• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

SW&D Theory? (CM's Free For All Help Thread)

skeen7908

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score
I'm just going to go ahead and say this was not the right place to ask. In fact this was probably the most plainly inappropriate place to ask

That synthese manifesto was amazing, though

Last edited:

TheloniusDrunk

Reaction score

Pleae see the No Man styling challenge to learn how to wear shorts "right"

I searched “No Man styling challenge” and it didn’t seem to turn up an appropriate thread. Am I missing something obvious here?

Caveat

Distinguished Member
Reaction score

Dunno if this is the right place to ask, but does anyone know of a store that carries KK Attachment in the states? Or something with a similar aesthetic as their long coats?

The Archive in SF. Suspension Point in Canada will be shipping to the US starting with next season, and occasionally Yoox has some pieces.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

^ aka "pulling an Agnelli"

jackie-and-gianni.jpg

Looks really bad in that outfit, could see it working untucked, I mean I do it with a YSL tuxedo shirt with the same buttoning and it is fine (I think). I guess Agnelli couldn't do casual well either, the CM curse.

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
You're out of your mind. :)

This is a classic mid-70s early-80s high-rise jeans and tucked shirt look!

Last edited:

cadmonkey

Reaction score

The interesting this is that I was raised wearing long Indian style kurtas. I was raised in a Hindu religion after my mom converted (I'm Mexican and Irish incidentally). For so many years I have abandoned that and tried to be just like your average Joe America. I may be ready to look again at the long shirt deal, though admittedly not in the original context that I wore it in as a child.

Methinks this is something you should incorporate going forward. Some of the best things in life are found revisiting those moments that remind you of being a kid. Incorporating them now will most likely force you to get out of your current comfort zone, take more risks, and overall just be more amusing and overall create something that's personal to you. To be honest I find this the case with a lot of things beyond the scope of cool gear.

Last edited:

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score
First photo is fine, dunno about the second one. In the polo-dress shirt thing his jeans look like dress pants-jeans. So he's wearing a dress shirt-polo tucked in dress pants-jeans. That's like really bad, the skeuomorphism of casualwear. Silhouette is also **** although I have nothing against high rise.

I'm not fascinated by Agnelli or anything but I've seen good looks from him before: they were much more formal (i.e. suit). Just like I don't like dumbo's family (British royals) but there's a good pic of one of the old guys with nicely repaired and patched Lobbs (can't find it but it looked absolutely great).

gdl203

Purveyor of the Secret Sauce
Affiliate Vendor
Dubiously Honored
Supporting Member
Reaction score
All of those are very dated. The jeans washes, the rise, the jeans-pants, the ski outfit. It's to give some context. I'm not advocating replicating this look in 2015, although Barima and Labelking tread in those retro waters successfully. They're illustrations of a particular era - in that era Agnelli was on his game, both casual and formal.

That said, the first pic was posted to illustrate the white popover tucked in high rise pants - it's an iconic Agnelli look.

Fuuma

Franchouillard Modasse
Reaction score

All of those are very dated.  The jeans washes, the rise, the jeans-pants, the ski outfit.  It's to give some context.  I'm not advocating replicating this look in 2015, although Barima and Labelking tread in those retro waters successfully.   They're illustrations of a particular era - in that era Agnelli was on his game, both casual and formal.  

That said, the first pic was posted to illustrate the white popover tucked in high rise pants - it's an iconic Agnelli look.

Do you have pics of the popover shirt worn in a more streetwear style? Just curious.

kindofyoung

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
That's pretty good, fabrics are nice/casual and it fits well.
You could probably already guess you'd get this feedback, but the shoes (while nice) are a bit formal/dressy compared to the rest.
Taking inspiration from @Cotton Dockers something like Vans Slip-ons would work well with the rest (White/sand suede ones from their collab with EG for example)

Last edited:

Synthese

Darth Millennial
Dubiously Honored
Reaction score
Looks fine, caustic man - but I would say, and this is a very subjective opinion, that everything you've posted has been firmly CM casual.

Caustic Man

Stylish Dinosaur
Reaction score
That's pretty good, fabrics are nice/casual and it fits well.
You could probably already guess you'd get this feedback, but the shoes (while nice) are a bit formal/dressy compared to the rest.
Taking inspiration from @Cotton Dockers something like Vans Slip-ons would work well with the rest (White/sand suede ones from their collab with EG for example)

Yes, I was already anticipating the shoes comment but I have somewhat of an excuse. Maybe not a good one, but an excuse nonetheless. I just got them and I am trying to let them scuff and rough up on their own. Someday they should look nice and rough but I'm not going to do it artificially. Well, maybe.

Looks fine, caustic man - but I would say, and this is a very subjective opinion, that everything you've posted has been firmly CM casual.

Hmmm, that's an interesting observation because my fits I have posted here have been a big departure from my CM casual stuff. Perhaps compared to some it is closer to CM casual but for me it's quite different.

BD22

Timed Out
Timed Out
Reaction score

I agree. As far as CM vs. SW&D on SF goes, that outfit is in the former camp.

But while CM seems to me a useful category of outfits – reflective of a Western tradition of business dress that's recognized broadly outside of the confines of this community – SW&D seems more aptly categorized as the apparel of a distinct subculture (a subculture, ironically, centered around apparel). Search for a sweatshirt recommend on SF and you better have $100 in your pocket; what happened to the good-old college-logo sweat? Even here in NYC, some of the stuff regularly highlighted in SW&D would seem costumey to the everyman. Drive west a bit and they'd garner hard stares and double-takes. If the goal is simply to wear well-put-together casual outfits, the SW&D's rigid aesthetics are only selectively useful.

I'm on casual CM's side (though I do like canvass slip-ons).

Last edited:

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 85 37.3%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 87 38.2%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 24 10.5%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 36 15.8%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 36 15.8%

Forum statistics

Threads