• Hi, I am the owner and main administrator of Styleforum. If you find the forum useful and fun, please help support it by buying through the posted links on the forum. Our main, very popular sales thread, where the latest and best sales are listed, are posted HERE

Purchases made through some of our links earns a commission for the forum and allows us to do the work of maintaining and improving it. Finally, thanks for being a part of this community. We realize that there are many choices today on the internet, and we have all of you to thank for making Styleforum the foremost destination for discussions of menswear.
  • This site contains affiliate links for which Styleforum may be compensated.
  • STYLE. COMMUNITY. GREAT CLOTHING.

Bored of counting likes on social networks? At Styleforum, you’ll find rousing discussions that go beyond strings of emojis.

Click Here to join Styleforum's thousands of style enthusiasts today!

Styleforum is supported in part by commission earning affiliate links sitewide. Please support us by using them. You may learn more here.

***SW&D Photography Thread***

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
IME post is a better learning experience when you know what you want to learn, generic tutorials and walk throughs are a hot mess and there's way more useability than almost anyone would use, so it's better to work on the things that work for you.

LonerMatt

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
xhbtr_e160dcea-7cd3-4fd6-acdb-fd0ee4adee83_w800.jpg

xhbtr_f3a463bd-e4f9-4714-acbd-1d8f32b26ccd_w800.jpg

xhbtr_9614c6da-6de7-4ccf-98c6-41524beea4be_w800.jpg

xhbtr_94557a44-2d65-4794-818d-86d6163e3042_w800.jpg

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
@Kaplan

with the b&ws are you using a red or orange filter to tone the blue sky or is that just happening with the dslr sensor ?

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
@Kaplan

with the b&ws are you using a red or orange filter to tone the blue sky or is that just happening with the dslr sensor ?

Are you asking about the shots back in post #1153 and 1154? If so, no filters were added and it wasn't a DSLR. Those were taken with the Leica Q2, all jpegs straight out of camera. Though with some in-camera changes to the settings, like using the high contrast setting for the b&w shots and maybe a little added saturation for the colour ones, IIRC.

I've since sold on the Q2 and use a Fuji X100V now (which actually offers b&w + green, yellow or red filter presets in-camera).

double00

Stylish Dinosaur
Supporting Member
Reaction score
apologies , i had to look up the camera , i probably missed a post somewhere . but we're talking digital sensor (in this case ff) and not film , got it .

anyways , to take post 1153 : most of the shots show a really great saturated b+w sky , if i wanted to achieve that sky with film i'd prob have to run a red filter or like a polarizer plus push the development a bit . your b+w skies read really well per stock settings ! whoa .

just to comment a bit on composition and content ( you solicited ! ) , to me the best are the first of 1153 , the treeline and filmy clouds and the one of the fruit tree with the sunburst . you've got a knack for creating a plane-of-sky that really serves a composition and your trees are really tasteful too !

the other one i really like is the first hermitage pic . again , the shadow almost seems like it has a red filter on it . but your choice of vantage pools the foliage and the shadow in a way that really drives the composition and highlights the figure on the walk ahead and roundaboutly connects them to the obscured building . really great ! ( and greatly preferred to bullseye style compositions ;) )

hope to see more !

Kaplan

Distinguished Member
Reaction score
No, I never mentioned what camera was used for those photos. Not sure what magic Leica does to get those results, but adding a red filter to your film camera sounds right, and yes, maybe even a polarizer plus push (also, when shooting b&w on the Fuji X100V I usually add the red filter).

Thanks for your photo comments, I appreciate it.

Two recent shots with the Fuji, from Berlin:

DSCF5805.JPG

DSCF5892.JPG

As always, SOOC. The first with Fuji's Acros b&w film simulation.

Featured Sponsor

How important is full vs half canvas to you for heavier sport jackets?

• Definitely full canvas only

Votes: 93 37.5%
  • Half canvas is fine

Votes: 90 36.3%
  • Really don't care

Votes: 27 10.9%
  • Depends on fabric

Votes: 42 16.9%
  • Depends on price

Votes: 38 15.3%

Forum statistics

Threads