Talking stocks, trading, and investing in general

Discussion in 'Business, Careers & Education' started by mikeman, Feb 2, 2011.

1. javyn

javyn Senior member

IMO it *ALL* depends on how well Zynga can break off mommy's titty (Facebook). I don't have great faith that they can, at least, not compared to more nimble competitors who already have platform neutral systems in place. I guess though, with all that money they raise, they can just buy their way out of trouble from competitors for a while. *shrug

Way it seems to me, even with all the buzz, Zynga is going to be a long term loser just like Nintendo.

Of course, I'm rarely correct, about anything.

Last edited: Dec 2, 2011

2. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

I still have no idea how your trading algorithm works, but i hope your learning a lot from first hand experience.

3. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Facebook + zyna look like losers long term 5-10 years, short term though, momentum carries stocks to retarded stupid highs. With the economy improving in the next couple years, This newer generation's engineers are getting to their 30's and getting married and will start to invest, and into the only thing they understand. the companies they work for and other social media companies.They'll drive these internet stocks into the new bubble.I'll sit on the sidelines and short it on the way down :D. then to go to my 10 year hs reunion and buy them a round of drinks with the money they made for me.

4. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Yeah, we're definitely learning. We're taking another look at our backtesting and realizing that we're really just gonna have to stick it out for six months or so before we have any kind of good idea if it works or not. We were sort of hoping we could have a decent idea within the first couple months, but it just isn't possible.

Last edited: Dec 3, 2011

5. chogall

chogall Senior member

WTB SMURFBERRIES!!!

6. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

For those keeping track (i.e. no one, I'm sure), we'll be opening a long position tomorrow at open. We ate serious shit on our short position last week, up about 0.1% overall since going live with real cash.

7. stevent

stevent Senior member

Is that what your algo says to do? Or just what you guys want to do?

8. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Always what the algo says. We don't do anything else. :)

9. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

what the fuck just happened?

10. legorogel

legorogel Senior member

i keep track of it :D

But i'm a bit skeptic, because the market in europe is at the moment driven by politics, not by fundamental data or anything remotely rational.

Last edited: Dec 5, 2011

11. CYstyle

CYstyle Senior member

Think you need to look at your trading strategy. Your algorithm tells you to go long or short at open. What really does the algorithm do? Then you close a winning position end of day, hold losing positions for 3 days? why do you do that?

I feel like a trading algorithm that can compete with high frequency traders gives you an edge and can make you money. but an algorithm that tells you whether to go short or long the next day may be a losing strat. You can guess what the market is going to do just based on headlines in the news and taking a look at the futures and get it right most of the time.

12. NameBack

NameBack Senior member

Eh, I think we often overestimate how much the market is news-driven. I mean, news obviously prompts significant changes in prices, but how that news is interpreted and which news is paid attention to are of dubious consistency. Last week we rallied on domestic data despite rising Euro-area bond yields. This week, we fall on creditwatch. It varies.

In any case, in simulation we had a pretty great run where it was hitting political events on the way up and on the way back down (or vice versa) with ease, so I'm pretty confident. We're not really going to know if this thing works for 6 months or so. This is only week 3.

13. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

Do you think you trade more with the Algo so you don't have to look in the mirror and blame yourself when something goes wrong?

14. Saltricks

Saltricks Senior member

Question: Anyone buy BAC at 5.00?

Also, bought back into GERN at 1.60, Looking for a retrace to over 2. NVIV is correcting itself after that big news, looking to buy more shares at 1.60 as well. Life is good! Any news on ACTC? :)

15. Slopho

Slopho Senior member

I'm still holding BAC from $6.80. ACTC just appointed two new members to its BOD. Looking for efficacy data either before the end of the year or early January.