• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D Theory? (CM's Free For All Help Thread)

jlchau

Reaction score
What do you think about Mandarin collars with pullovers? I used to have a few and I regret getting rid of them. AS for tunics I've never experimented with them but I have always liked the look of them. Might give it a try.

I just picked up the EG banded collar long shirt in white, a combination of all those things. Having a hard time trying to make it work, but I'm not giving up yet.

Lorcan7

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's my favorite one so far, certainly in terms of the color combination.

you got the hang of SW&D style photography too

LA Guy

Opposite Santa
Admin
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Thanks. It took me a while to realize the CM "robo" pose wasn't going to cut it.
The robo pose is one of the silliest things ever. It grew out of an attempt to "show the fit of the clothes". One of the most respected tailors I know once told me: "There is no such thing as a perfect fit. If it fits perfectly when you are standing "naturally" in a three-way mirror, it will not fit perfectly if you are walking, or sitting. What type of fool wants to stand the same way all the time?"

Re. your outfit, with the fit of those pants calls for a loose, easy top. The problem with a buttoned up shirt is that it can look messy in a bad way. Try a popover shirt. I think that @gdl203 has a few, maybe by Niche? They are easier to wear than a straight up tunic, for most guys. And while you are at at it, i would strongly recommend footwear with a bit more body. That, or footwear that is extremely slim and casual, like suede espadrilles. I personally like the Apache mocs (and have a pair that have worn into the ground) that are made by Heschung, but there are many alternatives.

Murlsquirl

The Moral Squirrel
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
The robo pose is one of the silliest things ever. It grew out of an attempt to "show the fit of the clothes". One of the most respected tailors I know once told me: "There is no such thing as a perfect fit. If it fits perfectly when you are standing "naturally" in a three-way mirror, it will not fit perfectly if you are walking, or sitting. What type of fool wants to stand the same way all the time?"

Re. your outfit, with the fit of those pants calls for a loose, easy top. The problem with a buttoned up shirt is that it can look messy in a bad way. Try a popover shirt. I think that @gdl203 has a few, maybe by Niche? They are easier to wear than a straight up tunic, for most guys. And while you are at at it, i would strongly recommend footwear with a bit more body. That, or footwear that is extremely slim and casual, like suede espadrilles. I personally like the Apache mocs (and have a pair that have worn into the ground) that are made by Heschung, but there are many alternatives.

All of this.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score

That's true. I have gotten away from robo pose even in my CM fits. However I have noticed that my CM photos still have a more or less straight up pose. Don't ask me why. Maybe I feel like the fit is still important to show (which I think it is) but at the same time I want to give an indication of how it looks in a natural situation. Thanks for the input on my last fit. Footwear is a major weakness in my SWD game. I have a ton of shoes, nearly all of which are CM. I'm slowly amassing a better collection of casual shoes but it is a work in progress. I am also lacking in casual shirts that aren't graphic tees. Something that is also slowly being corrected. Will checkout both popovers and tunics.

onbooze

Reaction score
FWIW, I thought the yellow shirt was looking good and drap-ey already. Going further down that road could improve the look, though.

Am really enjoying this thread. I think it is only lately that I have understood the fact that a SW&D wardrobe comes with time and the fabrication/cultivation of an image, rather than a variety of very specific purchases.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
Thanks for the feedback. I think the shirt I am wearing is about as drapey as I am willing to go for me personally in that fit. I can definitely see how others might be able to pull off a really full shirt though. I think I am slowly and tentatively beginning to establish a "look" of my own. Even if it is still very much a work in progress.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 97 36.9%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 94 35.7%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 32 12.2%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 44 16.7%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 40 15.2%

Forum statistics

Threads