1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The (hopefully) definitive thread on NYC tailors

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by tgfny, Jun 20, 2005.

1. Swangerman

Swangerman Senior member

I recently had a peacoat altered at Noble Cleaners in Cobble Hill, BK. The name doesn't scream tailoring but the work is first rate. Re: the peacoat, I had the sleeves lengthened on a 1950s-era peacoat I found at 10 Ft Single. Everything was spot on, especially given the age of the fabric.

I've also had them do a number of pant/jacket alterations ... as well as dramatically tailor a vintage winter-weight glen plaid suit I found at Olafs in Carroll Gardens (shortening the jacket, tapering and shortening the pants, etc). I've never been anything but happy with their work.

Last edited: Jan 12, 2015
  2. super1flavor

super1flavor Senior member

Thanks for some of the recommendations. I've been offline since this last post. I wound up sticking with Ignacio mainly for the reason that I've established a relationship with them and if necessary, I could break their balls if I didn't like the job. I took this Cucinelli jacket to them and as expected, they messed up round 1, but fixed it perfectly on round 2. I've quickly learned having read a lot about tailors on the net, this is pretty much becoming par for the course with most tailors.

Last edited: Feb 1, 2015
  3. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

I'll be i n NYC next month, where should I for alterations on a leather jacket? Sleeves are too short and need to be lengthened, but I' wondering if it's possible since there is a zip...

4. roquesoon

roquesoon Senior member

Anyone have a ballpark estimate on what the following alterations would run me with Wilfred?

Jacket let out at center back
    Jacket sleeves lengthened
    Remove small under-collar roll
    Pant legs let out (at both side seams, to the degree possible)

I'll contact them as well of course, but I'm on something of a short timeline, so wanted to reach out here as well.

Any other recommendations welcome for another competent tailor in Manhattan or Bronx who could do the work in 7 or 8 business days. I hate having to be in a rush, but sometimes it just works out that way...

Thanks in advance.

5. gyasih

gyasih Senior member

How much does Wilfred charge to hem a pair of trousers?

Last edited: Mar 2, 2015
  6. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

Good tailor in FiDi? I work near WTC.

7. pnewelljr

pnewelljr Senior member

No one have any suggestions? I have some sunspel polos I need tapered, but I don't want to spend half the price of the polo just for that.

8. cthip

cthip Senior member

I've only been to a few of tailors in NYC, but none of them wanted to do shirts. They only wanted bigger jobs like suits and sportcoats. I suspect most people would just go to the dry cleaner for something as simple as slimming a polo shirt.

9. Melbush

Melbush Senior member

Wagner right next to the fulton st station seems to ave a good reputation

10. bLaZ3n

bLaZ3n Senior member

Out in Long Island but I don't mind to drive to NYC or any of the boroughs.. but I am looking to get 3-4 pairs of jeans tapered.

11. loxo

loxo Senior member

12. PepeSilvia

PepeSilvia Member

Hi guys, just moved to the city. I have a ton (like 10+) of dress shirts whose cuffs could use a second button. I'm finding that they're not tight enough on my wrist and it looks a little sloppy. Any recommendations for where to go? Also how much should I expect this to cost? I live near 26th and 6th and work in Midtown East.

13. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Any random neighborhood dry cleaner can sew cuff buttons on for you. You don't need a skilled tailor for that. I'd be surprised if the cost was over $10 per shirt

Welcome to NYC!

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  14. ter1413

ter1413 Senior member

+1

Shit...I could do it for $8.
    :eh:

Last edited: May 18, 2015
  15. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

Could someone please recommend me a tailor from their personal experience that does a good job with shirt darts? I have a new T&A shirt I need darts for so would rather not chance it. Preferably in Midtown area. Thanks in advance.

16. mljs54

mljs54 Senior member

No one has gotten darts put into their shirt(s) at a tailor they can recommend?

17. stant62

stant62 Senior member

IMO a reputable dry cleaner near your office should suffice - they're just adding two well-placed seams to the shirt

18. cthip

cthip Senior member

As noted earlier, several of the reputable tailors in this thread are not interested in doing shirts. They have no problem staying busy doing only the bigger jobs.

I'm sure if you look around hard enough you'll find somebody who will do it, but as mentioned above, most of the shirts in Manhattan are tailored by your neighborhood dry cleaner.

You're gonna have to do this the old fashioned way. Use yelp, or call the department stores and find out who they send their tailoring out to.

19. super1flavor

super1flavor Senior member

It's very sad to hear, but Wilfred has become very ill. I'll leave it at that, but doesn't sound good. He had become the most dependable tailor I went to in recent years. It's actually somewhat scary. I might stop buying clothes all together for a while. Had too many other tailors fuck up too good of items. That or I just have every single thing bespoke from here on out..Ugh..

Last edited: May 27, 2015
  20. gdl203

gdl203 Senior member Dubiously Honored Affiliate Vendor

Really? I saw him just last week. He told me they're moving up to midtown in the 50s. If true, that's really sad - he's a great guy, I hope he recovers

Last edited: May 27, 2015