• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

mez28

Reaction score
Just in general, is he high end? I don't like blowing more than $150 or so at the tailor on a single suit. This is obviously contingent on how much work I need done, but it's usually pretty standard alterations.

In general, yeah he's definitely high end. That said, I'm constantly amazed by his attention to detail and have not regretted bringing anything to him (or paying the prices). Really outstanding tailor, and a great guy too.

Last edited:

RedLeg

Reaction score
I'm new to NYC and have yet to make it to a tailor, so I'm just getting a sense of prices. I have a backlog of 3 suits to be done, a couple pairs of pants and 2 sportcoats. That obviously adds up to quite a bit.

There's a guy on my block I might try out, Apel's Custom Tailors. Seems like he did a decent job on a suit for one of my roomates. One of the suit jackets needs to be shortened though, which i'm not comfortable giving to just anyone.

I would obviously prefer to take it all to one place, but a 250 bill per suit doesnt make sense when yourbsuits are only 400 or so each.

Winston S.

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm new to NYC and have yet to make it to a tailor, so I'm just getting a sense of prices. I have a backlog of 3 suits to be done, a couple pairs of pants and 2 sportcoats. That obviously adds up to quite a bit.
There's a guy on my block I might try out, Apel's Custom Tailors. Seems like he did a decent job on a suit for one of my roomates. One of the suit jackets needs to be shortened though, which i'm not comfortable giving to just anyone.
I would obviously prefer to take it all to one place, but a 250 bill per suit doesnt make sense when yourbsuits are only 400 or so each.

I didn't think it was possible to get the body of a suit jacket shortened or maybe it's just cost prohibitive.

CousinDonuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I didn't think it was possible to get the body of a suit jacket shortened or maybe it's just cost prohibitive.

In theory you can, but then you have to be mindful of button stance and pocket placement. Everything should be proportional and hacking at a main feature could throw it off quickly.

RedLeg

Reaction score
In theory you can, but then you have to be mindful of button stance and pocket placement. Everything should be proportional and hacking at a main feature could throw it off quickly.
Exactly why it needs to be done by a professional. In my experience, you can shorten some jackets by an inch or so, but you need a tailor who knows where that fine line is.

deez nuts

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
i have a size L cotton twill varsity jacket coming in and would like to get it altered to closer to a size M, in NYC. any suggestions of tailors that go good work, reasonably priced? thanks!

msulinski

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I found a tailor (in a dry cleaner) that does same-day alterations. I don't remember the name, but they are at 50th and 8th on the southeast side, in the same building as the Palm. You have to specify same-day, and it costs more. I wouldn't necessarily trust them with extensive alterations, but for pants or sleeves in a pinch, they are fine

Arethusa

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Brooklyn (park slope), but I can travel: need a bunch of buttons replaced on a coat and button holes partially closed. Not difficult work, but tedious and slightly unusual. Any recommendations?

B Hamilton

Reaction score
Hey, been a loyal LNC customer for awhile and during my last trip learned that they'll be shutting down in a few weeks time.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads