1. And... we're back. You'll notice that all of your images are back as well, as are our beloved emoticons, including the infamous :foo: We have also worked with our server folks and developers to fix the issues that were slowing down the site.

There is still work to be done - the images in existing sigs are not yet linked, for example, and we are working on a way to get the images to load faster - which will improve the performance of the site, especially on the pages with a ton of images, and we will continue to work diligently on that and keep you updated.

Cheers,

Fok on behalf of the entire Styleforum team
    Dismiss Notice

TEN TIES, FIVE JACKETS (10/5 THREAD): Fall-Winter Edition

Discussion in 'Classic Menswear' started by TweedyProf, Feb 8, 2016.

Tags:
  1. TweedyProf

TweedyProf Senior member Dubiously Honored

Ok, I have two more coming up this evening or tomorrow, after which we'll probably open this up to everyone in the next few days.

Other "kick off" posters, please submit soon or at least enter a comment that you can edit later.

2. TweedyProf

@gazman70k assures me he'll post something, though he travels a bit.

@Leaves I saw an interesting fabric today on someone's IG. [​IMG]

3. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

My thanks to TweedyProf, both for inviting me and for allowing me a few suits (as a few of you know I’m mostly a suit guy).

I had originally hoped not to duplicate too closely what’s already been posted and said. For example, I agree entirely (as I’m sure we all do) with the discussion upthread about the usefulness of solid ties if wearing patterned jackets, and had hoped not to post any solid ties so as not to belabor an already established point. Alas I’m really pressed for time right now, so I have had to go with what I have available, and thus a couple of solid ties are included here.

In each case the first jacket/suit outfit is something I’ve already posted, mostly over on WAYWRN. It will then be followed by a second photo of the jacket taken yesterday with a different tie. Spoilered at the end will be a few shots of some of my collection for the amusement of the brethren. Finally, let me acknowledge that photographic quality isn’t up to the highest standard: all photos were taken with my Canon PowerShot 95 point-and-shoot.

(1) The last thing this thread needs is more herringbone tweed, especially given the beautiful examples already posted but it’s getting some anyway. Sorry.
    A very rustic tweed jacket worn first with a brown knit tie and then with a wool houndstooth.

[​IMG]

Close-up of tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(2) While part of a three-piece suit as shown here, I wouldn’t hesitate to wear this heavy tweed jacket with different trousers (sans vest, of course); that’s more easily doable with country tweed than with other fabrics, of course. Shown first with a burgundy grenadine and then in a less countrified setting with a burgundy neat/medallion challis.

[​IMG]

Close-up of tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(3) A lighter tweed (both in weight and color) worn first with a sold brown tie and then with a wool plaid.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(4) While again part of a suit, I also wouldn’t hesitate to wear this very heavy and nappy flannel jacket with patch pockets as an odd jacket (cream or winter white flannel comes to mind for the trousers; or, perhaps even better, corduroy in the same range of colors). Shown first with a very dusty-finished madder-like neat, and then with a Drake’s grenadine for a very slightly less countrified look.

[​IMG]

Close-up of tie:

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

(5) Well, I doubt I could convince North Americans to wear this flannel-like suit coat as an odd jacket, but I might have some success with a few of our older English members, where striped 'blazers' are not unknown; imagine it with dark trousers. Shown first with a large-scale paisley and then, a bit less flamboyantly, with a wool neat.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

===========================================================

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    11 people like this.
  4. Coxsackie

Coxsackie Senior member

@Academic2 , clearly you need more ties in your collection.

2 people like this.
  5. jcmeyer

jcmeyer Senior member

It's like an episode of Menswear Hoarders up in here.

3 people like this.
  6. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Sorry, gentlemen. I have just deleted the material in question since despite being spoilered it was, alas, showing up in the 'Gallery', which as indicated was not my intention.

Cheers,

Ac [​IMG]

Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  7. sugarbutch

sugarbutch Senior member Dubiously Honored

Dammit, I missed the "material in question"!

1 person likes this.
  8. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

@Academic2 , please send me that burgundy madder. Thank you.

1 person likes this.
  9. TweedyProf

Ok so final days of curation. I think I can announce

@_AMD
    @Sander
    @NewYorkIslander

as posting in the very near future. This will give us a nice set of perspectives. The remaining kick-off posters are heartily invited to update, add, comment, or post, both now and in the future.

For example, having done a few exchanges (old ties out, new ties in), I might add this or its sibling into the mix (@Murlsquirl this is similar to the Hober challis I think you like above from Ac2; PM if you are interested in the source):

[​IMG]

It's more burgundy irl...perhaps _AMD will also demonstrate its use.

10. TweedyProf

On imminent opening of thread

I'll soon announce the opening of the thread to all members of SF. Thanks for your patience, but hopefully, you've appreciated the first set of posters as presenting a nice, varied set of examples, for thought, inspiration, and instruction. I know I've benefited on all three fronts.

I'm aiming for Friday, to hopefully give the stragglers a few more days. Please look for announcement here and in various threads.

Also, keep an eye out for the S/S edition some months down the road...

11. _AMD

_AMD Senior member

@TweedyProf, I appreciate the purpose of this thread, as well as being asked to contribute to it. I haven't had a chance to take good photos of the ties or jackets individually, but I will get some combinations that include my selections posted, and then edit from there. I also need to add a disclaimer that my lighting and photography skills are both severely lacking.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The next two are suits (the first only to show the tie), not jackets, but I see that others have stretched the rules a bit so I am following suit. Also, the Agnelli Tweed is too much of a favorite of mine to not be included in a F/W round-up.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

16 people like this.
  12. Academic2

Academic2 Senior member

Last edited: Mar 9, 2016
  13. Murlsquirl

Murlsquirl Senior member Moderator

14. Sander

Sander Senior member

Thanks @TweedyProf for the invite, it was a lot of fun thinking this through. Here's my take. I went for maximum versatility + covering all kinds of events from a night at the Opera to casual Sunday stroll.

Jackets/suits:
    Navy flannel suit (can be dressed up or down, jacket can be worn separate)
    Green tweed jacket
    Brown tweed jacket
    Light brown/hazel POW suit (jacket can be worn separately, planned)
    Wildcard (this could either be another navy/lighter blue jacket or an absolutely crazy check)

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Three grenadine ties (which alone would cover 99% of possible outfits):
    - grey (only for the navy suit, for formal occasions)
    - navy (can be worn with anything)
    - brown (can also be worn with almost anything)

(grey and navy see above)

[​IMG]

Three stripes/repps:
    - Burgundy ground
    - green ground
    - brown ground

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Three printed ties:
    - navy printed (paired with light blue, very versatile)
    - brown printed
    - rust printed (with the rest being so versatile, you can have some fun with this one)

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

- one red wool/cashmere for very casual fits

[​IMG]

The last two pics I stole from my buddy @braddock since I had no good shots of those ties myself. This really was fun and now I'm actually quite convinced I could go through life with those jackets and ties. In the summer, I'd have to go naked, but it's warm anyway, so... Or we could do another one of these when it actually turns spring. Let's see.

Last edited: Mar 10, 2016
    24 people like this.
  15. Leaves

Leaves Senior member Affiliate Vendor

Some pure awesomeness in this thread. Great stuff guys! Niels must be the best dressed man in Germany in decades. He's the Franz Beckenbauer of German #menswear. I'm gonna start calling him Der Kaiser.

6 people like this.
  16. SeaJen

SeaJen Senior member

I approached this task by browsing through my fit pics over the last few F/Ws to see what I appeared to gravitate towards most. This isn't necessarily the most versatile selection, in that case. Since I have over 30 sport coats, I dont need things to be especially versatile. As such, I included no solid navy blazers although I have 5 and would obviously describe them as the most versatile of jackets. What strikes me is that I wish I had more gun club in my closet, and that I really regret selling the aubergine cashmere Zegna.
    So my five jackets are:

Tan and brown Glen Check (work with Henry Carter challis)
    [​IMG]

Burgundy Windowpane (work with Samuelsohn cashmere knit)
    [​IMG]

Air force blue Glen Check (worn with Calabrese wool gingham)
    [​IMG]

Green-brown windowpane (worn with Panta rust neat)
    [​IMG]

Aubergine Glen Check (worn with Mitchell's grey-green wool/cashmere)
    [​IMG]

For ties, I had to restrict my selection to those that I felt were actually seasonal, since I will wear crunchy silk knits and shantung year round, and even some lighter wool ties outside of the colder months too, especially the Calabrese wool gingham below. Anyway, here are the ties (apologies for the hasty, kitchen-counter photography)

L-R: Sozzi navy diamiond wool knit; Mitchell's grey-green wool/cashmere; Brooks Bros olive green knit; Peter Millar green wool; Calabrese brown wool gingham

[​IMG]

Brooks Bros brown neat; Panta rust neat; Henry Carter brown challis; Vintage burgundy (less red than it appears here) challis; Samuelsohn brown cashmere knit.
    [​IMG]

11 people like this.
  17. TweedyProf

Nice posts today! @SeaJen 30 jackets! As a fellow academic, I'm jealous and impressed. @Sander , you should get @Braddock to provide some input, though he will have to use a picture of yours to even it out.

Thanks also for your thoughtful comments, gentleman.

@SpooPoker has let me know that he might also post something in the near future.

Gentlemen, thanks for helping to end the "curated" period on such a strong note, and to all contributors.

2 people like this.
  18. Sander

Sander Senior member

I'd laugh, but that's a very unkaiserlike thing to do.

4 people like this.
  19. cezinho

cezinho Senior member

first of all thank you @TweedyProf for the invitation to the thread.
    not sure I have much to contribute since only recently I started to wear ties more frequently therefore there are still many basics to be covered but anyway I will try to post here some of the ones that I enjoy most.

first winter ties:

wool challis EG Cappelli.
    Jacket : Orazio Luciano
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Grenadines EG C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Silk / Twill / madder EG C

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Shibumi:
    [​IMG]

HN White
    [​IMG]

hope you like it.

Thank you

Last edited: Mar 11, 2016
    24 people like this.
  20. TweedyProf

That's great @cezinho . I should say I had both invited and hounded him into posting. But now you can see why.

1 person likes this.