• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
One note: I'm going to squeeze in a few final posters hopefully this week.

So, the general contributions portion from the community might be delayed a tad.

Apologies for that. If you are interested in posting, then please again wait for the announcement, which I'll post in various venues (WAYWRN, GNAT etc.).

Last edited:

Claghorn

Stylish Dinosaur
Dubiously Honored
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
@Manolo's green knit seems a little out of place F/W

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Too bright green for you?

Maybe we can just ask the question more generally: how bright would you go with ties in f/w?

A light blue might seem very spring/summer focusing just on color, leaving texture, material aside. I have been thinking about how our choices would be different if we lived in sweltering environments, but wanted to honor the seasons. Not enough posters yet from such contexts.

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Even if all the ties are not dimpled?
1f61d.png

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Ok, so a set of posters who've made a similar journey as I, certainly as part of the GNAT thread, will add their thoughts and shots in the next few days.

@heldentenor
@Spandexter
@Newcomer
@Academic2
@jcmeyer
@SeaJen
@archibaldleach
@Coxsackie (when he finishes traveling)

I hope @Leaves , @gdl203 and @gazman70k will update their earlier posts.

Any initial poster again is welcome to add etc.

A few additional calls have gone out, and I'll update as necessary.

It's time to open this thread up to everyone else.

It will soon enough.

Spandexter

Reaction score
Thanks for the invite TweedyProf.

Melbourne has a fairly temperate climate with the summers hotter (low 40's c) than the winters are cooler (low teens c) and as a result my fall/winter weight clothing is fairly limited. Also, given my job is reasonably conservative and generally requires me to wear a suit 80% of time, finding the 10 ties and 5 jackets was a bit of a challenge. Some of these ties might only see daylight 3 or 4 times a year but it doesn't mean I love them any less than any of the others.

Ties

From left to right

1. Henry Carter bi-colour knit
2. Sam Hober olive grenadine
3. Vanda brown neat
4. Panta rust neat
5. Henry Carter wool check
6. Conrad Wu brown neat/madder
7. Henry Carter wool stripe
8. Drakes blue paisley
9. Sam Hober blue grenadine
10. Drakes grey wool

Jackets

It's windy where I work which adds a chill factor to the weather that let's me enjoy breaking out some flannel and cashmere blends.

1. Suit Supply blue flannel
2. Boglioli brown wool/cashmere
3. Isaia blue wool/cashmere heavy hopsac
4. Suit Supply brown wool cashmere check
5. Epaulet blue flannel check

heldentenor

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Thanks, @TweedyProf , for inviting me to contribute. You've given me the perfect opportunity to test out my new camera--apologies for the variations in exposure, as both my partner and myself are getting used to the idiosyncracies of its metering.

The core of my wardrobe is fall/winter garb, both since I have occasion to wear ties most often from September-May and because I live in the coldest major city in the continental United States. In terms of personal taste, I love earthy browns and greens in both my ties and jackets. I employ garza grossa grenadines the way many of the previous posters employ knit ties--to incorporate a solid but textured element into otherwise "busy" ensembles. The rest of my ties include some wool solids and block stripes, but my true loves are wool and silk neats.

My ten ties for fall/winter thus include:

Grenadines: burgundy Shibumi silk, green Bigi wool/silk, brown Exquisite Trimmings silk

Neats: brown Panta silk, rust/orange Drake's wool, green Eidos wool, blue Panta silk

Wool solids and block stripes: brown Panta cashmere, red/navy Henry Carter block stripe, navy Calabrese wool/silk

For jackets, I like tweeds and flannels in medium-heavy weights. "Controls" in each photo are a Kamakura oxford shirt and Rota flannel trousers.

WW Chan in Brown Porter & Harding herringbone (part of a suit but I wear it both as suit and as an odd jacket):

Brown Ring Jacket in Abraham Moon shetland tweed:

Green Canali wool/cashmere:

Navy Samuelsohn for Epaulet Donegal wool:

Brown Eidos wool/cashmere Prince of Wales check:

Last edited:

emptym

Reaction score
Good stuff, guys. The picture quality makes me ashamed to post this bad pic of the till-now-missing velvet jacket and striped tie. Best I could do, though, unfortunately. Need to pull my pants up a bit too.

If you want, TweedyProf, I could edit my first post here to combine all the shots I'll be adding eventually.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Thanks Helden and Spandexter for your contributions, Emptym for further additions (and yes, please collate if you wish--i.e. yes, do put them in one of your posts, perhaps this one, so that one can see them all if reading through the thread).

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Last request as curation period draws to a close:

Those of you who have posted already...to open up the thread a bit more for discussion, I'm inviting comments on fits that you found striking in a positive way.

For example:

Quote a fit of another's if

• It reemphasized to you why certain things work
  • It suggested a pairing you wouldn't have thought would work, but it does
  • It gave you an idea, made a cloth/pattern/texture particularly/more attractive
  • Etc.

Have a look through the gallery and pick as many as you want. Commentary welcome. Don't feel the need to do one big post. Adding comments as we go is great.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Ok, so a set of posters who've made a similar journey as I, certainly as part of the GNAT thread, will add their thoughts and shots in the next few days.

@heldentenor
@Spandexter
@Newcomer
@Academic2
@jcmeyer
@SeaJen
@archibaldleach
@Coxsackie (when he finishes traveling)

[...]

Many thanks for the kind invitation Tweedy Prof. I'll be happy to contribute and will post this week.

Cheers,

Ac

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Forum statistics

Threads