• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

DiplomaticTies

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Sorry for the delay, DT.

I am still waiting for some of the latecomers: EFV, gdl, gazman, Manolo, Patrik (Leaves) and a couple of others. I'm hoping to get them through in the next few weeks, but for at least a few, the Spring drops and Winter clearance are taking their time, or there's travel etc. I'm not pushing too hard only because it's all community service so to speak.

I will definitely post in WAYWRN when I get the above through, hopefully in two weeks? I'd like to see more contributions too.

OK, sounds reasonable.

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to ask the "kick-off" posters, you old hands, to please try to post by the end of this week so as to then allow us to open the thread up to the community say next week.

@EFV
@gdl203
@Manolo
@Leaves
@_AMD

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but will add to the list. In the meantime, I'm asking @smittycl to hold onto that really nice sneak-peek and to repost next week. Looks really nice.

Last edited:

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
OK, I'm going to ask the "kick-off" posters, you old hands, to please try to post by the end of this week so as to then allow us to open the thread up to the community say next week.

@EFV
@gdl203
@Manolo
@Leaves
@_AMD

I'm sure I'm forgetting someone but will add to the list. In the meantime, I'm asking @smittycl to hold onto that really nice sneak-peek and to repost next week. Looks really nice.

Lol I was just about to compliment him on those nice jackets and adventurous tie collection

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The jackets were really nice @Pliny but in fairness to @DiplomaticTies , the kick-off folks have to get their posts done as I noted. So, I've pm-ed smittycl to let him know and to encourage him to post next week.

Which means, if you have any others you want to post now, to link more closely with your original post, might be good to do it (or take pics now for the Spring-Summer edition).

smittycl

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks for the reputation!
nod[1].gif

Manolo

Reaction score

Ok, here we go.

From the top
  1. Bespoke mid blue herringbone shetland tweed sport coat. A MTM shirt in a dongegal fleck och stripe pattern from the store Linnegatan 2 in Sweden. A burgundy grenadine tie from Berg & Berg and a pocket square from Monsieur Fox
  2. Same blue jacket. MTM shirt from Shirtonomy with bd collar. Drakes ancient madder bespoke silk tie and a Drakes pocket square
  3. Solito Napoli guncheck bespoke sport coat. Emmett London MTM oxford shirt. A Macclesfield silk print tie from Exquisite Trimmings. Drakes London pocket square
  4. Same Solito jacket. Bespoke chambray shirt from Luca Avitabile. Drakes London brown grenadine tie. Pocket square from Simonnot Godard
  5. MTM sport coat from Sartoria Partenopea in blue Donegal/flannel. Bespoke shirt from Fralbo Napoli. Bottle green grenadine tie from Drakes London and pocket square from Poszetka
  6. Same sport coat but with a small check MTM shirt from Barba Napoli with bd collar. A silk knit tie from Paul Stuart and Drakes London pocket square
  7. MTM sport coat from the store Linnegatan 2 in a Porter & Harding Glorious twelfth cloth. A MTM bd collar shirt from Shirtonomy. Drakes striped grenadine tie and linen pocket square from Vanda Fine Clothing
  8. Same sport coat. MTM Donegal fleck/stripe MTM shirt from Linnegatan 2. Navy grenadine tie Drakes London and silk pocket square from Rampley & Co
  9. Heavy Harris Tweed bespoke sport coat in cloth by Holland & Sherry. Oxford MTM shirt from Emmett London, Drakes wool tie and pocket square from Poszetka
  10. Same sport coat. Bepsoke chambray shirt Luca Avitabile, bespoke tie in Donegal wool from E.G Cappelli and silk pocket square from HNW London

When I look at my photos the conclusion is that I like casual ties and fabrics and brown, green and navy colors. I prefer a look I like to call formal rustic or “City-shire”…

PCK1

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The Harris Tweed is awesome.

Academic2

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
[...]

I am still waiting for some of the latecomers: EFV, gdl, gazman, Manolo, Patrik (Leaves) and a couple of others. I'm hoping to get them through in the next few weeks, but for at least a few, the Spring drops and Winter clearance are taking their time, or there's travel etc. I'm not pushing too hard only because it's all community service so to speak.

I will definitely post in WAYWRN when I get the above through, hopefully in two weeks? I'd like to see more contributions too.

This is a terrific thread, and thanks again to TweedyProf for taking on all this work.

I see no rush here. This isn’t intended to be a high-traffic thread. Quite the contrary, it’s meant to be a long-term resource and it's shaping up to be successful as such. I’d rather get it right than get it fast; it takes as long as it takes. I doubt I’m alone in that sentiment.

Again, thanks @TweedyProf .

Cheers,

Ac

Pliny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Ok, here we go.

From the top
  1. Bespoke mid blue herringbone shetland tweed sport coat. A MTM shirt in a dongegal fleck och stripe pattern from the store Linnegatan 2 in Sweden. A burgundy grenadine tie from Berg & Berg and a pocket square from Monsieur Fox
  2. Same blue jacket. MTM shirt from Shirtonomy with bd collar. Drakes ancient madder bespoke silk tie and a Drakes pocket square
  3. Solito Napoli guncheck bespoke sport coat. Emmett London MTM oxford shirt. A Macclesfield silk print tie from Exquisite Trimmings. Drakes London pocket square
  4. Same Solito jacket. Bespoke chambray shirt from Luca Avitabile. Drakes London brown grenadine tie. Pocket square from Simonnot Godard
  5. MTM sport coat from Sartoria Partenopea in blue Donegal/flannel. Bespoke shirt from Fralbo Napoli. Bottle green grenadine tie from Drakes London and pocket square from Poszetka
  6. Same sport coat but with a small check MTM shirt from Barba Napoli with bd collar. A silk knit tie from Paul Stuart and Drakes London pocket square
  7. MTM sport coat from the store Linnegatan 2 in a Porter & Harding Glorious twelfth cloth. A MTM bd collar shirt from Shirtonomy. Drakes striped grenadine tie and linen pocket square from Vanda Fine Clothing
  8. Same sport coat. MTM Donegal fleck/stripe MTM shirt from Linnegatan 2. Navy grenadine tie Drakes London and silk pocket square from Rampley & Co
  9. Heavy Harris Tweed bespoke sport coat in cloth by Holland & Sherry. Oxford MTM shirt from Emmett London, Drakes wool tie and pocket square from Poszetka
  10. Same sport coat. Bepsoke chambray shirt Luca Avitabile, bespoke tie in Donegal wool from E.G Cappelli and silk pocket square from HNW London

When I look at my photos the conclusion is that I like casual ties and fabrics and brown, green and navy colors. I prefer a look I like to call formal rustic or “City-shire”…

Wonderful stuff Manolo. I'm confused tho'- it's probably my monitor, but r u saying that #7 & #8 are P&H GT? Looks like Solaro to me. Again, wonderful pieces.

Last edited:

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
I wanted to postpone my posting in this thread for a couple of days, since I've recently cleared out a bunch of jackets and have a few new ones coming in (I also have a few ties coming in). ATM, I don't think I have 5 jackets I deem optimal for the season. However, since I promised to participate, I'll post anyway.

For F/W season (which Sweden is still in) I mostly stick to earthy colours, and the year-round appropriate navy. This is not very typical for Swedes I guess, but it's my preference. Green, brown, orange, purple et c, are my go to colours during this time of year. These colours lend themselves well to more casual takes on classic clothes as well, which is also a personal preference.

Anyway, since I had to pick out 5 jackets from the very small collection of jackets that I still have in my wardrobe, I picked these (please forgive the un-ironed shirt):

Navy merino safari inspired sport coat. Isn't actually meant as part of a suit, but I made one for Pitti nonetheless:

I don't know why, but the colour doesn't look right here. Anyway, it's a dark moss green tweed jacket with rust windowpane checks.

A purple sport coat with check pattern. May sound a bit out there, but is surprisingly easy to match.

Barleycorn 3 patch tweed jacket. Actuallt part of a suit, but works well with light grey odd trousers.

Brown corduroy jacket. I recently realized that I need to get more corduroy jackets. Can be worn with both wool and cotton trousers of varying colours. Also part of a suit, but I mostly wear it as a separate.

I have way too many ties, yet I keep using the same 5-10 ties all the time. Probably means I need to clean some old stuff out. These are the 10 ties geeting most wear atm:

Olive/brown silk knit.

Brown tweed..

Light brown wool.

Burnt orange wool.

Rust silk with floral pattern.

Multi coloured big paisley silk.

Green wool.

Green wool with floral pattern.

Blue silk.

Blue wool.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
@EFV

Thanks Erik. I didn't mean to rush you and you should post more when you get the new jackets in please.

I suspect the green with rust windowpane was worn at Pitti as well as the top? Do feel free to post those "action" shots here too, but the above are very nice as is.

Manolo

Reaction score

Wonderful stuff Manolo.  I'm confused tho'-  it's probably my monitor, but r u saying that #7 & #8 are P&H GT?  Looks like Solaro to me.   Again, wonderful pieces.

Hi. Thanks
Might be the light. Its a fine herringbone from P&H Glorious twelfth bunch

EFV

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score

@EFV

Thanks Erik. I didn't mean to rush you and you should post more when you get the new jackets in please.

I suspect the green with rust windowpane was worn at Pitti as well as the top? Do feel free to post those "action" shots here too, but the above are very nice as is.

Cheers, no worries. I just felt like I could give a better representation. Anyway, weirdly enough (considering where I live), I have way more stuff for an S/S version of this. Added action shots for all the jackets.

Last edited:

TweedyProf

Distinguished Member
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Cheers, no worries. I just felt like I could give a better representation. Anyway, weirdly enough (considering where I live), I have way more stuff for an S/S version of this. Added action shots for all the jackets.

There my be a S/S version of this, though we'll get there in a few months possibly, if I have the energy.

In the meantime, do feel free to update as things come in. Further posts are appreciated.

I just noted the action shots!

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 86 38.1%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 35 15.5%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.9%

Forum statistics

Threads