• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The Official Beer Thread

Cotton Dockers

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
From this weekend, nothing too crazy:

If anyone is ever in LA, I highly recommend both the Strand and El Segundo breweries.

Agree with @Ken P , probably should not have been included in the survey, but it is damn good.

Pretty good, blood orange doesn't hit at first.

For the premier. Yes, I realize it's cheesy, but still...

indesertum

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

came highly recommended. was pretty decent. i really miss when it used to much more juicy. more dank than i remember it when a nice/odd herbal dank savoriness to it. bitter bite is strong

brp2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Nice stuff, everyone. Decided to go with the 3x and 4x tonight.

First, continuing with the Logsdon theme, their Straffe Drieling. It's kind of weird -- 8, 10 years ago I was super into tripels but, since then, have definitely lost my taste for them. This one, however, hit all the right marks and was really enjoyable.

And now for the second beer of the night. I bought this one last summer when I was in Virginia. I'd never heard of Lickhole Creek Brewery (yes, not a typo), but the guy at the shop near where I was staying recommended it. I figured that I'd let it sit long enough and that a rum barreled quad would work well with tonight. Unfortunately I didn't get any rum from this (maybe it was lost in the sugar?). It was sweet and boozy and not altogether bad (if you're into quadrupels; generally I'm decidedly not) but it really wasn't all that interesting. A lot of nice packaging gone to waste, really, and pretty disappointing as I'd hoped that I was opening something awesome for our guest, but it was overall pedestrian.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

From this weekend, nothing too crazy: If anyone is ever in LA, I highly recommend both the Strand and El Segundo breweries. Agree with @Ken P , probably should not have been included in the survey, but it is damn good. Pretty good, blood orange doesn't hit at first. For the premier. Yes, I realize it's cheesy, but still...
My crashpad is like a 15 minute walk from El Segundo Brewing. Will definitely check it out.

nahneun

Uncle Nephew
Reaction score

came highly recommended. was pretty decent. i really miss when it used to much more juicy. more dank than i remember it when a nice/odd herbal dank savoriness to it. bitter bite is strong

i had this yesterday and felt the exact same way. pretty juicy still though

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

Portland Maine. Haha, second time this has happened in this thread. I should be more specific.
sorry I missed you at Allagash! I even broke out the EG Hawaiian as a beacon but turnover looked pretty quick. I had to resist picking up a bottle of the Nettles because the description was vague and im unfamilliar with the beer but I grabbed a few resurgams. hope you made it to Novare Res and wherever else! excited to see your pickups.
From this weekend, nothing too crazy: For the premier. Yes, I realize it's cheesy, but still...
as cheesy as it may be, I really appreciate when these licensed collabs actually work out to a good product. Embarrassingly, I was turned onto Ommegang from the dubbel they made last season for the show. Since then I've grabbed a few things (Three Philosophers was the obvious stand out) and really began to appreciate their beers. A local spot had Raven on tap and I've had a few of them since, It's a great take on a Saison (which everyone seems to be making, but by nature of the "farmhouse" every one is kind of different) I could drink Rising Tide Printemps every day and this every Night and probably be okay.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

sorry I missed you at Allagash! I even broke out the EG Hawaiian as a beacon but turnover looked pretty quick. I had to resist picking up a bottle of the Nettles because the description was vague and im unfamilliar with the beer but I grabbed a few resurgams. hope you made it to Novare Res and wherever else! excited to see your pickups.

Yeah I ended up getting a late start... a few beers at Novarre the night before will do that to you. I did see you at Portland Dry good later in the day though! I was the guy in the tan field jacket and the Nepenthes Ebbets hat.

Portland Dry Goods

Reaction score

Yeah I ended up getting a late start... a few beers at Novarre the night before will do that to you. I did see you at Portland Dry good later in the day though! I was the guy in the tan field jacket and the Nepenthes Ebbets hat.

that makes sense! thanks for stopping by.

Ken P

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Okay so here's a big dump of pictures.

Had this guy on Thursday. Was pretty good, not too heavy of the Chili Pepper which was fine with me. Bomb! still takes the cake for spicy stouts though.

Now on to my Portland trip. Got there Friday night and went to Novarre Res. I had Oxbow Farmhouse Pale (perfect beer IMO) and Rising Tide MITA which was pretty tasty. I didn't take any pictures because it was dark. Got up early-ish Saturday and went to Allagash for the Coolship Resurgam release. Quick line, free coffee and donuts... by far the smoothest beer release experience I've ever seen. Ended up taking the brewery tour which I highly recommend. They give you samples in the barrel room which is pretty cool. The smell in there is downright amazing. Really crazy to think how much good beer is in here just waiting to hit its peak. (Also they seem to give you more generous pours in the barrel room than in the tasting room)

We then walked over to Foundation (pretty much across the street). The free donut and generous pours at Allagash had me pretty full so I only tasted one beer. Blaze is a farmhouse IPA, was very similar to the Oxbow FP but with a danker hop character. Bonus peace sign courtesy of my girlfriend.

After that We went to Bissell to get some cans to go and went to Bier Cellar which was an awesome shop that I highly recommend. We grabbed lunch and went to Oxbow. All of their beers were really good. My buddy works there so he gave me the behind the scenes tour. They have brewing equipment but they haven't actually brewed at the Portland location yet. It's currently being used as a (very cool) tap room and storage for their barrels. They also had pallets on pallets of beer that was being bottle conditioned.

We then took some time off to digest and let our buzz wear off. Walked around the city (visited Portland Dry Goods). We went out for Ramen at Pai Men Miyake for dinner. What amazed me about Portland is that all of these restaurants have crazy tap lists. Reminded me of Vermont in that way. Pai Men had OEC on tap as well as BFM, Oxbow, Bissell and others. I ended up getting a Substance as Bissell had sold out of cans of it when I had went. Very solid beer.

We then went to my buddy's place and drank a few beers.

I can see why this is one of hc4thehc's favorites. Really really good.

And I brought up some Trillium for my friend to try. This one is still one of my favorites.

Sunday I took a bus ride home with a backpack full of beers. Here's everything I got up there. The Deal with the Devil was a huge surprise. Found it at a Deli when we were getting breakfast sandwiches Sunday morning. A lot cheaper than what it was going for down here in Mass to boot!

I had to open up a Resurgam to see what they taste like fresh. A few are going in to the cellar and the others are for trading. Really tasty beer, a bit less funky than a traditional Gueuze but that could because I am drinking fresh. Taste was pear, green apple, funk and pepper. Very sharp dry finish.

Then I opened a Lux for the GoT premiere. I don't usually like Rye beers but they dosed this with enough hops to make me like it. Has a melon-like aroma and taste to it.

That's it. I will probably take the week off from drinking and try to eat healthy this week. Went on quite a binge, haha.

Last edited:

Pilot

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Russian River Row 2 Hill 56 at the Surly Goat

Alpine Duet

Societe The Harlot

Last edited:

alexg

Reaction score

I wanted to try this one for a while just because it's from 3 Fonteinen. Finally found it in a bar in Barcelona. It's pretty good, I'm happy I tried it, but it's not amazing. It's a mixed fermentation porter.

Even warmer... 2011-'12 bottle.

I love that beer, it's such an underrated gueuze. The squared also is one of my favorite Lambics period.

b1os

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No beer today/yesterday but I had these on Sunday/Monday.

Was actually a bit older than expected (bottled 14 months ago). Very dry. Dark, roasted, malts. Some coffee/toffee/whatever. Good, but not spectacular. Cool label/name though.

Bottle-conditioned in 2k13. Rye IPA. Good.

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 104 36.7%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 103 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 36 12.7%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 46 16.3%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 41 14.5%

Forum statistics

Threads