***The official Alden thread *** Share enthusiasm, reviews, sizing, advice, and photos.

Discussion in 'Streetwear and Denim' started by jet, Nov 3, 2008.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. rydenfan

rydenfan Senior member

NAMOR, I would likely play. How much is Marbury going for?

2. NAMOR

NAMOR Senior member

300! yen

Last edited: Sep 11, 2013

3. Shawnc

Shawnc Senior member

Bear with me on this but how would I go about checking on availability and pricing? Unless I misunderstood your post, which I thought indicated that these were on sale.

4. schmallo15

schmallo15 Senior member

Can anyone comment on how differently a pair of Aldens fit when they are lined vs. unlined? It seems like the unlined pair would fit slightly larger. Is that accurate?

5. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

That Grail list is hard to disagree with. Very well thought out. Ravello LHS is at or near the top of mine too, although I'll require a C width, which will make things challenging. Hell of a collection you've got there. Way more extensive than mine. Alden Shoes > Koi pond, but I guess that's just part of being married. Glad I didn't dick around with AE and just reached strait for the Alden shell. I know that there are many out there who will argue that AE is nice too and has a place along side Alden in a well rounded shoe wardrobe, but my advice to people who tell me that they are lusting after their first pair of AEs is to skip the pipe and go right for the needle, which is Alden Shell Cordovan.

Ya, most stock photos don't do the shoes justice. I've went to meet shoes in person before after having only seen their profile pic online, and they were way hotter in real life than I had expected them to be.

I took that pic with an 8.2megapixel point and shoot, but recently realized that my phone is 11megapix, so now I use that instead.

I bought them to wear with a suit, because I have Tassels, LHSs and non-alden shoes to wear with dress pants/shirts.

6. Bakes11771

Bakes11771 Senior member

Not sure there is a general consensus on this. Some say bigger, some say smaller, a larger group will probably say same size.

Personally, my Unlined LHS are a half size LARGER than my lined LHS, which is counter intuitive.

7. ReppTiePrepster

ReppTiePrepster Senior member

Hey Doc, is it the lighting in the pic, or are these Ravellos particularly darker than most? They almost look like they could pass for cigar. My ravello LWB from Alden DC (from about 1.5 yrs ago) are pretty dark and have the dark brown edge, but yours look even darker.

Whatever the case may be, you have an exquisite shoe my friend! Wear often and in great health! [​IMG]

8. budapest12

budapest12 Senior member

It must be the lighting - I had the same thought, but I am sure they are not really that dark.

If they are lusting after cigar and ravello Alden Shell, I would like to tell them to reach for that pipe...

9. JermynStreet

JermynStreet Senior member

And I stand by my determination. My dark brown shell captoe bals are one of my favorite pairs of Alden's. For some reason, the shape of this model with its long, smooth surfaces really allows the the olive and brown hues to pop. If you are perplexed by what they go with, try pairing them with a blue-midnight blue, a charcoal, or a light blue poplin pair of slacks, and I assure you that you will not be disappointed. Great purchase, and enjoy them after they are broken in.

10. docalden2013

docalden2013 Senior member

Thanks, my friend. I appreciate it. I'm happier than ever--and not just because of the ravellos. My wife and I just watched our little boy start first grade this week in a new school in a new neighborhood. We were thrilled to hear him come home and say, "This is the best school I've ever been to!"

11. docalden2013

Good luck with your grail search my friend.

I hope I didn't sound disrespectful about AE. I have their Rutledges and continue to get compliments on them on suit days. The quality is certainly fine. I was just complaining because I drank the Kool Aid on their Larchmonts before I realized how much more sturdy and versatile Alden lwb's were. To both AE and Alden wearers, enjoy in good health!

12. 100 yrs

100 yrs Senior member

I have the 29634F and it is indeed on barrie (i got a c width and there's no way i could wear a c width leydon). the suede is most likely also barrie, however, NRO had a suede blucher this summer on the leydon (it was lined)

edit: looks like NRO also did a cxl ptb on leydon, but it likely has a different style #

13. docalden2013

Thanks RTP!! Joe at DC told me they were on the darker side, but still, Budapest is right--it's the rather dim lighting in my office and my crummy iPhone. I'll try to do a comparison pic once I give the shells the long overdue Mac love.

14. unipair guy

unipair guy Affiliate Vendor

Please pm me with your size and I will check to see if we have them. To confirm they are on sale.

15. sevenfoldtieguy

sevenfoldtieguy Senior member

I really like Alden. I also really like variety.

No one in the modern day, on the whole, does shell like Alden. The finish, the shine, etc. Florsheim, back in the day, was Alden's equal, as even Mac has been heard to say. And of course some British makers - e.g., C&J and EG - have some splendid shell models from time to time. The C&J for RL shell line is fantastic.

But with that said about Alden, there is more to it than that, such as last, fit, style availability, etc.. - at least for some of us. For example, my feet and Alden's PTB Barrie last, for the most part, don't see eye to eye. Note: I own, or have owned, all shell colors in Alden's PTB model. For my feet, AE's 1 last (shell Leeds) is much better than Alden's Barrie for PTBs. Also, AE does MTO's , such as the Walnut shell on Dainite PTB (Leeds) they made for me a few months ago.

IMO, AE, as well as many other English makers, etc., shell and calf, have a place along side Alden shell in a well rounded shoe wardrobe.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.