• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

spreadcollar

Reaction score
I'm probably repeating a lot of things:

Wilfred's - I am sick of the BS at Wilfred's. They've done good work for me before but they've fucked up twice in recent memory. Manny is a good guy, but I don't know wtf is going on with their quality control. Apparently, I am not the only one.

Bhambi - The work is good (had sleeves shortened at the shoulder on a suit jacket), but proportions suspect (sleeves and pant legs a little too long by default).

Orchard Express - The Chinatown dumpling stall of hems. Quick and dirty.

Stanton Tailor - I had a shirt tailored. It fits well but the work was just OK. He wanted to give it a very womanly shape until I explained the situation more clearly.

Last edited:

Jaygatsby28

Reaction score
I've used YW Custom a number of times for simple jobs (repairing hole in elbow $5, cuffs on a rain jacket - with moving of the wrist belt ~$35). She does a decent job. English is limited, but her son is usually there to help with translation. Relatively fast turn around (1 week).

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I have a new Zegna suit which needs the jacket waist taken in. I'm considering Cardelino and Ercole. Anyone tried both and can compare?

taxgenius

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dbc0919

Reaction score
In NYC and have two suits that need major work. Willing to spend what it takes as alternative is to buy new ones. Think both are worth it. Looking to shorten sleeves and replace with working button holes, maybe shorten jackets, reshape pants . . . One suit would be sizing down one or two sizes. Abe's custom is near my office. Have read good things about LNC. Can they handle this? Other recommendations? Fairly picky and a bit OCD. Really want this done right and willing to spend within reason.

patrickBOOTH

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

In NYC  and have two suits that need major work. Willing to spend what it takes as alternative is to buy new ones. Think both are worth it. Looking to shorten sleeves and replace with working button holes, maybe shorten jackets, reshape pants . . . One suit would be sizing down one or two sizes. Abe's custom is near my office. Have read good things about LNC.  Can they handle this?  Other recommendations?  Fairly picky and a bit OCD.  Really want this done right and willing to spend within reason. 

Replace working buttonholes? How is that possible? If you are that picky get new suits made.

Last edited:

Dbc0919

Reaction score
Ok, so maybe that wasn't that clear. I want to shorten the sleeves and replace (the faux button holes that are there now, that will have to be taken out) with working button holes.

swolfod

Reaction score
Has LNC raised price recently? I went in today to have a sportcoat sleeves shortened and waist taken in, 3 shirts sleeves shortened, 2 of which darted on the back, and was quoted $130 and 10 days turnaround, as I looked at the break down the sportcoat costed $70 and the shirts $60.

Was definitely not on the expensive end but still a little higher than I expected, especially considering that I should be taking advantage of Cantonese speaking Asian discount
mwink[1].gif

Last edited:

Testudo_Aubreii

Reaction score

Has LNC raised price recently? I went in today to have a sportcoat sleeves shortened and waist taken in, 3 shirts sleeves shortened, 2 of which darted on the back, and was quoted $130 and 10 days turnaround, as I looked at the break down the sportcoat costed $70 and the shirts $60.

Was definitely not on the expensive end but still a little higher than I expected, especially considering that I should be taking advantage of Cantonese speaking Asian discount 
mwink%5B1%5D.gif

No idea, but since you speak Cantonese: Do you know whether they still custom-make clothes? About six years ago, SF member chorse tried them for pants, with decent results.

Dbc0919

Reaction score

mwink[1].gif

Had work done there a couple of times. First time, had pants hemmed, waist and seat taken. Cost was $30. Second time, two pair of pants, tapered. $50. ($25 each). Seemed like the first time was much better deal but $25 to have pants tapered is a whole lot cheaper than my dry cleaner. I think he just makes up a number when your standing there.

Harper

Reaction score
FWIW - I'm sitting on a pile of clothes that need to be altered and was leaning towards either LNC or Stanton due to the reviews here, but it just seemed crazy to go to Chinatown or the LES when I'm in Midtown. When I read about the Panta sale at Cego I figured I would just bring some stuff into Cardelino as it's across the street. He hemmed 3 trousers and one pair of jeans (trousers =$15/jeans =$18) and also took the seat in on one of the trousers and didn't charge me. That might have been an oversight on his part (I just noticed it's not on the receipt) so your mileage may vary. He also shortened the sleeves on a jacket that had faux buttonholes. (It's a fully canvased Cantarelli with Carlo Barbera fabric - you think they would know better). When I showed him the sleeves he said shortening them would not be a problem but I would lose the fake buttonhole stitching. The cost was $35 for the sleeves.

I mentioned upfront that I was particular and he seemed unfazed so I took that as a positive. I finally got around to picking the stuff up today and I'm very pleased with the work. Again, no major surgery here, but I explained to him how I liked my pants/sleeves to fit and that is what I got. As for consistency, I plan on bringing in more stuff in a couple of weeks, so we'll see. But so far so good.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads