• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Dbc0919

Reaction score
When you say "sewing on the sleeve buttons with non-functional holes" are you saying they sewed faux button holes on the sleeve for $8? Just to be clear, to me, non-functioning holes are the sewn on faux button holes on off the rack suits.

BaileyShanks

Reaction score
When you say "sewing on the sleeve buttons with non-functional holes" are you saying they sewed faux button holes on the sleeve for $8? Just to be clear, to me, non-functioning holes are the sewn on faux button holes on off the rack suits.

Some OTR suits come with the sleeves basted and cuff buttons in a bag in the pocket for your tailor to attach. This suit is one of those.

I'm not having functioning cuffs this once because it's irreversible and there was one case in this thread in which the poster was disappointed in the button spacing he received at Cardelino. Since this is my first time using him, I wanted to wait until after I saw how I liked the work to do permanent holes.

Last edited:

Dbc0919

Reaction score

Some OTR suits come with the sleeves basted and cuff buttons in a bag in the pocket for your tailor to attach. This suit is one of those.

Got it. Familiar with the type of OTR suit you got but was confused with you saying "non-functional holes." To me, your tailor sewed the buttons on the sleeve with no holes at all. The reason I asked in the first place is that I have had occasion to have faux button holes sewn on a jacket sleeve and based on what I paid, $8 would be a real steal.

Last edited:

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I'm not having functioning cuffs this once because it's irreversible and there was one case in this thread in which the poster was disappointed in the button spacing he received at Cardelino. Since this is my first time using him, I wanted to wait until after I saw how I liked the work to do permanent holes.

Have you been happy with the work you've had done at Cardelino? Thinking about looking for a new tailor, and Cardelino keeps coming up...

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Hi folks, used Pierre of Paris on 7th Avenue and 35th Street for alterations. Really good guy and strong attention to detail which I like - had them take in the sides (from the front) of a couple of sportcoats and suits and he also took the time to fix up the pattern and vents. Also quick turnaround. Only negative was the price, which was on the higher side. Otherwise, a really strong recommendation on my end.

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Hi folks, used Pierre of Paris on 7th Avenue and 35th Street for alterations. Really good guy and strong attention to detail which I like - had them take in the sides (from the front) of a couple of sportcoats and suits and he also took the time to fix up the pattern and vents. Also quick turnaround. Only negative was the price, which was on the higher side. Otherwise, a really strong recommendation on my end.

If you don't mind, could you tell us how much? I have also heard good things about him, but also that he is expensive.

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The last sportcoat I had altered cost $100 - take in sides (from the front) and adjust vent balance (double venting). I also had two other sportcoats altered by him which were $75/alteration IIRC. Currently have a PRL tuxedo with him that I expect will be pricey...

aravenel

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The last sportcoat I had altered cost $100 - take in sides (from the front) and adjust vent balance (double venting). I also had two other sportcoats altered by him which were $75/alteration IIRC. Currently have a PRL tuxedo with him that I expect will be pricey...

Cripes... That doesn't seem too bad. And what was included in the other two SCs? I just paid $140 to have sleeves shortened, waist taken in, and coat shortened by an inch (admittedly, this last one is tricky) at my tailor.

Last edited:

stant62

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Cripes... That doesn't seem too bad. And what was included in the other two SCs? I just paid $140 to have sleeves shortened, waist taken in, and coat shortened by an inch (admittedly, this last one is tricky) at my tailor.

Sleeves shortened and sides taken in. Cannot remember if he adjusted the vents for one of the sportcoats.

Ennius

Reaction score
Hi Folks,

I have several wool trousers that need to have the rise shortened a bit. The Black Fleece sizing isnt diverse enough.

Anyway would you think Cardelino (or Pierre) would be able to do this or tell me it aint worth it?

Thanks

norcaltransplant

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Finally had the time to get some shirt sleeves shortened. Called Allmeier Shirts (an old mainstay).

Shortening now starts at $15.50

wiredrob

Reaction score
Have pants from a suit I got on eBay that need a lot of work (remove pleats, seriously slim pants, drop waistband). My suburban northern NJ tailor said the pants needed a full recut and it was beyond him. Stopped in to LNC today for first time and he refused to do recut, suggested I buy new pants instead. I thought they did this work? Oh well. Also LNC was closing for a month.

Am now considering either Wilfreds or Cardelino's.

Which would be more reliable? Any other suggestions for recutting pants?

ThinkDerm

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Have pants from a suit I got on eBay that need a lot of work (remove pleats, seriously slim pants, drop waistband). My suburban northern NJ tailor said the pants needed a full recut and it was beyond him. Stopped in to LNC today for first time and he refused to do recut, suggested I buy new pants instead. I thought they did this work? Oh well. Also LNC was closing for a month.

Am now considering either Wilfreds or Cardelino's.

Which would be more reliable? Any other suggestions for recutting pants?

is LNC reopening?

There was word out that they were closing permanently...

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 91 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 37.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 25 10.3%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 40 16.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.7%

Forum statistics

Threads