• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

tats

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
we have recently raised the question of various bizarre things people have done to their bodies. Aside from a misadvised peirced ear in high school, I have refrained from making holes in myself. I have, however, a small and tasteful tattoo (I'll see if I can get a picture) concieved of as a way to get over a girlfriend and part of an early midlife crisis.

anybody else?

Bradford

Current Events Moderator
Reaction score
I don't begrudge them to anyone - I've just never figured out what I would get that I would still want to have 20 years or more from now.

Bradford

Nonk

Reaction score
No way, dreadful.

Also I prefer scars (not self inflicted or "art"), the tattoos money can't buy.

Tokyo Slim

In Time Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I have a medium/small dragon right below my collar on my back that I got as a 18th birthday present. I rarely remember that it's there unless someone reminds me.

I also have numerous "real" scars on my hands and arms from work, fighting, and snakes.

ken

Banned by Request
Reaction score
I don't begrudge them to anyone - I've just never figured out what I would get that I would still want to have 20 years or more from now.

Bradford
I've got a pretty good amount of body coverage, and I'll say this: the only reason I've ever regretted a tattoo is that it wasn't big enough. Then again, I'm just 21 and have only been getting tattooed for 4 or 5 years. Next week I'm planning on growing up and wondering why the hell I've got weird pictures all over my body.

My old man is 54 and just started getting them last year. Here's a thought: wait until you're older so you have less time to regret them. It's never too late to start.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have one that I am still very happy with. I would probrably not have gone out and done it today, but I still think that the picture was a god one. it is a matisse drawing that was the first real artwork that blew me away. since is is a simple line drawing, it is very minimalistic. since it is simple and slightly primative, people with less exposure to art often think it is home made. it is on the back of my calf, one of the parts of my body that I really like, and that is seen by very very few people.

one of my son's friends father has a very large collection of tatoos. he recently had a portrait of his 3 year old daughter done across his chest in chilling realism. that crosses too many lines for me.

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've got a couple of scars from years ago from fights, something that looking back, I think was stupid but do not regret having done.  Also, lots of scars from years of mountainbiking accidents - that what happens when one sucks at that particular sport (I do) but insists on trying stuff anyway. Also, some scars from falling down. Come to think of it, some of those scars from fighting also came from falling down. Yeah, I was a really tough dude y'all.

Tattoos are cool - but I've never served in the military, am not part of a gang, am not nearly bad enough to be a "One Man Gang" (loved that guy in the old WWF days) and, as Bradford says, have never come up with something really meaningful that I am certain I will not regret 20 years hence.

topcatny

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
I never took the plunge and got the tatoos I considered (a basketball going through the net on my ankle, conceived when I was playing college basketball and an eagle on my back in between my shoulder blades) and in hindsight I am glad I never did it. The basketball one would just be somewhat out of place now and I am not nearly as built and bad ass as I was when I considered the eagle (I was 6'4" 235 approaching a 52L in jacket with a 34 -35 waist and worked out like a fiend)

Scars I have though. A bunch of small ones on my hand from HS football. A nice 5 inch one on my ankle from reconstructive surgery and 3 small scars on my knee from arthroscopic surgery that are mostly faded away now.

Steve B.

Go Spurs Go
Reaction score
2 on my back, one on each shoulder blade. One's a griffin, and one a magician. My view on life has changed, and I probably wouldn't get them now, but I like them and have never regretted having them done.

PeterMetro

Reaction score
I have two - a small raven on my leg and a dragon head on my back - from shoulders to ass. Took a long time, a lot of pain, a lot of money. Japanese dudes think I'm yakuza - nope, just a regular type of fella: Henny sippin, marijuana smokin, block-dweller.

globetrotter

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
2 on my back, one on each shoulder blade. One's a griffin, and one a magician. My view on life has changed, and I probably wouldn't get them now, but I like them and have never regretted having them done.
I read once an interview with some young celebraty who talked about how her tatoos were symbols of her state of mind at that particular time, and she could "document her progress" in life by the changes in her taste and feelings about them. although I thought she was an idiot, that message struck me. I wouldn't do it again, but I don't regret now having a little reminder of my state of mind at the time.

Brian SD

Reaction score
(Steve B. @ Jan. 19 2005,13:24) 2 on my back, one on each shoulder blade. One's a griffin, and one a magician. My view on life has changed, and I probably wouldn't get them now, but I like them and have never regretted having them done.
I read once an interview with some young celebraty who talked about how her tatoos were symbols of her state of mind at that particular time, and she could "document her progress" in life by the changes in her taste and feelings about them. although I thought she was an idiot, that message struck me. I wouldn't do it again, but I don't regret now having a little reminder of my state of mind at the time.
I am feeling the same way right now. I would like a tattoo, but I just have not thought of anything compelling enough to get. I want some sort of permanent memory of my youth, besides the 100-stitch scar on my stomach.

drizzt3117

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
I have some nice scars on my right knee from reconstructive knee surgery, and some other nice ones on ankles and a couple on my knuckles from fights, no tattoos though.

marc37

Reaction score
l am now at the age where l consider myself ready to get tatoos - lf l get them l will only have half my life to regret it [instead of my whole life], that is the advantage of getting them in later years. l would like to get tatts along both of my arms and a big dragon on my chest but my partner doesn't like them. She said l can only have one small one.

l don't like tatts on the legs.

Women look great with tatts, very sexy.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.2%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.4%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 17.0%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.4%

Staff online

Forum statistics