• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I don't think it's up to them at this point. Well, they have the power to really push for what would be necessary to fix the EZ, but they won't. Because the only answer requires German inflation, and they've made it clear that that will never, ever happen. Damn the torpedoes, let the whole world burn down, but there will not be any goddamn inflation.
If Italy gives its creditors a haircut (which at this point, I see as the only viable solution to Italy's debt woes, which are in vicious circle mode and bound to get only worse from here), then there will be bank runs, bank failures, and a credit crunch/freeze. It will be too late to save the EZ then. The periphery/EUSouth will need to devalue, and because Germany is only going to allow that through crippling, brutal deflation, the periphery will see leaving the Eurozone as a more humane and desirable option. And on a political level, people in the periphery/South will start to resent what they see as German imposition of economic despair, and elect anti-EZ leaders.
The only way to prevent this is to save Italy -- which would require an ECB willing to act as lender of last resort and willing to make hundreds of billions of euros of bond purchases from troubled sovereigns. And Germany ain't about to let that happen.

All good points, but I think the EZ stays together. Germany will negotiate more control over the purse strings for other countries in the future though.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Whew, thank Christ we ******* closed our short position yesterday!

Although we're short again today at 123.48 on SPY ... :embar:

stevent

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Debating whether I should close some positions, couldn't close the last few big gains, maybe now is the time

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
Well, cards on the table time. Here's what I like over the next 6 to 12 mos.

NFLX
GRPN
BAC
ACTC sweet sweet ACTC
GOOG
Here's what I don't like

PFE
LKND
S - This stock is a zombie even if the T deal falls through with T-Mobile
AAPL - I'm going to say this, this company will no longer be on the cutting edge of producing stuff. They'll make record profits for the next 5 years or so, but the days of them being the go to innovator are over.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Whew, thank Christ we ******* closed our short position yesterday!
Although we're short again today at 123.48 on SPY ... :embar:

Good thing you did, but didn't you break your trading rules by not following algo?

Saltricks

Reaction score

Well, cards on the table time. Here's what I like over the next 6 to 12 mos.
NFLX
GRPN
BAC
ACTC sweet sweet ACTC
GOOG
Here's what I don't like
PFE
LKND
S - This stock is a zombie even if the T deal falls through with T-Mobile
AAPL - I'm going to say this, this company will no longer be on the cutting edge of producing stuff. They'll make record profits for the next 5 years or so, but the days of them being the go to innovator are over.

Pretty much agree except perhaps NFLX.

What is your stance on BAC? I know its going to move soon, but I'm not sure the direction. I have both calls and puts on it, so as long as it doesn't stagnate I'm good.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

What is your stance on BAC? I know its going to move soon, but I'm not sure the direction. I have both calls and puts on it, so as long as it doesn't stagnate I'm good.

I have 19k shares long so hopefully it doesn't move red :D

Slopho

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

I think BAC is going to have a monster 1st and 2nd quarter of 2012. I can see them moving quickly to $10.

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
The expectations for first quarter is set at a really low bar hard not to beat it. the US economy's slowly getting better. I think 2012 will be a good year. won't be a straight shot up like 2009's rally, but 2012-2013 we'll grind it out for some good gains.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

The expectations for first quarter is set at a really low bar hard not to beat it. the US economy's slowly getting better. I think 2012 will be a good year. won't be a straight shot up like 2009's rally, but 2012-2013 we'll grind it out for some good gains.

You're not worried about an EZ collapse?

CYstyle

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
It's the things out of control of us that worries me more when holding stocks, Tsunami, terrorist attack, earthquakes etc.

NameBack

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

It's the things out of control of us that worries me more when holding stocks, Tsunami, terrorist attack, earthquakes etc.

I find that surprising. I think the EZ is incredibly mismanaged, and it's bound to pull stocks down.

javyn

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
GLUU just busted out of a reverse H&S pattern on high volume. Don't know if it's riding Zynga's coattails, or the wild successes of their last two games - CK Zombies and Blood & Glory, or the release today of James Frey's "Nightworld" game + ebook, or the opening of their Chinese store, or the fact that while the stock tanked the last few months, revenues have been increasing; whatever the reason, I'll take it. Rock on.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 92 37.6%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 26 10.6%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 41 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.5%

Forum statistics

Threads