be my definition of good beer but it burns my palette out halfway through. Too much sugar/maltiness.

Was able to snag a few 120 minute IPAs. Maybe I'll be disappointed but will give one a try soon.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Beergium has it for 13 € or 20 € for 75 cl (same for the Ume/Yuzu lambic).

Last edited:

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Maybe reaching beer-noob burnout and in agreement with a lot of the above comments.  Have tried a lot of things, maybe nothing too exotic or hard to get, but realizing that many of the more hyped up products, while very good, are (1) not drinkable on a regular basis, (2) are way too expensive for what they are, and/or (3) just aren't worth going too far out of the way for.

That said, I doubt that will stop me from enthusiastically trying new stuff.  So perhaps this is all just some grouchiness without much more.

Few quick thoughts on recent things:

(1) Mikkeller "Wheat is the New Hops" IPA with Brett.  I liked this initially but it kind of lost something halfway through drinking.  Flavors seemed to go flat.  Tasted "expensive" with a good mouthfeel, nice flavors from the wheat, noticeable brett but not too much.  Yeah, I liked this and it was my first Mikkeller, but I started to feel like I was drinking an experiment after a while.

(2) Went out for mussels the other night and had 3 bottles of Duvel because it was that or Stella.  Duvel - can find it anywhere and it's a great beer.

(3) Retried the Grapefruit Sculpin and was much more impressed this time around.  Not sure what changed.  Definitely going to seek out more - good summer IPA.

(4) Also retried Dogfish Head 90 minute IPA.  Meh.  This used to be my definition of good beer but it burns my palette out halfway through.  Too much sugar/maltiness.  

Was able to snag a few 120 minute IPAs.  Maybe I'll be disappointed but will give one a try soon.

I totally agree on the Duvel -- sometimes it's exactly what you want. Same on the 90 Minute -- sometimes it's just too much.

As for the 120, I'd recommend sitting on those for a while. I got a couple over the winter and opened one up right away. It wasn't enjoyable. I don't remember my exact thoughts, but I posted something about it here.

Featured Sponsor

Do You Have a Signature Fragrance?

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance I wear every day

• Yes, I have a signature fragrance but I don't wear it daily

• No, I have several fragrances and rotate through them

• I don't wear fragrance

Results are only viewable after voting.

Staff online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member