• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The obvious sinks in

Lear

Reaction score
When I started weight training I probably used to consume X calories, made up of 75% wholesome goodness and 25% ***** rubbish.

I was finding it slow going to shape up and put on muscle.

However, I'm now probably eating the same X calories but this time comprising of 95% wholesome goodness and only 5% crap. I'm shaping up pretty well even thought the scales don't show much of a drop in weight.

I am not well read on matters of nutrition or even exercise; but it is quite a revelation to see the maths add up.

This is probably obvious to most of you on this forum. It's just that I wouldn't have believed the importance of cutting the rubbish but not the calories, if I hadn't experienced it upon my own body.

I guess calories in themselves aren't everything
smile.gif

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
well, as you continue in a weight training program you'll get better results anyways because of increased hormone levels, so it's not necessarily all because of your food intake. It's not necessary to be obsessively manipulating every facet of your diet, just make sure your macronutrient balance isn't fucked up and that you're not eating things with no nutritional value whatsoever and you'll probably be fine.

Lear

Reaction score
Thanks for that info.

I had always eaten well (really). It was just the extra that I'd stuff down myself whenever I was invited out, on weekends, social events or just felt like a little chocolate treat (which seemed to be every day).

I've never been into diets or going hungry. I was just trying to say that it's hard to realize, you can be eating too much, whilst at the same time not eating enough.

The other revelations have been the staggering amount of calories in a Starbucks mocha with (extra) whipped cream.

Also, that shrugs and squats absolutely do work for me.

That breathing deep and exhaling on the final push means I can bench more .

That the gym session doesn't have to go on for ever. I'm pretty much in like Flynn and out like a Style Forumite who's accidentally wandered into Abercrombie & Fitch
laugh.gif

Mame

Reaction score
Calorie counting is a waste of time, just eat good healthy food and lots of freash produce.

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
no its not. it generally is a waste of time if youre eating right.

whacked

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
no its not. it generally is a waste of time if youre eating right.

Define eating right.

Anyway, it's entirely possible to pig out, or at least gain mad weight, just eating "good healthy food and lots of fresh produce". Been there, done that. kthxbai,

West24

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Originally Posted by whacked
Define eating right.

Anyway, it's entirely possible to pig out, or at least gain mad weight, just eating "good healthy food and lots of fresh produce". Been there, done that. kthxbai,

define pig out, define mad weight, define just eating, kthnxbai.

Epaulet

Affiliate Vendor
Affiliate Vendor
Reaction score
Originally Posted by Mame
Calorie counting is a waste of time, just eat good healthy food and lots of freash produce.

Maybe if you're 17 with an insane metabolism.

Now that I'm north of 30, I definitely have to watch the calories - lest I start looking like an extra on the King of Queens.

I don't think that counting every point is something that most normal people have to do, but I definitely think about the overall caloric content of every meal that I eat.

For the most part. Then I'll take a trip to Europe and somehow have 3000 calories of beer in one sitting - thereby blowing everything to ****.

kwilkinson

Having a Ball
Reaction score
Originally Posted by West24
define pig out, define mad weight, define just eating, kthnxbai.

Look those up in the dictionary and you'll find me!
teacha.gif

Seriously though, my entire life I ate healthfully. Balanced diet, healthy foods. but when I got to college I started eating it like crazy, and I gained a lot of weight. And no, for me i know it was the food b/c I still exercised as much as normal, and I didn't start drinking until 2 months ago. I just ate way too fuckin much food, and I gained weight (like 35 pounds, in case you're wondering what "mad weight" is), even though the food was healthy.

J'aimelescravates

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I don't think going from one extreme to another is very healthy. You do not need to have a calculator with you every time you are dining. But, being aware of what you are eating, how much junk food you've consumed recently and how much your diet is nutritionally balanced or skewed is important.

Mame

Reaction score
Wow, who knew saying "eat a healthy, well balanced diet" would cause so many people to think I'm an idiot.

And i stand by my statement.

Healthy well balanced meals is the way to go, carrying around a little book your whole life trying to add up you "points" should be left to golf players.

also there is a vast difference with being "skinny" and "healthy" I know alot of people who have great bodies but are lacking in energy and always get sick, because they don't eat a balanced diet.

But go ahead and call me names for my opinion.... i don't mind.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 93 35.9%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 30 11.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 43 16.6%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 39 15.1%

Forum statistics

Threads