• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Not too many. I called about 2 weeks ago. One 7.5E PTB and one 9.5 NST.

The Cigar NST is a 9.5E...tempted, but I'd probably slip out of a Barrie E. I'm considering a Cap Toe Bal, but I'd prefer my Cigar to be something else.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
UPS stopped into my waiting room to deliver my grail Ravello LWBs today...
Congrats! On to the next grail!!!

Which begs the question... What is your next grail, Doc?

What's your current Alden Line-up? It has to have gotten pretty big by now. (Don't include your AE make-ups, they don't count)

...and of course, wear your grail LWB in good health.

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

All the talk about JCrew and its return policy reminded me that I've been meaning to ask our thread about the following situation I've been having with my JCrew suede LWBs: I bought the suede LWBs back in Feb (with the help of my favorite JCrew stylist's clandestine 25% "price reduction":) and, shortly after beginning to wear them in the spring, noticed--first on the right shoe and then later on the left--that horizontal lines would develop where the shoes would crease due to walking. My initial thought was, "Hey, shoes crease. They're shoes, not Rembrandts after all." However, these "creases" are extensive enough that it comes to appear as though there is no suede material in those sections. I can sometimes use my suede brush and eraser to try to minimize the horizontal lines forming, but they always come back. What further leads me to believe I should look into this is that the pics you other JCrew suede lwb owners post always feature pristine looking suede on the vamp. Do I have a defective shoe and, if so, would it be worth it to talk to JCrew about a replacement?
I have the lines on some Cleverleys too, not sure what the reason is but don't think it's a major issue? Also lot's of Navy CXL ptbs in seconds for the person who was looking for them

Last edited:

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Cigar NST is a 9.5E...tempted, but I'd probably slip out of a Barrie E. I'm considering a Cap Toe Bal, but I'd prefer my Cigar to be something else.

Be patient, and don't compromise on what you really want. That's how you end up with too many shoes that you practically never wear.

BeSpiffington

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

UPS stopped into my waiting room to deliver my grail Ravello LWBs today while I was with a patient. Sure was difficult to keep listening to what the poor patient had to say as I held back my tears of joy and relief
shog%5B1%5D.gif
Btw, please let me add another hearty +1 for Kathy and Joe at DC. They sent me yet another Alden shoehorn, as well as not one, but two extra pairs of Alden laces. Please let me know if anyone needs an extra pair of Alden laces. I'd be glad to send them along your way!
Congratulations Doc on receiving what is my favourite Alden shoe. Wear them in the best of health by friend. Are you happy now?

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
I need to get on that list for ravello LWB. It's settled.

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Be patient, and don't compromise on what you really want.  That's how you end up with too many shoes that you practically never wear. 

Sound advice there, bakes!

sevenfoldtieguy

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Alcibiades: Ravello LWB may be Alden's best single model (especially with these dark brown edged soles Alden DC orders)

It may be Alden's best looking model. Wore mine last night.

For those of you getting in on this run, do they have waterloc soles?

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

The shoemart seconds email is like the fantasy football waiver wire on Tuesday morning.
I had to wake up at 5:50 am on Tuesday to pick up a surging bronco TE.

Nice pickup. I was too low on the wire for him but grabbed Cook in one league and Cameron in the other. Both upgrades at TE for me.

Sounds like we need an Alden fan FF league :)

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score
What does it take to get on the list at DC? Just a phone call? Do you have to be a previous customer?

Morgan

Reaction score

Do I have a defective shoe and, if so, would it be worth it to talk to JCrew about a replacement?
I have the same issue with my tan suede LWBs from LeatherSoul. It happened immediately, and the lines were set by the third wear. I decided it was patina and moved on.

rydenfan

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

What does it take to get on the list at DC? Just a phone call? Do you have to be a previous customer?

Just give them a ring. It helps to have purchased but they are a great group. Everyone starts as a new customer

Last edited:

tifosi

Tire Kicker
Reaction score

Just give them a ring. It helps to have purchased but they are a great group. Everyone starts as a new customer

Thanks, Ryden. Maybe I'll see what they have in stock and become a customer and get put on the list the same day...haha. Gotta wait a bit to buy anything else at the moment ;-)

Shouldaville

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Be patient, and don't compromise on what you really want. That's how you end up with too many shoes that you practically never wear.

True...thanks. Something a little less formal than a $700 balmoral cap would probably get more use. Still, I'm sure I'll dream of ordering them tonight...hide the phone tomorrow.

Bakes11771

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
True...thanks. Something a little less formal than a $700 balmoral cap would probably get more use. Still, I'm sure I'll dream of ordering them tonight...hide the phone tomorrow.
Full and fair disclosure: I own the Cigar Strait Tip Balmoral from Citi. I haven't worn it yet, but not for lack of wanting to. I haven't had a chance to implement the Mac Break-in Method on them. I think a big question you should ask yourself when considering this shoe is: How often do I wear a suit?

A bit darker than most cigar, but perhaps appropriately so given the formal nature of this shoe, as JermynStreet has pointed out in the past.

Not to defame any reputations, but rather to share my experience...

I was on a list for their Grant Cigar Cap Toe Boot on Commando and they never called me about them. This was about 2 or 3 restocking cycles ago [for that model]. A blessing in disguise really, because I think it was an emotional, Alden Frenzy motivated decision, and that make-up wouldn't have fit my style very well. However, the lesson is: don't rely on them calling you. Sounds as though they may have become more organized with these size reservations since then, but that's my story pertaining to their "lists".

Hopefully they don't sell my Thor Boot to someone else, should they ever come in.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.8%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.0%

Forum statistics

Threads