1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

It's a very easy tie to work with.

Pale pink shirt (any kind of pattern -- end on end, small gingham, thin stripe) with a grey flannel chalk stripe (or navy).

I would also experiment with a brown flannel suit, if you wear that sort of thing.

2. Cleav

Cleav Senior member Moderator

Yeah get that Bry, I often will consider pale pink, grey flannel, also have a few (!) pinstripes to throw in.

3. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Any subscribers to this thread have pictures of fits with orange/rust patterned madder or challis? Trying to gauge how much orange is too orange. Please post a pic if you have one.

As the thread is open, all are invited to post good fits for F/W (original posters are invited to update).

4. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

I love orange, so you are getting an over exuberant response. ..

I have 3 orange based ties. And a 4th block stripe with orange. Orange neat and madder.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

possibly more than you asked. Rustic orange rough from vanda for country fits and a block strip with orange.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

2 people like this.
  5. TweedyProf

@WillingToLearn

Thanks, data is good. I often think of this fit from @gdl203

[​IMG]

I had a handle on this madder fabric on the left which would have been ideal, but I waited too long. The one on the right is a bit too orange for me though the lighting is different in the two cases, indirect sunlight on left, I think, and direct indoor on the right. So hard to gauge the colors.

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 28, 2016
  6. WillingToLearn

WillingToLearn Senior member

The top one with the birdseye suit is not as bright as seen in one photo, why I included 2 photos. It's a Cappelli from spring, I02 or I16, although I can't find it on his site at moment, on mobile and his is tough on mobile.

7. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

One of my favorite ties...orange madder from Patrizio.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

6 people like this.
  8. heldentenor

heldentenor Senior member

@PCK1 if you're dropping fit pics of that caliber, you should do a full 10/5 post! Those fits both look outstanding.

9. TweedyProf

Very nice, thanks for posting @PCK1 What's the cloth in the first jacket?.

It's interesting how orange the tie looks in one picture and how much more muted it looks in the rest. This is what gives me pause on the right fabric I posted above: so orange, but if it's more muted irl, then that would be much better.

10. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

The color is most accurate in the first and last pics.

The cloth in the first jacket is Abraham Moon.

11. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I have a rust ancient madder tie from Drakes. I have never worn it -- maybe I should. This second picture is a better representation of the color.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

EDIT: I hardly ever post pictures here so I am not sure how to do a better job posting them.

12. TweedyProf

I'm sure we can help as that's a nice looking tie. Are you doing this from a mobile phone and did you just take the picture?

13. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

I took the 2 photos with an iphone then sent them to my email. I use a PC, but there does not appear to be an easy way to save an image from email to my PC in Windows 10. So what I did was copy the pics into MS Paint and this is the result. I am sure there is a better way, but that is all I could come up with in a pinch.

14. TweedyProf

If you go to SF on your iPhone and hit reply there's a "picture" button which is the third button above the text box. Click on that and then swipe down (on my iPhone, the embed image dialog box is hidden for some reason so it won't be visible until you swipe down...then again, I have an iPhone 5 [​IMG]). There is an "upload from my device" button. Click that and select "photo library." All your photos should come up (e.g. Camera Roll) select that, select picture and then hit submit. I guess you will have to do it twice for two pictures..

15. bry2000

bry2000 Senior member

Another attempt:
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

1 person likes this.
  16. TweedyProf

Let's continue walking through some fall madders. Any members feel positive about paisley madder?

Classic, but how well can actually they be worn. Most are too explosive, in pattern and contrast/color.

That said, I actually like this one which is worn by the gent who runs "Nordic Fit" and who does post in SF occasionally (I don't remember his SF name).

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

It's subdued, low contrast, with autumnal colors in brown, green, and burgundy. Probably as good as it gets for paisley.

1 person likes this.
  17. tchoy

tchoy Senior member

I have this one from Vanda I quite like.

[​IMG]

3 people like this.
  18. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Why would you not feel positive about paisley madder? Sure, some colorways can be garish, but I think that applies to a lot of patterns.

1 person likes this.
  19. PCK1

PCK1 Senior member

I like subdued paisley madder with tweed. too warm right now to wear it but when the times come i will break it out.