1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

The Architecture Thread

Discussion in 'Fine Living, Home, Design & Auto' started by Connemara, Jan 31, 2009.

1. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I think it's a general rule for everyone that you'll never want to live someplace where you can't shit comfortably.

2 people like this.
  2. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

If I were to live in one of these units I'd plaster the exposed concrete entirely and do grasscloth on at least one wall.

3. HORNS

HORNS Senior member

I'd whittle out some knee notches.

4. otc

otc Senior member

My recollection of the unit I have been in is that none of the walls were concrete, only the ceiling.

I know that some other 2BR units in the building didn't have full-height walls on both bedrooms, so it may have been that the owner covered the concrete at the same time that they were building the walls up to full height (nobody wants to rent a 2BR where one BR isn't isolated from the noise in the living space).

edit: no, looks like their unit always was low-concrete. This is the stock living space from their floorplan website:
    [​IMG]

Really just in a poor location though. Kind of a backwards corner of the loop, down the street from the prison, no food nearby except lunch places that close at night, etc.

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  5. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

I wonder if the zoning around the plot would allow for redevelopment; incentivize a market, some sundries stores, restaurants etc. you'd think that would've started by now.

6. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

7. otc

otc Senior member

I think it was already zoned for it, there just isn't the population to support anything staying open after 6. The Loop pretty much dies at night, and that is the least populated corner of the loop (butting up into the intersection of major highways and rail lines, and unlike the hancock, the sears tower isn't part residential). It is a more interesting building than the crap they have been building over by the lake in the south loop...but those buildings at least benefit from a better location (though it is still a pretty bland neighborhood).

Lot of talk lately of them restarting construction on the Calatrava Spire though...

Last edited: Mar 12, 2014
  8. Hayward

Hayward Senior member

Hope the insurance pays out.

I was actually discussing with a colleague today the whole housing debacle situation San Francisco. Like of course everyone else's. A thought that came to both of our minds was why isn't anyone talking about putting high density housing where Candlestick Park and the Cow Palace are right now? You could make 6000 highly livable units, create incentive to redevelop the streets around the two spaces, and not displace anybody currently in the neighborhood.

I have my own theories as to why this is, which make my blood boil.

9. sugarbutch

Both sites would be great for high-density development, but I wonder how long it would take for the retail to find takers. They'd definitely need to get a supermarket to anchor each development.

10. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

No to particle board walls.

11. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

I agree, this is very impressive. There was a Ted talk about doing a skyscraper in wood.

12. idfnl

idfnl Senior member

Or chinese immigrants.

13. mbaum

mbaum Senior member

Still no SH? Come on, man, don't be a sour puss, come back. You are funny and got taste. A good bulletin board needs 1) strong opinions an 2) folks that can credibly back it up.

Good job, Sugarbutch, for digging out some nice stuff.

Mike

Last edited: Mar 23, 2014
    2 people like this.
  14. lawyerdad

lawyerdad Senior member

Nice view, though.

15. Journeyman

Journeyman Senior member

A house in Wales, in the UK, built on the site of a disused quarry:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. Jason Fournier

Jason Fournier Member

I am an architect that has made my living in the land of shiny things (the Middle East) but love things that are touch by someone with a love of history and material.

A couple of years ago we rented a house in Girona, Spain it was a renovation done by an architect from Barcelona and it is one of the most spectacular homes I've ever been in.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  17. sugarbutch

MOAR BIGGER PICTURES. kthnxbai

18. SkinnyGoomba

SkinnyGoomba Senior member