• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

So we are close to where we finished the day last Wednesday.  It is like the market just brushed off Brexit Friday and Monday and carried on.  This all while everyone says the world is slowing down.  Weird and scary market.

Well. They may have brushed off the impact of brexit on US companies...but it still blows pretty hard if you are GBP based or have large GBP holdings:

MSchapiro

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well. They may have brushed off the impact of brexit on US companies...but it still blows pretty hard if you are GBP based or have large GBP holdings:
By not taking a job in England I made 1/3rd more. Now it's literally 50% more. Got lucky with that choice.

I am buying lots of tea from my favorite English tea shop though.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Sir we have negative margins!

Don't worry, we'll make up for it on volume!

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Did a fair amount of trading so far today...

Decided to take some winnings off the table:
- Sold my position in CLDT at 22, bought at 21. So a 5% little window and will wait for it to go down again. Was originally going to wait until 23.5 but figured more likely to go down 5% than up 5%.
- Sold my position in LXP. Has done really well for me. Sold at 10.25 and was buying it from 7-9 range, could go higher to 11+ but I think I was at about a 15-20% return from where I bought it so happy enough to lose the dividend and wait for it to drop or move the money elsewhere.
- Trimmed a bit of GLF since it was up 10-15%. Bought some shares at 3.10, sold 3.4-3.5, quick 10-15% return from Monday to Friday. I'll take it! Will buy a lot more if it goes down to that 3-3.10 range again.
- Trimmed some NFLX. Bought some shares at 85 on Monday, sold them today for 96.5. Was going to wait until 101 but I think it's just the week recovery and it might go back down next week plus Cannacord (?) initiated coverage with a buy rating and target of 120 so it's up 5-6% today. I think it's optimistic so sold some shares while the going's good and will buy more if it comes down back to around 90-91.

Added and opened new positions too:
- MU, looks like a mixed report. And the stock was doing so well too.... le sigh. Anyway, just added about 30% to my position at 12.50 this morning and will sell it off around 14 (this portion) if it can get there. Will add more at 12 down to 11 if it happens. Was hoping to be out of this one but it's ok, will just average down and eventually get out ideally at 15-17 long term.
- HIMX so they've been on my list for a while and I held them some time last year. CTO is retiring but will stay on the board. Opened a small position at 7.7 today and will buy down to 7 and if it goes under 7 then will double down in the 6 range. Hoping to sell it at 8 and 9.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
LOL at the London banker's freaking out

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Still been pushing $1k a day into my wisebanyan account.

Went through with selling my snap-on position yesterday. Not sure where I am going to redirect that money yet. Probably just bolster existing investments rather than buying something new.

I'm becoming less and less stoked on actually having to make investing decisions. I'm not 100% satisfied with wisebanyan, but I am pretty happy with it.

If they (or one of the other robo-advisors) could offer a few more features, I might basically stop thinking about investing and save myself a good deal of mental time.
1) Would like a little more control over the investment mix. No reason they can't keep the "automatic rebalancing, investment of new deposits, tax loss harvesting, etc." thing going, but allow me to tweak the ratios of domestic/foreign/bonds/reits, etc. Just keep the same algorithms in place, but instead of a single adjustment for risk appetite, let me cut back on the amount of bonds and foreign funds I hold.
2) Coordinate with outside accounts. Sure I could move my IRA and taxable accounts under their umbrella, but I can't put my 401k there. But there is no reason they couldn't monitor my 401k as a part of the rebalancing algorithm (just make larger adjustments to the IRA...or if it gets too out of wack, send me a notification that I need to shuffle around 401k funds). Also helpful to stop it from making tax loss harvesting decisions that are counteracted by 401k investments. On the non-taxable side..if I *really* want to buy some AAPL or TSLA...just keep an eye on that account--if I have 10% of my portfolio there, then sell off some of the S&P500 fund to balance it out.

Master-Classter

Distinguished Member
Spamminator Moderator
Reaction score
Also since I think maybe it was you ^ who brought up SWHC but they've been up fairly high recently. I think I sold it off around 24 and was debating hanging in for higher but took the money to allocate elsewhere. Still, proof again of how high it can go. If it gets back under 22 I'd get in again and ride it up higher than 24 this time.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Still been pushing $1k a day into my wisebanyan account.

I'm becoming less and less stoked on actually having to make investing decisions. I'm not 100% satisfied with wisebanyan, but I am pretty happy with it.

I'm meh on it. I've been chipping money in weekly via a SEP IRA, but definitely wouldn't push a grand a day over there. I'm basically flat and it's been close to 2 years. Not exactly a return. I've given it to the end of this year, but if I don't start seeing gains, I'm pulling the plug and taking control.

Last edited:

SkinnyGoomba

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
It is fairly unnerving at how quickly this mess was brushed off by the market. Not sure what is pushing new highs....maybe money moving to the US, all of my safe haven stocks are really puffed up at this point.

Bank stocks are still crap, and BAC a 2.5 cent dividend raise is encouraging but I'm hoping in the next few years they can put them more in line with their peers. They're at 1.5% yield and aren't even trading at book value. I really think they could have gone for a 10 cent dividend, but part of me is glad that they're pushing stock buybacks more at this point. Most companies buy when their stock is expensive, but BAC is buying now, when their stock is cheap (hopefully!).

Last edited:

Piobaire

Not left of center?
Reaction score
Just tallied the portfolio and am up slightly from pre-Brexit so I'm not displeased but am left wondering when the other shoe will fall.

REITs...anyone had a good book or website to read about investing in them? How to analyze, documents to exam, etc? I know what they are of course but have never considered playing with them. In the last several months they continue to come to my attention though so thought I'd get motivated enough to read up on them a bit.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

....maybe money moving to the US, all of my safe haven stocks are really puffed up at this point.

It's this, no question.

Bank stocks are still crap, and BAC a 2.5 cent dividend raise is encouraging but I'm hoping in the next few years they can put them more in line with their peers. They're at 1.5% yield and aren't even trading at book value. I really think they could have gone for a 10 cent dividend, but part of me is glad that they're pushing stock buybacks more at this point. Most companies buy when their stock is expensive, but BAC is buying now, when their stock is cheap (hopefully!).

The result of the last stress test was positive, so it's good news for banks. I'm still positive long term. I really like CS right now because everyone hates it, 6.6% dividend is sweet, unfortunately only paid yearly.

jbarwick

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Up 2.4% on the year and 1.3% in the 2nd quarter. Slightly ahead of the S&P but our bond and international holdings were the main culprits of lower performance.

otc

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

Just tallied the portfolio and am up slightly from pre-Brexit so I'm not displeased but am left wondering when the other shoe will fall.

REITs...anyone had a good book or website to read about investing in them? How to analyze, documents to exam, etc? I know what they are of course but have never considered playing with them. In the last several months they continue to come to my attention though so thought I'd get motivated enough to read up on them a bit.

You sold your old place right? Still, even with the current house alone, how much of your assets are tied up in real estate?

If I bought property, I would immediately be cutting out a lot of the REIT holdings I currently have. At the very least, transitioning the ones that deal with residential property to be more commercial focused.

A single home obviously lacks the diversification, but don't forget that it represents a lot of exposure to the market.

idfnl

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Bought more BAC today

Featured Sponsor

Do You Consider Sustainability When Purchasing Clothes?

• Always - Sustainability is a top priority in all my clothing purchases.

• Often - I frequently consider sustainability, but it isn't the main factor in my decisions.

• Rarely - I seldom consider sustainability when purchasing clothes.

• Never - Sustainability is not a factor I consider in my clothing choices.

Results are only viewable after voting.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JSC8